WAG Bruises from bar work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
My daughter has bruises on both hips from doing bar work and also has bruising on the back of her leg from mill circles. She doesn't seem very fazed by it, but they look bad. Maybe they look worse than they feel. We have tried wearing the leotard shorts over her leo, but that doesn't seem to help. Is this just par? I'm guessing maybe so. Can anything be done to lessen the bruising? Probably not?

Just did a search. I guess this is normal. She just learned the mill circle, so that is still a work in progress and sounds like bruising will get better with correct technique.

Just means she is working hard! :) Very normal, and not much can be done. They get used to it quickly, and as they get better at the skill it becomes less of a problem, as there is less contact and friction with the bars. Some girls put a pad in there at first, but it doesn't take them long to want it out of there because it makes the skill harder to do, and most good gymnasts would rather deal with a little pain than not get their skills. :)

I used to get those all the time, but they would only hurt really bad during a meet week. I guess they had a mind of there own. There completely normal especially if she's been working extra had latwly

My DD gets so many bruises from bars and beam that I had to write a note to the school and tell them shes a gymnast and hence the bruises lol..Also helps that HC is a teacher at the other elementary school in the district, and I told my DD's teacher if she has any questions to call up the HC at the other school to verify...

Mine gets bruises all over from the gym, and has no idea how she gets them. Luckily her pediatricians daughter takes classes at the gym, and knows how often DD is there. Looks awful though...

Either velvet shorts that are think or thick under armour knee length capris will help. Small shorts won't always cover enough.

Yes, bruises here, too- covering large areas on her shins (from learning kips) and hips (casting higher, cast handstands, baby giants) They take a long time to go away. (but do so as the skill gets better) It worries family members. It doesn't bother her so much. Like the others, luckily her doc is a former gymnast.

Here is what we do. Purchase a small neoprene velcro back brace. Have her wear it during bars as a mini skirt with the overlapping velcro part in the front. Hip bruising solved.
Ask the coach first though.
regards
coach P

My DD used to wear bandaids on the spots on her hips that the bar hurt the most when she was an old level 3. She said it helped some. However, you just may have to wait it out. I haven't heard about bruises for a few years, so either she stopped complaining about it or she just got used to it. :)

Yup, par for the course! Dds hip area was black and blue when she was working on her front hip circle and then kips... She got a real doozy on her whole shin a few weeks ago working on something.
Our gym doesn't allow the girls to wear any kind of shorts once they are on team.

I haven't done beam in almost two years but I still have a scar on my leg from beam burn.

One time I got beam burn on my face when I over rotated a front tuck on the beam. That was awkward to explain to everyone.

I think this is just a sure sign that my daughter is tougher than I am. :) I am glad to know that it's a common problem. I like the idea of trying the capris or the velcro belt idea. May go the capri route first as I do not want to plant the idea that these awful looking bruises are painful and encourage my sweet little drama queen to start complaining.

Very common! My DD is always covered in bruises. At the moment she has a huge baseball size bruise on her thigh from falling off beam at practice a few weeks ago. She never even mentioned it until I noticed it when she was getting dressed for gym at home one day (most days she goes directly from school to gym on the bus). Apparantly it doesn't hurt very much but it sure looks painful. Her shins are always black and blue from kipping as well.

I know the feeling. When I was first learning upstarts I had permanent bruising all up my shins. In places I even have scars because I hit my shins so hard. And now I have bruises/cuts on my hip bones because I do clear hip to handstand, but when I work them on strap bar my coach gets me to go back to front support, which kills my hips. It looks terrible in my teams high cut comp Leos. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back