Caileigh and Emily both see the ortho tomorrow - wish us luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Heading up to Philly tomorrow morning with both Caileigh and Emily to see the orthopedist. Caileigh is hoping to get off her crutches after 4 weeks, and have her cast replaced with a walking boot. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing - LOL - as she is driving the poor trainer at Wilson crazy already. Lord only knows what the child will want to do once the hard cast is off! Caileigh says it's horrible having to watch her team mates practice and only be able to sit and watch, but I keep reminding her that it takes time for bones to heal. Wilson's first meet is January 8, and Caileigh is hoping to at least be able to do bars - we shall see.
Emily is hoping to finally be cleared to vault - her coach won't let her even attempt a handspring vault until the doc gives his OK. Our first home meet is Dec 5 and at this point Em is ready to compete bars and beam, and is looking good on floor - no twisting yet though, so vault is the only event that remains a big question mark. Our physical therapist told us today that she is recommending 4 more weeks of therapy and then Em will be done with them. That is going to be strange as we've been there 2-3 times a week since April.
This has been a really long, painful road that Em has traveled since the end of February when she blew out her knee. I watched her tumbling at practice last night and could not help remembering April, right after surgery when she was in tears from the pain caused by trying to get her knee bent to 90 degrees! Em had just turned 16 when she got hurt, and I don't think any of us - coaches and parents - realized just how tough and determined this kid was. My daughter will probably never make Elite or be an Olympian, but as far as I'm concerned she has shown just what it really means to be a champion!

Good luck! I hope it goes well and both girls will be able to be cleared for what they want. Em-for vault and Caileigh to get her cast off. :)

Thanks for all the good wishes. Caileigh got her cast off and is in a fracture boot for the next 3-4 weeks. Right now she is still on crutches with only partial weight bearing on her right foot, but she was cleared to swing bars without the boot on :D provided she can keep from putting any weight on her right leg! She goes back in 2 months and hopefully will be cleared at that point for everything else. Whether she can compete this season is still a big ?????, but we shall just take things as they come.
Em was finally cleared for "whatever she is comfortable with" :thumbsup: Thanks for all the good wishes that have been sent to her over the past 7 months - it's been a tough haul, that is for sure, but Em stuck it out :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back