WAG Bun doughnuts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coach1234

Coach
I am going to do his beautiful hairstyle on my gymnasts at the next meet,
image.jpg

as you can see it uses a bun doughnut, I know a lot of the British girls wear bun doughnuts but I was wondering what people use to keep them in, sometimes the top girls wear them for training and I look over and the doughnut is half way down their ponytail during their floor routines, I obviously don't want this to happen to my girls during competition so any parents or gymnasts have any good tips on keeping them in locked in place?
Thanks

Hope you have a looooooooooooot of spare time! That looks super complicated (I note the model in the photo is a plastic head - no way would my 6 year old rapunzel stay still for that, nor would her 3 foot long wavy hair go into those neat plaits). I have tried bun doughnuts, and they work beautifully with a very specific length of hair - too short and it might fall out of the bun, too long and you end up with way too much to wrap around neatly. For her length hair you need a huuugemongous doughnut that makes it look as though a flying saucer has just landed on her head - not necessarily the look you want! Simple is beautiful (and safer in terms of looking good and staying put!)

Following this tutorial -
I don't think you should have a problem keeping the bun in. Just secure with some bobby pins. Obviously, you would have to do the dutch french braid part first and then follow what the girl does in the video, but I think the key might be that little section she leaves out of the bun doughnut in the beginning and then just bobby pins to secure the rest of it. I've done this exact hair tutorial that I linked here for DD's meet before and it held in great.

Good luck, that's ambitious! :)

Just starting to use the doughnut typ bun myself on dancing dd (former studio required real ballet buns). One of the tricks to making them stay is pinning them with bun pins at the base. The ones that open up (hot buns) are easier to use with different lengths on hair. Good luck!! :)

My DD has long hair. To avoid a lot of wrap around we roll her hair down into it. Not only does it keep it more secure but it avoids the "2nd" bun look.

I have been doing a modification (due to lack of skill...lol) of the Sophia bun. What I do is high pony tail, put the donut on and then distribute the hair. Then put a hair tie around the bun twice to hold it tight. Then with all the hair hanging down, I do a quick french braid and circle it around the bun and add pins to hold it in. I don't worry about it being perfect because we put a scrunchie around it.

It is quick and easy and most importantly STAYS IN! My dd has very long hair and this is the only way I have every been able to get a bun to stay.

Good luck

Are you going to try it for a practice first? I would think that the girls would need to get used to how it feels on their head.

Buns (using bun rings) are compulsory for my DD. I put a bun ring over the pony, smooth the hair evenly over it to cover and then add another bobble over the top. Then twist the loose hair and wrap around. I use a mix of long bun pins and standard Kirby grips (20+) Make sure they catch the bun ring as well as the hair (push down from top and then into bun). I use gel if it needs to really last.

Not ideal for anyone doing forward rolls on beam though.

We are forbidden to use bun donuts or rings. We are also forbidden to use bun or bobby pins. We boldly go forth with hair ties, a few clips to secure flyaways, and a hair net. I don't even want to think about what would happen to me if my daughter showed up in a bun donut, but I do know that no one ever seems to want to clean out the pit at the gym thoroughly.

No pins here for the bun donut style.
I use one elastic for the ponytail.
Insert bun donut, fan hair around it.
Secure with another elastic.
Wrap excess hair around the bun a few times (or braid it, then wrap).
Then two more elastics. Cover with scrunchie.

Smooth & rock sold - no pins, 4 elastics. Has held through a full season of L5 without budging.

I have long mid-thickness hair.
For my donut buns that have to last I do the following:

Dampen hair with water, pull into a pony and wrap a good strong, usually new hair tie around (New one as it's not stretched so much and feels tighter in my hair). Place donut over and fan hair around and put another hair tie around. Start to swirl excess hair around, pinning in place as I go. Then spray to keep it in!

For my gymnasts I would do exactly the same, except I'd add a scrunchie!

Shorter/thinner hair might not need the pins!

This one is adorable and I've done it before too! You do need to use a doughnut. However, you're not going to need many bobbie pins because the pieces of hair that you take to make the braid around the bun will actually hold the doughnut down for you. I add about 4-6 bobbie pins around the base of the bun where the braid is just to hold it in place from side-to-side. The trick to the bobbie pins is to turn them upside down and get them to touch and interlock in the middle :) BTW...If your daughter has short or thin hair, you can unroll the doughnut and cut about 1/3 off and roll it back up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back