Parents Bruises on thumbs from grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nenasmom

Proud Parent
Hoping for some suggestions here...I'm a newbie when it comes to the world of gymnastics and my daughter is getting these briuses on her thumb area from her grips. Is there anything that can be done to help?

Attachments

• 20210322_220059.jpg
    20210322_220059.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
How far up on her wrists are her grips sitting? My grips sit further up my arm and don't rub on my thumbs at all, so it seems weird to me that she would have bruises there. A couple possibilities here but she may either need the grips to be tightened more so they don't slide down the wrist so far, or she may need a larger size grip so that the wrist strap is able to sit further up the arm without being pulled down that far.

Wrist bruises are fairly normal from the grips being so tight, thumb bruises I don't remember ever seeing.

How long has she had the grips / has she grown since she started wearing them / who measured her for the grips? Does she use buckle or velcro?

How far up on her wrists are her grips sitting? My grips sit further up my arm and don't rub on my thumbs at all, so it seems weird to me that she would have bruises there. A couple possibilities here but she may either need the grips to be tightened more so they don't slide down the wrist so far, or she may need a larger size grip so that the wrist strap is able to sit further up the arm without being pulled down that far.

Wrist bruises are fairly normal from the grips being so tight, thumb bruises I don't remember ever seeing.

How long has she had the grips / has she grown since she started wearing them / who measured her for the grips? Does she use buckle or velcro?
They are Reisport velcro grips. Her coach is the one that messaged me what size to get for her so I'm assuming she was measured. They look right according to what her coaches describe and from some videos I've seen. She's new to grips...like 2 months on at 12 hours a week new. I did see one video on YouTube posted by a former gymnast who used the same grips and she cut the leather because she said it rubs. I wonder if maybe that would help but I also don't want to mess with the integrity of the grips...

Get some sand paper or a file and see if you can smooth out the leather a little where it’s rubbing her thumb. We’ve had the most success with treating the hands as well. Letting her hands get pruny then using a pumice stone to remove dead skin from callous prone areas and follow up with a good moisturizer. Some will say to let skin callous, but we never really did. Only two rips to date.....

Get some sand paper or a file and see if you can smooth out the leather a little where it’s rubbing her thumb. We’ve had the most success with treating the hands as well. Letting her hands get pruny then using a pumice stone to remove dead skin from callous prone areas and follow up with a good moisturizer. Some will say to let skin callous, but we never really did. Only two rips to date.....
Will definitely add this in to her routine! Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back