WAG Bruised Ribs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
Anyone have experience trying to come back from bruised ribs? DD had a bad crash on bars 3 weeks ago. Went for xrays and it did not show a break, so we are assuming it is just bruised. Not much they can do for ribs either way. She has been taking it easy and trying to do some conditioning, but just about everything other than toe raises causes her discomfort. Unfortunately, this is occured at the worst time and she already missed 3 meets and it is not looking good for the next 2 at least. Has anyone ever had this? Any suggestions? I know rest is the best advise, but that doesn't work too well with gymnastics. She is wearing kineso tape and likes that the area feels supported. Maybe we just have to wait it out.... :(

PS. I am trying to remind myself to be extremely thankful that it was only her rib and not something so much worse.

you must wait it out. it involves the cartilage also. and keep reminding yourself of the other...:)

Usually the cartilage gets bruised/inflamed and thats what causes the pain. She should be noticing a gradual decrease in pain and if not it might be worth a trip back to the doctor to make sure there is nothing else going on.

If you have a health food store near you, I would suggest Arniflora Arnica Gel. It helps with bruising quite a bit. Doesn't completely get rid of the pain, but it does help quite a bit!

I just got over pretty severely bruised ribs after a fall on beam (a chassé! Who bruises their ribs on a chassé!?) and it took awhile for me to get back to full speed & occasional pain still happens.

Arnica gel + ice + advil

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back