Parents Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is our first year at Lake owen--another gymnast family won a free week last year for one of their girls and they said she loved it. Her other dd (same level as my middle DD) won the free week this year! Sheesh--wish I could be that lucky LOL!

Ambie is going to IGC on July 5th. It is her birthday present from everyone.

My daughter is driving me crazy wanting to go to IGC. It's just that it is so much money with her summer training at her gym. I told her if she saves up all her money that next year we will think about it. I would like to here how some of girls make out there, daughter just turned 9 next year she will be 10, most of the girls at her gym that go are older. It is sort of scary trusting her with new coaches and to be away from home for a week. I heard that if you get 10 kids from your gym to go in the same week you can send a coach I would love that but our gym does not have that many kids going. I think most of them right now are struggling with paying for the summer tutition both the hours and money always increases in the summer. Anyway she will start her summer gym training next week I can not wait she has been out of school for a week and is really bored and has had regular gym hours only.

After taking a break last summer and saying she wasn't going this summer, Kelsey has changed her mind yesterday and wants to go back to IGC. Her teammates are going July 26th & Aug 2nd weeks - so now I'm scrambling to see if she can bunk with any of them! The problem may be her age though, the other girls are all 13 already and one girl is turning 15 while she is at camp. Kelsey is only 12. UGH. Little Monkey wanted to go, then she changed her mind, and now she's undecided. I am not ready for her to go yet, although I did see that they dropped the age to 7 (she turns 9 on 7/25) .

Mine are going alone basically as they are over two years apart in age. I figure they will make new friends their own age.

Both my kids have done sleep awsy camp since they were seven, and have done sleepovers since they were 5. They have both done fine and love camp so much. IGC has been a goal for them for many years, I told them they had to wait for younger DD to be 10 as it is such a big trip for us all.

I will def report back on the camp, if I can take other photos I'll do that too. There is a thread on here about IGC and is full of info that we started sometime last fall.

DD is doing two weeks of camp at our gym. We just added the second week. She isn't old enough to go away just yet but we do competive camps at our gym and she has been doing them for a couple of years. So we will do it again this year to help her. I am very encouraged to hear that some of the camps have a 7 year old age so that DD can potentially go away to other camps next year. I would LOVE to hear opinions on the best ones to attend.

I will def report back on the camp, if I can take other photos I'll do that too. There is a thread on here about IGC and is full of info that we started sometime last fall.

The 2 years that Kelsey went, she really loved it. The first year was only her and one other girl. The 2nd year she went with 3 teammates. The grounds are beautiful and the food was not bad (that, from my picky eater). They get to do alot of fun things during in the evening, or if they want, they can go back to open gym. Kelsey only did the fun activities LOL. Last year she was in kind of a "funk" about gymnastics and earlier this year as well. I'm glad she changed her mind though.

I heard back from the IGC office today, and they said they will "try" to get her in with at least one of her teammates but no guarantees, and definitely did not think being with all 5 would be possible. She said she won't go if she's alone...because I think between the social crap that has been going on with her school friends, it would really hurt her for the other 5 girls to be together in one cabin and for her to be separated from them..... I am going to call them tomorrow to see if talking to someone in person will make a difference in what they can do for us.

well last week went great youngest dd almost has her ariel down and did a back tuck on the realy cushy mat oldest dd almost has her back handspring as well!

they re talking about doing overnight next year!

Hi, my daughter Emily who will be 9 soon will be attending IGC starting July 26 for 3 weeks to mid August.We were signed up for 2 weeks but IGC just offered us a 3rd week at half price.She is comming out from CO ( I am dropping her off), noone else she knows will be there.I am sure she would love to email some girls that are going then.
I am nervous because she is young,but I know she will love it.I also do not like that I can't see her cabin and no phone calls but they said I can call to talk to the counselor anytime.She is very social and loves gymnastics..Our smal town in Co is a little boring in the summer.

I would love to here from everybody about IGC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad the girls had fun! I wish DDs gym had a gym camp of sorts. She will hopefully get to go to the college run camp next summer. Lots of girls went from her gym this year, so it will be fun to go when lots of your teammates are there. :) Not sure if she will be ready for sleepover camp by then, not sure if we will be either.

Hi, my daughter Emily who will be 9 soon will be attending IGC starting July 26 for 3 weeks to mid August.We were signed up for 2 weeks but IGC just offered us a 3rd week at half price.She is comming out from CO ( I am dropping her off), noone else she knows will be there.I am sure she would love to email some girls that are going then.
I am nervous because she is young,but I know she will love it.I also do not like that I can't see her cabin and no phone calls but they said I can call to talk to the counselor anytime.She is very social and loves gymnastics..Our smal town in Co is a little boring in the summer.

