Parents Bun

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has thick very healthy hair we have a thing to help make a bun on here head but with her hair the way it is it doesn't want to stay any tips or tricks?

My dd has thick very healthy hair we have a thing to help make a bun on here head but with her hair the way it is it doesn't want to stay any tips or tricks?
Here's what we do: put the hair in a high ponytail using a thick ponytail holder; put a "donut" or bun maker on top of her head and pull the ponytail through; flip the hair over the donut and fan it out; use another ponytail holder to secure the hair in the bun by putting it around the base of the bun maker; divide the remaining hair in half and wrap each half around the bun but in opposite directions--you can also braid the extra hair and wrap it around the bun; start pinning with bobby pins--we use the "u shaped hair pins" to secure the bun in place; go over any loose hair or problem spots with some gel and then use barrettes in the back if needed; spray with hair spray to keep everything smooth and in place. And look forward to the day she can do it herself--I sure am! ;)

Here's what we do: put the hair in a high ponytail using a thick ponytail holder; put a "donut" or bun maker on top of her head and pull the ponytail through; flip the hair over the donut and fan it out; use another ponytail holder to secure the hair in the bun by putting it around the base of the bun maker; divide the remaining hair in half and wrap each half around the bun but in opposite directions--you can also braid the extra hair and wrap it around the bun; start pinning with bobby pins--we use the "u shaped hair pins" to secure the bun in place; go over any loose hair or problem spots with some gel and then use barrettes in the back if needed; spray with hair spray to keep everything smooth and in place. And look forward to the day she can do it herself--I sure am! ;)
Definitely looking forward to that day

My daughter is Asian and has super straight/smooth hair. Most bobby pins and even hair pins slide out. The absolute best are Amish hair pins (on Amazon). They are thicker and grippier.

For my daughter with very thick, long hair, I put it in a ponytail which I then split in half and braided each. Then wrapped them into a bun and used hairpins not bobby pins. I did not use a bun maker because it added too much extra bulk.
If her hair is wavy/curly and you're still having trouble, you could consider straightening it with a hair dryer after washing it or using a flat iron to possibly decrease some of the bulk.

For my daughter with very thick, long hair, I put it in a ponytail which I then split in half and braided each. Then wrapped them into a bun and used hairpins not bobby pins. I did not use a bun maker because it added too much extra bulk.
If her hair is wavy/curly and you're still having trouble, you could consider straightening it with a hair dryer after washing it or using a flat iron to possibly decrease some of the bulk.
Thank you I do like the idea of split in half and braided will definitely give this a try.

We do a pony tail with two braids. It works and stays in place quite well. For the wispy hair, gel, the strongest you can get. We use got2b glued in the yellow tube. IIt dries rock hard and no chance of that hair moving. My daughter has slept with her bun in and it was still okay the next day. The gel washes out quite easily.

Luckily my daughter ditched her long hair for a short bob that makes comps so much easier! But when she had hair past her waist, this is what worked for us:

With her hair slightly damp, and with a good amount of gel, I would brush it into a smooth base ponytail, wherever she wanted the bun (depending on the routine, it would be high top, back or side). make it tight! Then using a small donut, put it on the pony tail, divide the hair over it and secure it with another tight elastic around the base of the donut, on top of the other elastic. then I ensure the donut is evenly covered with that layer, and coat with spray. Next, I arrange the lenght of the hair so it is hanging straight down. Then I coat it with gel and mouse and do a tight fishtail braid and secure it. Then I use bobby pins to wrap and secure the braid around the bun base. Then top the whole thing of with another coat of spray and then a scrunchie for good measure. That thing wouldn't move!

Forget Bobbi pins. Corkscrew pins the best they twist in and out easy. We pony then braid wrap braid into bun add 2 pins then hairnet. 10 years and it’s never slipped. Pins come is mini and regular. we use the mini they are way long enough.

Amazon product ASIN B003FVDNO6

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter is in Acro, so I am not sure if the specs are different but here is what we do. For competition bun, we use a donut. They come in different sizes, for really thick or long hair, you might want to try a smaller one, because they add volume to the bun (?) Good amount of gel on damp hair then the hardest part for me is getting a nice high and tight pony tail centered correctly in the first place. After adding donut, we do slightly different version of what love gym mom described above. Found a video on youtube that made sense to me and that is how I learned, and now my husband can do it too! We have used just the regular "U shape" (NOT bobby) pins and that has worked well, but may try the types suggested here this season. For fixing "bumps" and for holding back wispies, snap clips that blend with the hair color and are slightly curved so they shape to the head. Hairspray.

If her hair is heavy, I recommend a half-up pony first to anchor the bun. Then, pull up the bottom half and combine to make one ponytail. Next, gel the heck out of the hair. Dry hair is loose hair. ;) After wrapping the bun, secure it with a ponytail and then a hairnet. The hairnet is magic! Finally, add the scrunchie. No bobbypins needed for us with this method, even with layers.

Mine is 16 she still wants me to do her bun. And that’s what we do with lots of gel and a scrunchie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back