MAG Can we talk JE?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

DTAG

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I'm trying to understand the JE process. I've got the handbook, but it is still not completely clicking. So to be on the Elite track, let's say starting at level 8 specifically, how exactly does one get qualified to compete JE? Is that something that needs to be determined prior to the season? And are you able to do the tech sequences based on your scores at State? I.e., if you have a certain score, then you go on to tech sequences? But then if you get below a certain score, you can't do tech sequences? Could someone please enlighten me?

JE is a choice, and it can be made at any time. What it means is, at state, the gymnast would compete 1 day of optional routines, and 1 day of tech sequences. Then they can compete JE at regionals and attempt to qualify to nationals.

At regionals, again, 1 day of optional routines, and 1 day of tech. If the score is high enough, the gymnast qualifies to nationals as a JE. Scores are set each year before regionals.

if not, and the gymnast is in the allotment, then the gymnast can still go as a JN.

JE is a choice, and it can be made at any time. What it means is, at state, the gymnast would compete 1 day of optional routines, and 1 day of tech sequences. Then they can compete JE at regionals and attempt to qualify to nationals.

At regionals, again, 1 day of optional routines, and 1 day of tech. If the score is high enough, the gymnast qualifies to nationals as a JE. Scores are set each year before regionals.

if not, and the gymnast is in the allotment, then the gymnast can still go as a JN.
Thank you. My son is excelling at his new gym (finally) and his coach plans on bumping him up to level 8 next year, possibly even JE. He is the "new" level 5, so he is currently competing old level 6.

Please help me understand this part now. Both Future Stars and JE/tech sequences are both on the elite track. JE begins at level 8, at age 12. Future Stars can also be age 12. If the intention is for my son to go on the elite track, he is competition age 11 this year, so competition age 12 next year. Would he then do Future Stars in the fall and then tech sequences during state/regionals? Or I suppose not competing FS but competing tech sequences later on would also be an option?

Just trying to understand his path. His coach said it will depend on my son whether or not he is placed in JE or not. It would depend on how much he works and his maturity. My son then started working the flexibility routine of FS at home, as he wants to put in the work. I'm just not sure how to best guide him I guess. This is technically only his 3rd of gymnastics so my head is on a swivel right now.

I would say to just keep doing what you are doing and let things fall as they may. IF he is motivated to work, then let him.

As for the FS/tech, he does not need to do both unless they decide tha tis the path for him. And, sometimes kids, train them and don't do them.

Our gym had pretty much everyone train the tech/FS routines, but not everyone competed them. My son was given the choice and choose to stay JN.

Sounds like he is really doing great! That is fantastic!

I would say to just keep doing what you are doing and let things fall as they may. IF he is motivated to work, then let him.

As for the FS/tech, he does not need to do both unless they decide tha tis the path for him. And, sometimes kids, train them and don't do them.

Our gym had pretty much everyone train the tech/FS routines, but not everyone competed them. My son was given the choice and choose to stay JN.

This sport really is a roller coaster, and you don't really realize it until you are on the ride, so to speak. He has went through fears, mental blocks, migraines, low scores but high skills, but thank God no major injuries. I'm glad he is finally reaching his potential but is also being challenged. His coach even mapped out the rest of his club gymnastics career basically. Year by year. My jaw dropped. Usually you don't even find out the next year until after Regionals. Definitely found a good home for him.

I'll echo skschlag and also say that FS has been a wonderful program for my son, who is second year Level 8 JE (13 years old) this season. He's competed in FS since he was 9 and qualified for FS Nationals, Junior Development Team, and FS Developmental Camp at age 10 and then again at age 12 (this past November) (he had only virtual FS for his 11 year old year because of COVID). He qualified to compete as JE at Nationals last season, but broke his foot right after regionals, so was unable to attend Nationals.

Even if your son does not end up competing FS or qualifying JE, the training and focus of FS and the tech sequences are both extremely helpful for gymnast development. It sounds like you are in very good hands with your coach!

If you have any specific questions about FS or JE, I'd be happy to help if I can.

-Courtney

I'll echo skschlag and also say that FS has been a wonderful program for my son, who is second year Level 8 JE (13 years old) this season. He's competed in FS since he was 9 and qualified for FS Nationals, Junior Development Team, and FS Developmental Camp at age 10 and then again at age 12 (this past November) (he had only virtual FS for his 11 year old year because of COVID). He qualified to compete as JE at Nationals last season, but broke his foot right after regionals, so was unable to attend Nationals.

Even if your son does not end up competing FS or qualifying JE, the training and focus of FS and the tech sequences are both extremely helpful for gymnast development. It sounds like you are in very good hands with your coach!

If you have any specific questions about FS or JE, I'd be happy to help if I can.

-Courtney

I'm so sorry to hear your son broke his foot! I hope he is doing well now. You do have quite a bit of experience definitely. How did he qualify to compete at Nationals? My region usually goes by an allotment system to qualify for regionals, would it be the same then for nationals probably? And when does that info usually come out? After registration is completed for regionals?

I am excited for him to train it, as it will hopefully help him clean up his form a bit. It seems it will depend on how hard he works in the gym for now and the rest of the season I presume which will dictate if he starts that training. His coach said if not this upcoming season, then next for sure. I guess we shall see. Thank you!

I'm so sorry to hear your son broke his foot! I hope he is doing well now. You do have quite a bit of experience definitely. How did he qualify to compete at Nationals? My region usually goes by an allotment system to qualify for regionals, would it be the same then for nationals probably? And when does that info usually come out? After registration is completed for regionals?

I am excited for him to train it, as it will hopefully help him clean up his form a bit. It seems it will depend on how hard he works in the gym for now and the rest of the season I presume which will dictate if he starts that training. His coach said if not this upcoming season, then next for sure. I guess we shall see. Thank you!
To qualify to compete JE at Nationals (assuming you did not mean FS Nationals), they have to receive a minimum score for their optionals+tech sequences at the regional championships. Last season it was either 124 or 125 for L8 (sorry, I can't remember exactly), but it can change each year. I'm not sure when they will announce it, but probably closer to March..? Qualification for the Eastern/Western Championships (JN rather than JE for L8 and L9) is by allotment, I believe. At regionals, if they do not make the score for JE Nationals, they can still qualify to Eastern/Western Championships if they make the allotment.

The focus of the tech sequences is basics, good technique, and athlete development, so it is definitely beneficial training, whether or not he ends up going FS/JE!

Good luck to him!!

If a Level 8 makes the score for JE Nationals at Regionals, does he still go to the Eastern/Western Championship?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back