This will be DD's 4th year. She started when she was 8, and this year she is going without teammates. A couple are going week 9, but she wanted to go week 2. Some old teammates from other gym may be there, but she doesn't care.

You can walk around when you drop her off and see her cabin. Parents just have to leave by 2:00 when testing begins, so get there close to noon if possible. But you can walk around and see all the gyms and the grounds before 2:00. If she get really homesick, tell her to go to the nurse and to try to call you from there. DD called last year because a bracket fell off her braces. She said you are allowed to call from the nurses. You can also try to call, but sometimes they don't hear the page. I called her back because I had missed her call, and she just said she was fine and chatted for a moment or so. One year her teammate got calls everyother day! They are really good with the pictures they take. They post them online (password protected) the next day. Cabin pictures are on Wednesday, so on Thursday I always knew at least she looked fine! I usually mail a letter or small package to her by Monday morning. You can mail before, but you won't know her cabin number.

Three weeks is a long time. I'd see about calling on Saturdays, if there is a good time. Girls leave between 8:30 and 10:30 am, so she may be feeling a little lonely then until the next group shows up Sunday. Sundays they always do a cabin event, so they girls bond quickly.

This will be my dd 2nd year at IGC... She loved it last year. She is going week 9. Will your dd be there then? They have a lot of fun. I did call my dd last year and they paged her and she came to the phone. I felt so much better once I heard she liked it. If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

My DD is at camp this week too. She is at a college (Southeast Missouri State University) and I talked to her last night. A little drama with her roomates. She was put in a dorm with 2 girls who were best friends and Alex knew noone. Usually they only have 2 girls to a room but they ended up with an odd # of girls. She was not given a key so at times she could not get in the room because her roomates were together with both keys. Anyway I talked to one of the staff and they were going to try to move her to a room where she had made a friend. This other girl is rooming with her big sister so she did not have any friend her age either. It also turns out that she lives in the town right next to us and goes to a gym that we have been considering switching Alex too. Funny how these things happen. She is having a great time otherwise and says she is VERY close to getting her kip!! She comes home tomorrow. I think next year I will make sure she goes with another gymmie friend. I really now think that makes a huge difference.

Well, DD finished school on Thursday (it always goes to late June up here) and this morning I got up at 3:45 :eek: to take her to the airport where she flew with 17 other gymmies and a couple of coaches to Montreal for Gymrep (other gymmies from our club & additional coaches were driving up). Though she has done other camps she has never been to a dedicated gym camp before and was really pumped - didn't hurt that there were 8 (I think) others from her training group on that plane. I don't expect any contact from her over the week and look forward to hearing all about it upon her return... meanwhile a peaceful week for me;)

Enjoy the peace, she will come back after having a fab time and she will sleep a lot! Gymrep is so much fun for the girls. We're off to IGC on Saturday 4th (looong drive) and they will be at Gymrep week 5. Training statrts at their own gym tomorrow after almost a months break, I can already hear those muscles complaining!

Enjoy the peace, she will come back after having a fab time and she will sleep a lot! Gymrep is so much fun for the girls. We're off to IGC on Saturday 4th (looong drive) and they will be at Gymrep week 5. Training statrts at their own gym tomorrow after almost a months break, I can already hear those muscles complaining!

How long is your drive? we are only 1 hr 15 min from IGC.

Hi, my daughter Emily who will be 9 soon will be attending IGC starting July 26 for 3 weeks to mid August.We were signed up for 2 weeks but IGC just offered us a 3rd week at half price. .

That is a great deal for the 3rd week - they must be hurting because in previous years the weeks were sold out way before even Wk 1. Now I see all wks are available except for the 2 with the "stars". We are revisting the issue of Kelsey going July 26th wk. 5 of her teammates are already registered and she may be going with 2 other girls that wk. Little Monkey will turn 9 on July 25th but I'm not ready to let her go, lol.

How long is your drive? we are only 1 hr 15 min from IGC.

Based on google maps it is a 9 hour drive, which does not include stops for gas, food or the dreaded Canadian border. We will drive to Syracuse on the Saturday and hopefully find some July the 4th entertainment there. Then if we leave at 9 am we should be able to be at IGC and have lunch by 12:30pm. It is a huge drive, but the girls have wanted this for many years and hubby and I will stay down there.

I will also stop in Reading to buy some leos for the girls as they are hard to find up here.

They are excited to go to the US, to do gym in English (not French) and to meet some new friends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back