Parents Cait's last couple of meets recap (Level 7)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

iggy1988

We haven’t posted Caitlyn’s meet results in a while, so, if you’re interested, here’s a re-cap of the last two meets:

Arnold Sports Festival,

As the highest beam score (9.45) of her session, and the 2nd highest of all level 7s, Caitlyn made it to beam event finals. It was neat to see levels 7 through 10 competing at the same time at the finals; we saw some fantastic gymnastics! At the finals, Caitlyn randomly drew the 2nd to last spot, which is usually a great spot to be. She did a tremendous routine. It was as good, if not better, as the routine that she did at the original meet, and it was definitely one of the top 3 routines there. We were shocked when her score came up: 9.25, which was middle of the road compared to others. Now, please understand that we are not “that typeâ€￾ of parents who complain and are ultra-competitive, but we were shocked when her score appeared. It is safe to say that I was even angry for the first time at a meet (much to Sean’s amusement, I think:)), although I knew that it only mattered that Caitlyn had done such an awesome routine and that she felt good about it. When we saw the coaches’ reactions—both hers and those from other gyms--, we knew we were not off in our thoughts. Our coach was livid, as were the other gyms’ coaches. In fact, I’ve never seen Caitlyn’s coach like that. She had been watching for the score, which she really doesn’t usually do, thinking that it would be in the top 3. The score came up, other coaches’ jaws dropped, and they looked back at our coach, whose face went rigid. She walked over to the group of other coaches, and they conferred for awhile; obviously, all were upset. During awards, I thought our coach would beat her hand off, she was pounding it so furiously with a pencil! Again, she’s not like that normally. She spoke to the head judge then since one is not allowed to contest scores at event finals. What happened was that, at event finals, judges are not allowed to give the same score twice. Somehow, in an oversight, the judges had judged everyone close together, not leaving room for the last few girls at the top even though they had a list of their scores from the original meet and could see that Cait had the 2nd highest score of all originally. The judges apparently didn’t think that she was the 1st place winner at the finals, and they couldn’t put her at 2nd or 3rd. In fact, this spot was the highest one left over. Weird, eh? Oh, well . . . We learned ourselves that, surprise, surprise, gymnastics is not fair, but, more importantly, this reaffirmed to us that Caitlyn’s coach has her back, and that, when it comes down to it, it really only matters that Caitlyn feels good about how well she does. Event Finals is a cool thing, and it was still a great experience. It’d be neat if more meets had them!
States: Beam State Champ, and a great end to the season! See the video below if you wish; it will explain more. There’s also a neat part in the video of Cait during pre-event visualization.
Cait had a great time competing but was ready for level 7 to be over so she could train exclusively for TOPs and Level 8. It has been a great learning year.
Thanks,
Sean (who has been so quiet here lately :)) and Jen (who wrote this)
YouTube - sjccrr's Channel

So Awesome that Cait made event finals!!! That is SUCH a huge accomplishement! I was a bit shocked when Sean called to tell me what happened with the scoring :( I've never heard of that before since my dd was L6 this season, we've not run into event finals. Is that how ALL event finals are run? That is the weirdest thing I've heard of. Why not just allow the same score and have ties? If they are truely tied for 2nd place, I don't see what harm it is to have a 2nd place tie, then no place for 3rd and continue on with 4th. Am I crazy thinking that?

Oh well, I digress. Cait did wonderful and I know that you, she and her coaches are very proud of her performance AND how she handled the crazy scoring issue. Way to go Cait!!!

Iggy, Cait looks great!

Now, I'm not familiar with the event final. Is that a thing only in certain states? Or, is that for TOPS participants only?

Never heard of that rule before--that sounds nuts! Congrats to her on an awesome routine anyway!!

Some meets, though not many, take the 2 or 3 highest scoring optional gymnasts in each event per session and invite them back to the final meet evening for event finals. Those gymnasts who were invited back compete in their specific event(s) for which they qualified, and they compete against all others in their level who also qualified for that event. (So, Cait competed beam against all level 7s who also qualified for beam, no matter what their ages.) The judges' job is to find the best few gymmies in each event per level; thus, no ties are allowed.

This was a cool experience despite the disappointing outcome for Cait, which did mar it a bit. However, there were a lot of positives that make us all hope she qualifies again: she knows that she once again competed really well in a high pressure environment, she knows it's not all about the bling (even though she would've loved it ;) ), and she loved seeing how her coach and those from other gyms rallied behind her. She is stonger because of it all.

Ha! Sounds like more gyms should do the final thing then. I agree it's a fun and yet worthwhile thing to do. I don't think we have that in our state at all.

