WAG Can you please help me with my ROBHS - video included

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know I need to get my legs straight in the second part of the handspring but do you have any other tips, critiques etc to help me perfect it - are my hands hitting at the right angle? and if not what would I do to hit the proper angle

Is the round off wonky?

Thanks so much in advance

Here is more video where I pretty much do the same thing

The bent knees aren't the problem; they're a symptom.

The problem is that you're rushing the second half of the backhandspring, and pulling the feet over too early. In a BHS, the hips and chest should pass over the hands before the feet do; when you try to pull the feet too early, it makes the BHS inefficient; often your brain will sense this and automatically compensate for that inefficiency with bent knees.

The main drill I would do is standing BHS to flat belly. Find a mat soft enough that you can safely fall flat on your belly from a handstand; then do a BHS onto that mat, and just don't bother pulling the feet over at all; leave the hips and shoulders extended as your momentum carries you over top, and snap to straight body right in the last instant as you land. This reinforces leading with the hips and chest, and delaying the snap. Once you can do this with good form, then try to do it to your feet again, but try to still delay the snap over top.

Hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back