Parents Can a young-for-grade gymnast take an extra year before college?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
My DD started K a year early (her b'day is close to the cut-off and she was admitted b/c she was academically and socially ready). This will mean that she's a year younger at her high school graduation than some kids -even more than a year than others as red-shirting is so popular. It occurred to me that it will be harder for her to be a multi-year level 10 at graduation if she graduates younger than many. Is there any way she can take a gap year or any sort of extra year if it means the difference btwn being a college gymnast and not? I don't have a goal for her to be a college gymnast and I realize there's a lot that can happen between now and then -but I'm wondering how this works with birthdays and class years and sports.

Not sure about girls, but we have had several boys do that. I woudl think it would depend on her birthday. We have had boys do that who are not 19 until after the cut off, so they can compete JO as an 18 year old.

Not sure about girls, but we have had several boys do that. I woudl think it would depend on her birthday. We have had boys do that who are not 19 until after the cut off, so they can compete JO as an 18 year old.

Oh interesting. What is the cut-off for JO? What did the boys do during that year? Train and take a few college classes locally?

If your kid has NCAA Div I aspirations, read the rules carefully. Once you start the 9th grade, you have 4 years to complete the core coursework. This is the basic rule--i'm not sure how they deal with JC transfers and kids who defer admission a year--someone may have a better answer.

He graduated high school at 17. Turned 18 during the summer I believe. The cutoff for boys is Sept. 1. He competed level 10 that year, and took classes at the local community college to get his grades up and is now doing ncaa gymnastics.

He graduated high school at 17. Turned 18 during the summer I believe. The cutoff for boys is Sept. 1. He competed level 10 that year, and took classes at the local community college to get his grades up and is now doing ncaa gymnastics.

Even for a boy who graduates at 18, as long as he hasn't turned 19 by the following Sept. 1st, he can compete again as an 18yo. I would think that most high school seniors fall into the 17yo category. A couple of gymnasts from our gym competed JO for a year after high school while taking classes at the local community college, and both went to JO Nationals that year. I honestly don't know how that affects NCAA eligibility, but one of those gymnasts went on to compete NCAA, and the other decided not to pursue college gymnastics.

When I was in school, the district I FINALLY ended up in (I attended 10 schools by the age of 10) would not let students graduate early. They were such sticklers that a boy I was in 4th-7th grade with had to pick a grade to repeat. He chose 7th grade. That way, he graduated just short of 18 instead of just short of 17.

With all of the school options these days, maybe your daughter could do an extra year in Junior high (while taking DIFFERENT classes and earning some high school credit), but still not being in "High School." Then, she would graduate "on time" and would have that extra year.

Either that, or take a year off after to focus on training and competing without academic stress.

My dd graduated HS at the age of 17 and didn't turn 18 until she was already a Freshman in college. While I get the gap year and red-shirting, as OP called it for sports like football, basketball, wrestling, etc. These sports want bigger and stronger so that these young kids coming in are able to compete with "the men" when they are just boys. But I don't get this for women's gymnastics. Women's gymnastics wants younger, flexible, less wear and tear on their bodies. I would not even think of a gap year with gymnastics in mind.

A gap year to me in the world of gymnastics is just another year of possible injury...

With all of the school options these days, maybe your daughter could do an extra year in Junior high (while taking DIFFERENT classes and earning some high school credit), but still not being in "High School." Then, she would graduate "on time" and would have that extra year.

I must respectfully disagree. It can be very hard to get a child accelerated in the first place, even when the need is obvious. Those who are lucky enough to get accelerated really need to be with older children, often for social reasons as well as academic ones. If the child is doing well academically and socially in her current grade placement, it could be disastrous to hold her back just so her chronological age matches that of the other students--especially in middle school.

I must respectfully disagree. It can be very hard to get a child accelerated in the first place, even when the need is obvious. Those who are lucky enough to get accelerated really need to be with older children, often for social reasons as well as academic ones. If the child is doing well academically and socially in her current grade placement, it could be disastrous to hold her back just so her chronological age matches that of the other students--especially in middle school.
I didn't say this would be the best idea. I am aware of the implications (I was someone who took the SAT in 7th and 8th grade - THAT was our school's idea of a "gifted program... and I scored well enough to get into the college of my choice).
I am aware of how difficult it can be to get a child accelerated (but when it is JUST starting school a year early, it is actually easier than being allowed to "skip" a grade later.). I should have started early, but my parents weren't ready to let me do that. I had teachers BEG my dad to let me skip a grade in 2nd and 3rd grade, but he still wasn't ready. By the time he WAS ready, we were at the district that didn't allow skipping grades, so I was stuck. I graduated high school in 4 years, but with more than enough credits to graduate after Junior year (missing 1 required class that they didn't ALLOW you to take until senior year).

My dd graduated HS at the age of 17 and didn't turn 18 until she was already a Freshman in college. While I get the gap year and red-shirting, as OP called it for sports like football, basketball, wrestling, etc. These sports want bigger and stronger so that these young kids coming in are able to compete with "the men" when they are just boys. But I don't get this for women's gymnastics. Women's gymnastics wants younger, flexible, less wear and tear on their bodies. I would not even think of a gap year with gymnastics in mind.

A gap year to me in the world of gymnastics is just another year of possible injury...

In general, this makes sense but it sounds like the OP is concerned that the dd won't be ready for L10 in the time frame she would need to be for recruiting purposes.

OP, what grade is your dd now and what level in gymnastics?

Dh and I have discussed this in regards to other sports and he says that an athlete can go to Jr college a year and then compete 4 years. Just don't know how that would figure into recruiting.

As for the us course work in 4 years, that is just the core courses required for ncaa, not all your high school courses.

In general, this makes sense but it sounds like the OP is concerned that the dd won't be ready for L10 in the time frame she would need to be for recruiting purposes.

OP, what grade is your dd now and what level in gymnastics?

Dh and I have discussed this in regards to other sports and he says that an athlete can go to Jr college a year and then compete 4 years. Just don't know how that would figure into recruiting.

As for the us course work in 4 years, that is just the core courses required for ncaa, not all your high school courses.

Yes, that is it -that she might not be level 10 in the right time frame but an extra year could make that possible. I am really not thinking that far ahead -and my daughter is no phenom so I don't know if it's even realistic to think that she could be eligible for college gym with or without the extra year. But in the case that she might be I was curious to know if the extra year was a possibility. In answer to your question she is in 2nd grade and on pre team and the plan right now is for her to compete level 3 Spring of 3rd grade -so like I said she's no phenom and I have no idea how far she will go with the sport. But I figure a 2nd grader in level 3 probably has a better shot at college gym than a 3rd grader in level 3 -and she really should be a 2nd grader next year according to her age :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back