WAG Can someone tell me what a "hollow pullover" is?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
My daughter is L4.
She said yesterday they are working on something on the bars that she can't do yet, I believe she called it a hollow pullover (maybe a hollow pullup?).
I asked her what it was , but since she was frustrated, I never got the answer. I did find out it's strength related so she plans to do some leg lifts and pullups on her chin up bar each day to help her core strength. But even that, since I don't know what this is, I'm not sure what would really help with what strength she needs to gain. (she doesn't like asking her coaches too much about things like this, because she feels it's really pointing out that she can't do it. I've tried to tell her that's what they are there for, but to no avail).

I hope that makes sense.

It might be the kind of pullover where your body stays in a hollow and does not pike to get around the bar. My DD tells me that the coach told them it looks more impressive to the judges (she just finished L3, so there was a pullover in the routine), so if they are strong enough to keep their bodies from piking to get around the bar, then that's the way they should perform it.

Not sure why an L4 would need it, but maybe it is just a 'basic' or maybe it leads to some other skill. No idea there...

Thank you both :)
I'm just the mom too! LOL!

I believe it's partially a conditioning move maybe? Maybe it's a drill that will help with the clear hip circle for level 5? If I find out - I'll let you know! :)

Keep in mind, I got the phrase from a very frustrated emotional "I suck" little girl.

I've just sent a long-winded message to one of my favorite coaches to try to figure it out

Just got an amazingly quick response. Should have just started with the coach, (but I try not to sound too stupid with my coaches... i save the ignorance for here - LOL).

Apparently the HC calls these "chin-up, hollow-ups".
They do a chin up, keeping as hollow as possible. Slowly release their arms as they bring their thighs to the bar in a hollow shape.

All CORE work. Which is why my DD is having a hard time.

It's the Level 4 thing that's confusing... I mean a pullover can be done in a hollow position, but it's not something I've seen Level 4's working on.

I'm sure it's just conditioning. All my compulsories do this exercise. You need to use a spot or band if they can't maintain the extended hollow. Not all the kids can do it by themselves. Also, if they cannot do pullover, forward roll to chin, pullover, etc 5 times in a row without hanging their chin in the bar, they should master this first.

The verbal cue is "use your arms to move". They don't use their body (much) to move. Usually they try to lift their legs before moving their arms. When their arms are bent, their legs are hanging straight down, then to turn over they lean back and straight their arms until their directly upside down. To come back, they bend their arms to arrive in the chin hold again.

But this is very hard without an aggressive conditioning regimen, however it is a great exercise to master and one that will help the 4s a lot in learning how to use their arms and lever their body rather than picking for skills like underswings, etc.

It's the Level 4 thing that's confusing... I mean a pullover can be done in a hollow position, but it's not something I've seen Level 4's working on.

DD had the word wrong. Not a pullover (I'm not surprised). Gymdog is right, it's conditioning.

I'm sure it's just conditioning. All my compulsories do this exercise. You need to use a spot or band if they can't maintain the extended hollow. Not all the kids can do it by themselves. Also, if they cannot do pullover, forward roll to chin, pullover, etc 5 times in a row without hanging their chin in the bar, they should master this first.

The verbal cue is "use your arms to move". They don't use their body (much) to move. Usually they try to lift their legs before moving their arms. When their arms are bent, their legs are hanging straight down, then to turn over they lean back and straight their arms until their directly upside down. To come back, they bend their arms to arrive in the chin hold again.

But this is very hard without an aggressive conditioning regimen, however it is a great exercise to master and one that will help the 4s a lot in learning how to use their arms and lever their body rather than picking for skills like underswings, etc.

I found this on youtube. I took a screenshot of what I'm imagining the end result of the "chin up" is (by the way my coach described it - release arms slowly and bring thighs to bar).
IMG_0504.JPG

it's a pullover with a hollow body shape.
It turns out DD had the phrase completely wrong. The coach calls it "chin up, hollow up", and apparently starts with a chin up and ends like the picture above. Actually held in that position, they don't go all the way over. They do it slowly, so a lot of core strength.

Sorry for confusing everyone more than I was confused! LOL!

ok. it's called a chin up>pull over or up and over and is in the elite conditioning. :)

oh, ok, I think that's the same move that is in my DD's conditioning circuit. She says they call them 'levers' but described the same move (I think). The idea is to do them slow and controlled, up and down, from a controlled pullup (chin over bar) to that candle position (your pic). I also see coaches spot or kids spot each other on these if they can't do them alone yet.

Thank you all - i definitely learned my "something new" today!!
Now to get her little core stronger...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back