WAG BWO On Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmbgymnast

Gymnast
I'm trying to get my back walkover on beam, but I can't get my hands on the beam. I'm not scared of it, and my shoulders are really flexible, but when I'm about 2-3 inches away from the beam, my hands seperate. Even with a full spot, on a low beam with panel mats stacked to height, I just can't get them on the beam. I also cant get them down on a floor line or a beam extender. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any drills I can do?

my DD just did her BWO on high beam a few days ago, and no for no reason, cant lean back with out getting scared. A tip i told DD was to do them first with her hands one in front of the other then bring them together side by side every 3-5 BWOs she makes. You should try it! :)

Your hands are seperating? Common, but I think this is probably more fear than anything else. But what do I know? As a gymnast, I totally get the fear of going backwards on something so small. However, I would do drills and drills and more drills. Backwalkovers on floor, floor beam, low beam with mats, etc. Have a coach spot you and make sure to put your hands on the beam. How are you putting your hands? There are different ways, and if your coaches allow you, maybe try a new way. Let me know if you have questions on that. Also, BUILD UP CONFIDENCE. I cannot stress this enough. Gymnastics is a very physical sport, but mental as well. Make sure you are confident in the skill, and if you arent, take a step back. This will help prevent injury and make sure you are ready for skills. Remind yourself that you CAN DO IT, it will come with time. Get a spot, and keep trying! Feel free to ask more questions, you can PM me if you feel the need :)

I know this is a bit old and you have it by now, but I had the same problem. For the life of me I could not get my hands on when I did them on a low beam with panel mats stacked up. I wasn't scared, I just couldn't get it. However, the second I tried them on a low beam without the mats, my hands went right on. I think mentally with the mats I knew I had an easy way out so I automatically would go for the mats. When there was none and I was thinking of NOT missing so I wouldn't hit my head, my hands automatically grabbed the beam and I successfully did my first bwo.

That's just me though, everyone is different. You have to find what works for you! Hope you've gotten your hands on by now :)

The entire time I competed, I could never get my hands on the beam on a BWO or BHS if there were mats there. They made it every time once I was on a real beam. Try it without the mats, you'll be surprised how fast your hands come together when you start coming towards an actual beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back