Parents Can dd go back to gymnastics or is it too late.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Former L10 gym mom

Proud Parent
I have a ridiculous mom question. I know 100% it won't happen. But, still want to ask. Feeney at Brockport still contacts my daughter rather frequently. I'm very surprised, since she told him she was retired. I thought he'd just fade away. Now, this won't happen, but I am wondering... My daughter is a graduating senior. She horribly dislocated her ankle before her final season kicked off. So, she didn't get the final closure of competing her senior year (and neither did we). She hasn't done gymnastics all this year and won't be doing it her freshman year. If, by some miracle, she suddenly wants to go back, could she realistically get back to the 9/10 level again? She's done it before with long injury recovery, but she always still heavily conditioned. Just momma's pipe dream. And, yes, I saw a thread titled parents who are too involved (or something like that) and laughed because I belong in that thread.

I think that would be entirely up to your daughter......

I don't think you understand my question. Clearly, I'd love for her to. I am not trying to deny that. And I totally understand it's up to her, whether it's what I wish or not. So, of course the decision would be hers.

My question is physically, can a former 9/10 be completely out 2 years and have any chance of getting back into that level, or is it just too long away from the sport.

I'm asking a purely physical question. She's not going to do it. I just was curious if it would even be realistically possible to get back to that level.

I don't think you understand my question. Clearly, I'd love for her to. I am not trying to deny that. And I totally understand it's up to her, whether it's what I wish or not. So, of course the decision would be hers.

My question is physically, can a former 9/10 be completely out 2 years and have any chance of getting back into that level, or is it just too long away from the sport.

I'm asking a purely physical question. She's not going to do it. I just was curious if it would even be realistically possible to get back to that level.
No I understood.

Yes if she is willing to put in the work.

It's absolutely possible. Look up some training videos of Kristal Uzelac (now Bodenschatz.) She won junior nationals multiple times in the late 90s/early 2000s and is now working her way back to elite at 32. Whether or not your daughter can do it depends entirely on whether she wants to and if her body is up for it. And if she does ever want to go back to gymnastics it doesn't have to happen right away and it doesn't have to be at a level 9/10 standard.

Agreed, Krystal has amazing skills after having 2 or 3 kids. Also, look at Chellsie Memmel’s instagram. She is still doing high level skills and she was an Olympian 10 years ago.

I personally know a kid who had a very serious injury in the fall of her senior year. Was out all season and quit gym. At the end of that year she decided she wasn’t ready to give up. She went back to training, I think in like June, took a gap year to train and compete and is heading to a D1 gymnastics program in the fall. Anything is possible.

I think it is a very individual thing. How has she responded to injuries/layoffs in the past? Is she one who gets her skills back quickly, or does she take longer? One possibility might be for her to go to a place like Brockport that has both club and NCAA and compete club for a year while she regains skills in a team environment, and then look to walk on.

It's not just the physical component she would have to contend with. It's the mental component as well. I'd say it's definitely possible, but not unless she was 100% committed.

How many years was your daughter in L10? Muscle memory can kick in if she’s been doing it awhile. Many of the top elite gymnasts have taken a year sabbatical and was able to pick up where they left off.

My daughter has been injured more times than I can remember. A couple injuries have taken her out of the gym for almost 6 months but most are around 4 months. Once cleared she has been able to get the skills back rather quickly. Of course, she is coming from behind so getting upgrades to stay on track with everyone else can be a challenge.

One other thing to take into account is your daughter’s badly dislocated ankle. If it has not healed properly, not stable or could potentially cause some pain, then no amount of determination, good coaching, hardwork is going to help her if she is still in pain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back