WAG BWO vs BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I'm currently a level 4. (Very late). For level 5 beam, I was wondering if you could learn a BHS without learning a BWO since I had a back injury and BWOs hurt a lot. FYI, I did train back walkovers about 9ish months ago. I wouldnt want to compete BWOs since they hurt my back a lot, so is it possible to learn a BHS on beam without learning BWO?

Hi! I'm currently a level 4. (Very late). For level 5 beam, I was wondering if you could learn a BHS without learning a BWO since I had a back injury and BWOs hurt a lot. FYI, I did train back walkovers about 9ish months ago. I wouldnt want to compete BWOs since they hurt my back a lot, so is it possible to learn a BHS on beam without learning BWO?
Yes. My daughter competed a back handspring in level 5 because of a back injury.

Absolutely, one is not a prerequisite for the other. If gymnasts have back issues it’s always better to avoid doing a large number of back walkovers, so skipping to the flic can be a very common strategy.

Oh for sure! I've seen plenty of gymnasts do a bhs in level 5. And no need to have the bwo, and since you have done it in the past, you should be fine to learn the back handspring

As everyone has said, it’s fine and the two skills don’t seem to be naturally linked. Some of the kids on my daughter’s team got a BWO very fast and struggle with the BHS. For others, it was the opposite.

It doesn’t seem like being good at one makes it easier to be good at the other.

I personally think that BWO or horrible for your back and should be avoided if you can. My kiddo only competed BWO for her Level 5 score out meet. Also now that she has had back issues I have told her and her coaches (who are supportive) that she is not allowed to do BWO or FWO on beam anymore. Honestly she really is only doing backwalkovers to warm up...like 1-2 if she must but generally I don't want her doing them at all. She did HS BHS Cartwheel RO and BHS Back Tuck as her various series for levels 6-8.

I personally think that BWO or horrible for your back and should be avoided if you can. My kiddo only competed BWO for her Level 5 score out meet. Also now that she has had back issues I have told her and her coaches (who are supportive) that she is not allowed to do BWO or FWO on beam anymore. Honestly she really is only doing backwalkovers to warm up...like 1-2 if she must but generally I don't want her doing them at all. She did HS BHS Cartwheel RO and BHS Back Tuck as her various series for levels 6-8.
Thats a great thing to do. Props to the coaches for supporting that too!
The series sound way better than BWO, thanks for replying!

My sister has managed to completely avoid the bw- she went straight from cartwheel, to bhs, then bhs-bhs. I was not as lucky. It really has no effect on the other and the bw does not lead into the bhs, so you should be completely fine without it, maybe your back will even be better off.

Yes you can. I'm in level 5 (8 yrs) and my coach said that I could train BHS bc my back was injured on tramp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back