Anon Can you wear ponytails for competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is there a deduction for hair being in a ponytail for competition? Looking to braid my daughters hair part way into two ponytails but I don’t want her to get deductions for her hair. Thanks!

Absolutely you can, per USAG. The ONLY rule the USAG has about hair is that is should be secured back from the face as to not obscure vision. While individual gyms may set different requirements, luckily my gym does not. My daughter has short hair and just clips it back off her face.

This is the only rule that I found from the usag policies: Hair secured away from the face so as to not obscure her vision of the apparatus.

However, gyms may have their own policy. DDs does not allow hair touching the neck. I would check with your coaches or the team handbook, if there is one.

Unless the rules have changed, yes, pony tails are allowed. I have seen all kinds of hair styles through the years including many long pony tails. I don't know if it's a specific rule but for safety purposes it is best to make sure the hair is up high/back enough as too not hit the equipment or swing into the gymnast's face.

Having said that, every gym is different and some require specific hair styles to be uniform, like buns.

Every gym is different. One of my girl's gym didn't care as long as it was neat and would not get caught on anything. So, braids, ponytails, buns were all acceptable. My other daughter's gym required high buns until they realized that she had so much hair it would not stay no matter what we did. She competed with a high pony as a result.

My gyms rule was that your hair cannot touch the floor in a handstand so if you have long hair in a pony tail and it touches the floor in handstand then it has to be in a bun or something. The next “test” if you wanted a pony tail was if you could grab the pony tail and bring the hair around your head to touch your face then your hair was too long for a competition pony tail.

Is there a deduction for hair being in a ponytail for competition? Looking to braid my daughters hair part way into two ponytails but I don’t want her to get deductions for her hair. Thanks!
Gyms have their own rules. At our gym, it’s buns, they can be braidEd buns but buns

I have to add my kid is now 17 and a HS Jr who does gym in HS. Buns aren’t required but she likes them at this point and does her own

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back