Off Topic Cant balance handstand, any helpful tips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, literally ive been practicing handstand for 2years.. and not progressing at all. I can maintain handstand against the wall.. and can hold it for minutes, i have plenty of strength in my upper body and core. but as soon as i move my feet away from wall i fall.. whether backwards or forwards. Any tips?

Can't really say without looking at the form, but you should focus on pushing away from the floor, not sticking your head out, not arching, and squeezing glutes.
Also, this drill at 5:45 in this video might help!

Hi, literally ive been practicing handstand for 2years.. and not progressing at all. I can maintain handstand against the wall.. and can hold it for minutes, i have plenty of strength in my upper body and core. but as soon as i move my feet away from wall i fall.. whether backwards or forwards. Any tips?

Don't use a wall. You won't learn to balance if you are on the wall.

Can you kick up and walk on your hands? Start with that.

Walking on hands leads to people who can walk on their hands just fine but always keep running away on those hands instead of standing still and balancing. Ask a quadrillion crossfitters trying to hold a handstand without a wall. Walking for many meters but that's about it. Very hard to break as a habit. We go the other way round - 5 seconds balancing, better 10 seconds. No walking before that goal is achieved (adult beginners). We love this drill:

I cant. I thought handwalk is more advanced thing and is more difficult to perform/learn than just a still handstand is?

I attach photos. 1st photo is the position how I start the handstand after kicking off the ground and getting against the wall... I can stay in that position for minutes.. (as long as my arms get tired). and the 2nd is where I get to after moving feet away from wall.. as you see my body is aligned ant straight. but I can only hold legs like this for a few seconds.. then they start falling whether backwards or forward.. where is the problem? weak core?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 52
I could never balance a freestanding handstand as a gymnast unless I was on pbars/parallettes. I started practicing on and off on the floor a few years ago and now I'm up to a minute and a half with no walking! I try to do a minute freestanding daily.

What helped me most:
1. Holding split, double stag, or L-Handstands
this lowers you to the ground and makes finding your balance point easier
I didn't switch to straight handstands until I had a minute in split position, and the transition was seamless (The first day I tried straight handstand I was able to reach a minute).

2. Keeping the balance towards your fingertips
This will fatigue your forearms faster, but at least for me it's way easier to find my balance point
When I lose my balance, I go back to my fingertips until I've regained balance. Then I try to shift to the center of my hand so I don't have to grip as hard.

3. Shoulders raised + straight elbows
To hold for a long time you want to keep balance-checks to a minimum, and in the hands ideally.
If you have multiple sources of balance-checks (shoulder angle, shoulder level, elbow bending, back movement, knees), they compound and make regaining balance difficult.

4. Use the wall
The wall is a great tool for handstands, here are it's best uses IMO:

-Increasing your endurance by going for new records
-Alignment with your belly facing the wall (walls are straight, so more body contacting the wall = straighter body)
-Applying alignment to free standing by gently pressing off the wall repeatedly to attempt at finding your balance point

Hope some of this helps :)

I cant. I thought handwalk is more advanced thing and is more difficult to perform/learn than just a still handstand is?

In my opinion... handstand walking in much easier than just a static hold until you learn how to hold... then the hold is easier. If you want to try handstand walking... take very small steps and try to change directions every few steps (forwards to backwards to forwards).

Walking on hands leads to people who can walk on their hands just fine but always keep running away on those hands instead of standing still and balancing. Ask a quadrillion crossfitters trying to hold a handstand without a wall. Walking for many meters but that's about it. Very hard to break as a habit.

That's an interesting problem that you have... never had it. Then again... I don't consider handstand walking a "habit"... it's just handstand walking. Just takes lots of focused practice to learn to hold.

That's an interesting problem that you have... never had it. Then again... I don't consider handstand walking a "habit"... it's just handstand walking. Just takes lots of focused practice to learn to hold.
It is more difficult to relearn a already drilled in skill in a slightly different way than to learn it the right way from the start or (in this case) to learn the more basic skill first. Really, this is a standard problem in CF classes. Most people are able to handstand walk, nearly no one learns to do a proper handstand first and then the latter gets so much more difficult. It's just not smart to start with handstand walking.

It is more difficult to relearn a already drilled in skill in a slightly different way than to learn it the right way from the start or (in this case) to learn the more basic skill first. Really, this is a standard problem in CF classes. Most people are able to handstand walk, nearly no one learns to do a proper handstand first and then the latter gets so much more difficult. It's just not smart to start with handstand walking.
Interesting. I was the other way around as a gymnast. I could hold a long time, but never managed to get more than 2-4 steps forward in all my years of practice. I never could do that hand balancing walk to stay up in one place, either. I wonder what never clicked for me.

It is more difficult to relearn a already drilled in skill in a slightly different way than to learn it the right way from the start or (in this case) to learn the more basic skill first.

It actually depends on how you approach things. As long as a person is open to the change... then it is not difficult at all. In this case you are looking at handstand walking as the "incorrect" way to do a handstand... I don't see it that way... so my students don't either... so they have no issues learning walking first and still progressing into the hold.

Really, this is a standard problem in CF classes.

I have no idea how crossfit teaches a handstand. The crossfit gym by us teaches both regular handstands and walking?

Most people are able to handstand walk, nearly no one learns to do a proper handstand first and then the latter gets so much more difficult.

Why is it more difficult to learn to hold a handstand after being able to walk on your hands?

It's just not smart to start with handstand walking.

I wouldn't start with walking... but I wouldn't stop it either. And I definitely work handstand walking with athletes and never have and issue getting them to hold later on.

@kecks I just don't agree with you.

mlhhfatwtmw.jpg

Try to actively think about engaging your core muscles , everytime you see someone doing a handstand its all about balance and core strength , you will have to get used to get away from the wall too , as long as you're not on a hard surface you'll be fine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back