Canadian Peng Peng Lee

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
How did she do in Worlds? I know she went the furthest out if the Canadian girls but I can't remember how she did.

Also, did we qualify for an Olympic team? I'm so out of the loop!

SHe came 19th AA in the WAG AA competition. Fell on beam sadly. She did make beam finals too, but fel there.

Hopefully she will get more consistent between now and the Olympic test event in London in JAnuary, as the Canadian team still need to qualify for the Olmpics thorugh that.

I understand the same team is off to the Pan Am games in Brazil this week. CAnada does not have a deep elite squad so they are sending the same team, unlike the uSA that has a new team to send.

Canada screwed themselves of qualifying to the Olympics (without having to go to the test event) by not using Chiarelli...she has a DTY that she's been competing for a while and her floor difficulty is up there too...she was having great practices (compared to some of her teammates that were falling all over the place) and got told at the last minute that she'd be the "alternate" so....she sat on the sidelines with her skill set while Canada had to count falls and vaults with lower start values!

Canada's PTB never get it right. A crazy qualifying system and way too much politicking. Talia should've been on the team, it was a travesty that she sat and watched.

You would think they would put the best kids in so they have more places for the favourites at the Olympics.

They have done it backwards for so long that I wonder if they really think about anything they do. They should let Kelly and Susan Manjak run she show, I am sure we'd begin to see results.

Even though we have some great juniors that are age eligible for the O's I doubt they will represent us, as under the ridiculous points system they will be starting at zero, whilst girls who have competed internationally have many. So no matter how good they are they will not be on the top of the heap.

And Chiarelli is supposed to be going to Pan Ams but if I were her parents and had watched her sit out the Worlds (while missing 3 weeks of school) , I'd tell Canada to take that lovely team with them to Mexico as well because Talia isn't going. The killer is that the Canadian powers that be sought HER out, not the other way around , so you'd think they were going to use her .The hassle of it all to not compete is ridiculous because she's definitely better than the majority of the Canadian team on at least vault and floor.

I couldn't put it better myself. It is a disgrace!

Her vault was needed sorely and Talia has worked so hard to get where she is. I still remember seeing her train as a little girl at Corona gym in Ottawa, a hard working kid. I would totally keep her home. Coralie Leblonde should have sat out, her difficulty scores are nowhere near strong enough to help the team place. Lovely girl, but she should be looking at NCAA not the O's.

Politics, it is all politics.

From what I heard of the whole debacle, Coralie isn't from Ontario and even though her performance was subpar in training , she was named to compete so that the whole team wouldn't be all English-speaking!! What rubbish!

Coralie is from Montreal, she is French Canadian. If you look back at all the teams that represent Canada we have always sent a French Canadian, even if we had more talented kids who were eligible. It is total crap.

We never send our best, usualy we just leave them sitting at home. Talia had the unfortunate pleasure of being named to the team, taken to Tokyo and then being left in the stands. I cannot imgine how her parents feel about this, they have sacrifieced for this too. Maybe her dad can use some of his clout to ruffle a few feathers. I know Pengs dad owns a newspaper. When Kristina was left off the last O team in favour of another Gymnix (montreal) kid, the journalist got right on top of it. Nothing changed however.

Until the people who run Canadian gym are replaced nothing will change. They have set up a system that guarantees the very best will not represent.

Part of me hopes when they go to the test event ( that they might NOT have needed had they used Talia) in London, and they still don't use Talia , that they don't qualify a team to London...it would serve them right.

I know what you mean, stuff like this brings out the worst in me too. I really want to see Peng in London she is lovely. But it is likely that might not happen.

Until the people who run Canadian gym are replaced nothing will change. They have set up a system that guarantees the very best will not represent.

On that note; how are the PTB decided and by whom?

Maybe her dad can use some of his clout to ruffle a few feathers. I know Pengs dad owns a newspaper.

Your posts make me laugh. Your disgusted with the politics in gymnastics and yet you condone someone using their "clout" to get what there way in getting there daughter on the team. :rolleyes: Hmmm.

It is too bad you cannot see the trees for the forest. Getting selected and participating in international events is a priviledge and an opportunity to gain experience both mentally and competitively whether you compete with the core team or not.

No one is "entitled" to make the team. And I don't buy into your conspiracy theory. The coaches do their best to make the right decision based on many factors. First and foremost they put together the *BEST* team that they think will qualify a Canadian team. This could mean chosing the most consistent performers, even though they may not have the highest starting values or chosing the ones that are mentally strong enough to compete. The fact that the competing group had falls does not equate to someone left off performing flawlessly.

Part of me hopes when they go to the test event ( that they might NOT have needed had they used Talia) in London, and they still don't use Talia , that they don't qualify a team to London...it would serve them right.

Sad. Let everyone suffer is the answer? LOL

Your posts make me laugh. Your disgusted with the politics in gymnastics and yet you condone someone using their "clout" to get what there way in getting there daughter on the team. :rolleyes: Hmmm.

It is too bad you cannot see the trees for the forest. Getting selected and participating in international events is a priviledge and an opportunity to gain experience both mentally and competitively whether you compete with the core team or not.

No one is "entitled" to make the team. And I don't buy into your conspiracy theory. The coaches do their best to make the right decision based on many factors. First and foremost they put together the *BEST* team that they think will qualify a Canadian team. This could mean chosing the most consistent performers, even though they may not have the highest starting values or chosing the ones that are mentally strong enough to compete. The fact that the competing group had falls does not equate to someone left off performing flawlessly.

And they didn't do this at Worlds..the most consistent performer in PT was Chiarelli ...she was solid, especially on vault and FX so sorry, Matrix , not buying your argument. The competing group had the falls in PT and continued to have them competing and as Bog has pointed out, this system in Canada has existed for a long time where girls are put on teams for political reasons, period. If they didn't want her to compete, fine, then stop chasing her in the US and begging her to do so..

I am assuming based on your post that you know what I know. You know that there is a points system and you know that Talia Chiarelli was headhunted (for want of a better phrase) for the Canadian team. I never suggested that "clout" should be used to get something she didn't deserve, I suggested "clout" be used to highlight in the media that Talia was hugely encouraged to come to Canada for the team and then, despite her good showing, was left sitting when other girls, who had shown less well, competed.

I also assume you know that when Krisitina Vaciulik was left of the last O team it was due to her not having enough points, even though she came 2nd AA at nationals. So once more we sent what the "PTB" deigned to be the best, but who on paper were not the best. This is where the media came in last time, there is no way that you don't remember this.

Kristina Vaculik « The Gymblog

Send Kristina Vaculik to the Olympic Games Petition

Hopfner-Hibbs & Kristina Vaculik « Gymbrooke Sports News

Canadian Olympic alternate Kristina Vaculik out — Gymnastics Coaching.com

You may not like what I am saying, but that doesn't make it incorrect, it just means you have a differing opinion.

As to my posts making you laugh, I aim to please! :D

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back