WAG Can't spot landing help needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymdaddio

Proud Parent
DD is having trouble spotting the floor on doubles on the floor and bar dismounts. She doesn't feel that she has trouble with twisting. She can't honestly say if she was ever good at it, but it is just more pronounced with doubles.

For example, everyone says her form looks great but her landing might look like she came up short without any reason. She says after the first couple in practice she kind find her timing and land them pretty well. But it is all timing based on the move and not on a visual cue.

If coaches tell her to spot the floor, she ends up throwing her head back. That never goes well. She just doesn't know what to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DD is having the same difficulty. She actually competed double back dismounts off bars last year without any issue and then started having problems this fall, stating she doesn't know where she is. Unfortunately she likes to do everything with her eyes closed, so that is adding to the difficulty of learning to spot. I would love to hear any coach's opinions on this.

DS has this a bit too. He does fine with double back dismounts, but has it with most floor skills over 1.5 twist. He's wants to do double full and double tuck in his FX but he does have trouble with landings. He has plenty of height and rotation on both. He just doesn't know when to open up and sometimes over rotates. He's never had great air sense. Hopefully, someone will post some tips here. He could use them.

DD is having trouble spotting the floor on doubles on the floor and bar dismounts. She doesn't feel that she has trouble with twisting. She can't honestly say if she was ever good at it, but it is just more pronounced with doubles.

For example, everyone says her form looks great but her landing might look like she came up short without any reason. She says after the first couple in practice she kind find her timing and land them pretty well. But it is all timing based on the move and not on a visual cue.

If coaches tell her to spot the floor, she ends up throwing her head back. That never goes well. She just doesn't know what to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i would like to see a video. it is more likely than not that her eyes are closed. telling her to "spot" can result in throwing the head.

they need to be told to "spot" the landing when they feel ready to land. this is haptic sense. if she is landing on her feet she can haptically "feel" when it's time to land. it is then you "spot" or "blink" the eyes open. you tell them to blink. understand? :) this task is "optic",

i would like to see a video. it is more likely than not that her eyes are closed. telling her to "spot" can result in throwing the head.

they need to be told to "spot" the landing when they feel ready to land. this is haptic sense. if she is landing on her feet she can haptically "feel" when it's time to land. it is then you "spot" or "blink" the eyes open. you tell them to blink. understand? :) this task is "optic",

OK, I spent the last hour trying to post a .mov. Couldn't figure it out. My DD didn't seem totally convinced, but I told her she needed to listen to you. So when you tell them to blink, should they be spotting the floor?

OK, I spent the last hour trying to post a .mov. Couldn't figure it out. My DD didn't seem totally convinced, but I told her she needed to listen to you. So when you tell them to blink, should they be spotting the floor?
Post it in you tube or dropbox,then post the link

DD had same trouble earlier on, but I have since seen her keep her chest up when she lands her doubles off bars. She says she is landing her doubles on a resi. Her double fulls have never been a problem however. She twists well. This is what she says she now does..."I concentrate on keeping my chest up. That's what I do."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back