Parents bwo on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
Hi, I hope you don't mind, I posted this in the UK forum, but it's pretty quiet in there, so I've put it in here as well, and I'm hoping the rules in other countries are the same as the UK.

Just a technical question. If you start the bwo on beam without lifting the leg first, does it still count as a bwo? ie if you basically do the bridge part mostly on two legs and then kick over (in one fluent motion) if that makes sense? Thanks!

Not sure if this totally answers your question, but my dd would point her toe, but leave it down, hovering (no weight on it), and then do BWO. She never raised it to horizontal. Never got dinged for it.

It does sort of answer it. I think that's what my dd is aiming for, but as she goes backwards her pointed toe foot goes somewhat flat and I'm not sure how much it matters! She says she doesn't put weight on it, but I'm not sure if the judge would be able to tell that, or if they'd care!

Not sure if this totally answers your question, but my dd would point her toe, but leave it down, hovering (no weight on it), and then do BWO. She never raised it to horizontal. Never got dinged for it.
She did if she was in level 5! Because it is part of the text and something that gets deducted. She may have been good enough with the rest of her beam that it wasn't that noticeable in her score. But at least a .05 deduction.

Curious how high the leg needs to be in order to avoid deductions.... My DD suffered from a nasty case of the BWO-on-high-beam fear all summer, and has (finally) mastered a consistent BWO on high beam. However, she refuses to start with her leg lifted more than an inch or so above the beam bc she is convinced she will start going off the side of the beam again. (And she might be right about that?!?) On low beam, her coach sometimes requires her start with her leg hovering above a big block/mat (approx. 90 degrees), but the coach has not pushed her on high beam. With a score-out meet in less than a week, I'm curious what to expect in terms of a deduction?? Is there a range? Thanks

ETA -- My question is related to the Level 5 compulsory routine; but I'd also be curious if there is a similar deduction in Level 6?

Reactions: sce
She did if she was in level 5! Because it is part of the text and something that gets deducted. She may have been good enough with the rest of her beam that it wasn't that noticeable in her score. But at least a .05 deduction.

She did her score out meet and that was it for 5 so perhaps I never noticed. But if the rule is as stated above, where it was lifted about an inch and showed continuous rise, that was her style so might have been fine. Who knows?

UK rules are very different to US JO, and you may find will differ from region to region here. Best thing is to check with her coach, they will know

Hth

Thanks everyone. I was also curious to know about how high it should be lifted, so that's helpful. I don't think the coach really likes parents interfering so I don't like to raise it with her, but hopefully if it needs sorting out, it'll be sorted out! Thanks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back