As for the screw up on the judges' part, what a bummer for Cait. I'm surprised they didn't think of leaving room because they typically do that at a normal meet anyway.

Congratulations sounds like she had a great season. I hope she's still really proud about making event finals even though the outcome was kind of goofy. I can't believe they didn't leave room for her, that just seems stupid. Oh well.

Gym Monkey Mom's recent post reminded me that I, too, forgot to mention in Cait's state video that her level 7 team placed 2nd at states, just a fraction beneath a super power gym and ahead of another super power gym! Woo-hoo! :)

Congrats to her, sorry the event final was abit messed up. Will she go to level 8 now. That would be exciting!

Congrats to the State Beam Champ!

Event finals are strange! Beetle qualified for vault in one meet this year. And they didnt have the same rule as yours but they did order the girls in the same order as they placed. So, the girl with the highest qualifying score went last. And you could see the scores climb though the meet. Beetle came in 5th. and placed 5th.. Strange how that works :)

Anyway, Cait looks amazing. Have fun training L8!

Loved the visualization part in the video. She did so wonderfully this season. Now onto level 8 and TOPS training!!! Congrats to Cait!

And the event finals, really cool that she qualified, not so cool about the scoring system.

Loved the visualization part in the video.

That is my favorite part! I had to find a way to fit it in even though it's not from states. Don't you love the intensity of her focus?

Will she go to level 8 now. That would be exciting!

Although it's not official for a week or 2, yes, she is level 8. She's pumped! :)

Very nice video and meet recap. Yes, it was a bummer about the way event finals at the Arnold played-out, but I think the most important thing is that she made it to event finals in the first place! :) I, too, think that more meets should have Event Finals. I congratulate Caitlyn (and Mom & Dad) for a wonderful, truly spectacular, L7 season! I look forward to following her next season and all of the excitement this summer! Everyone, I have the privledge/pleasure of being at the same gym, and can say that Cait is one of the hardest workers and most determined gymnasts in our gym, so her success is well-deserved! Keep up the good work, Cait, and L8 will rock as well!! :)

Don't know how I missed this update when you 1st posted. Love the vid! Seeing her focus during her visualization & seeing the coach interact with her as she waited for bars. I can see she is at a great gym with GREAT coaches. They diffinitely have her back & that's such a good feeling for you as parents & for Cait as the gymnast!!! Cait had a wonderful L7 season!!! State beam champ woo-hoo!!!:D It has been so exciting following her progress. Thanks for sharing her journey with us! Keep up the great work Cait. Is it official yet? I can't wait to say... "Cait, Cait, she's a level 8!":D.

I was so happy to hear that Cait did so well during her last couple of meets. Not that we even for a second doubted her abilities.... She is totally awesome, super talented and an inspiration to many of the younger gymmies on the board (or with parents on the board).

I look forward to future updates on her progress and eagerly await the arrival of those fairies of Cait's we keep talking about coming to visit Lil. She could really use the vaulting (ie. get over the vault table) fairies as that has always been her weakest event.:eek:

Congrats to the State Beam Champ title!!!

Hello,

I'm new here, but I've been reading the posts for awhile. I saw your post and had to join. My daughter was in the beam finals at the Arnold too. She was the last gymnast to go. I remember your daughter's routine was beautiful. My daughter's qualifying score was a 9.40 (won her session), but at event finals, they omitted her name by accident, so she went last. She had some mistakes in her routine and did not stick her landing...score was 9.20, which was deserved in her case.

After reading your post, I'm kind of glad she made the mistakes, because if she'd have done an outstanding routine and scored 9.20, I would be upset too!

Anyways...thanks for posting the explanation of how the scoring at event finals worked...we were clueless!

Also, congrats to your daughter on being State Beam Champ!!!

Everyone, I have the privledge/pleasure of being at the same gym, and can say that Cait is one of the hardest workers and most determined gymnasts in our gym, so her success is well-deserved! :)
!

As is YOUR gymmie! I love how they support each other. :)

I saw your post and had to join. My daughter was in the beam finals at the Arnold too. She was the last gymnast to go. I remember your daughter's routine was beautiful.

How cool that you and your daughter were there, too! :)

Thanks for the compliment . . .

Yes, it's a small world! I believe we were also at National Judges Cup in the same session too.

My DD also qualified for bars finals there too, so we were double proud! So many outstanding gymnasts were there...I was trying to watch everything at once!

Even though she didn't win any awards, it was very cool just to qualify. My DD will also be moving to Level 8 next season (11 years old). I can't wait to see how they do!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back