BWO on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is a Level 5 gymnast and is starting to work on Level 6 skills. She is having trouble with her backwalk overs. She puts her thumbs together and starts her bend backward, but as she is bending, she pulls her hands apart and then her hand land wide of the beam. Does anyone have any suggestions for her.

Thank you

Having similar problem

I don't know if it is mental or what but I have a girl who wants to do the back walkover on beam - but similar thing - starts all good - leans back and then it looks like she is pulling out of it and therefore doesn't get her feet on the beam. I told her to keep her hands side by side but yeah I don't know. I have tried everything from keeping her square etc... she can do perfectly on low beam.

It takes her a long time to stick them, when she is on a role they are fine but it is so frustrating. She wants to compete it this weekend but I don't want her to!!!

It seems to me like she might be lacking a little bit of shoulder flexibility. Make sure she is stretching her shoulders very well every day before and after practice. This should help as she gets more flexible. Quick fixes for children could be visual diagrams. Have her put chalk on her hands so she can see what she is doing and where she's placing her hands. Also, video tape her from the side view and from an end view and let her watch herself. One other thing you could try is taping her thumbs together and practice on a floor line (so she doesn't risk injury) and can get the feeling of her hands staying together. Also, while she's in the walkover make sure she is extended through her shoulders so her hips are square and keeps her eyes on the end of the beam. This will help with sticking the back walkovers more often than not!

when i was learning back walkovers, i got a roll-up floor beam. when its on the ground, its only about one inch above the ground. It only cost about $20 on ebay.
Anyway, it helped me so much, because there is no pressure of falling off the beam, but at the same time you are learning how to do BWOs better in a line, and on a slightly raised surface. from that I moved up to higher beams, and I was much more confident.
If you don't want to buy that, then it would also help to do it on a line.
I hope this helps!

It seems to me like she might be lacking a little bit of shoulder flexibility. Make sure she is stretching her shoulders very well every day before and after practice. This should help as she gets more flexible. Quick fixes for children could be visual diagrams. Have her put chalk on her hands so she can see what she is doing and where she's placing her hands. Also, video tape her from the side view and from an end view and let her watch herself. One other thing you could try is taping her thumbs together and practice on a floor line (so she doesn't risk injury) and can get the feeling of her hands staying together. Also, while she's in the walkover make sure she is extended through her shoulders so her hips are square and keeps her eyes on the end of the beam. This will help with sticking the back walkovers more often than not!

Do you have any suggestions for tips on stretching her shoulders?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back