WAG Can't think of a good post title, but wanted to share...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I like everything in the article except for:
-Everything about your presentation matters, including by not limited to your hairstyle, leotard, how you salute, and how you approach the judges table.

Hair shouldn't matter, as long as it's neat(ish). Kids have no choice in their leotard. And I don't understand why how you salute and how you approach the judges table should matter either. Yes, I've seen girls make a "well, that sucked" face when the salute at the end of a routine, and I could see taking off for that, but otherwise, no.

I really liked this one:
-Every judge out there wishes we could do what you do, and wear a leotard without scaring people, and many of us did gymnastics like you (only 5, 10, 30 years ago). So be proud of what you do. Take whatever score you earned and move on. Your parents will still think you’re amazing and Olympic-bound.

I think we do tend to think judges are "against our team" or "for another team". And maybe, occassionally, there is some of that. But most of the time, I thikn they are just judging what they see.

ANd these 2:
-We find all of you [gymnasts] very cute and talented and to tell the truth, most of you look exactly alike. Some judges have trouble picking out their own daughter from the crowd of gymnasts competing.

-We don’t remember what we gave you last meet and definitely don’t remember if you fell or not. (Some of us are at the age that we can’t remember why we walked into the kitchen!)

ROFL!

Oh I really liked that post!

For me hair or a leo doesn't make any difference but the way a kid salutes does matter! We always keep saying "Salute like a world champion!" When I judge my own gymnast the other judges are always a little bit higher in scores because I see my own gymnasts errors better (I see them all the time in the gym!) and sometimes I expect an error to happen because it happens at gym but surprisingly doesn't happen at meets.

Being a judge isn't rewarding really. But because we have to bring a judge if we take our team to a meet we don't have the freedom to choose if we want to become judges or not. Actually the judging part is pretty interesting because I've always loved math and writing the symbols is like knowing a strange language! Fortunately we don't have to deal with parents but the coaches may sometimes be very upset about scores. I have to admit I'm also a little upset sometimes if I get to know the judges have forgotten to take a deduction (sometimes a judge can completely miss a fall and not take a deduction, been there done that) and sometimes coaches seem to add deduction which are not up to date.

I always tell parents that I'm a judge and judging isn't easy. I tell them they should never question a score if children can hear that. If the score is completely messed up the COACHES do notice that and we take care we inform the head judge.

Unfortunately the hair usually falls on the parents and some of us are not that talented with hair. I would imagine as long as it was neatly done it would be good enough. But sometimes it is neatly done in the beginning but by the last rotation looks horrible. So what then? Hair really shouldn't matter! and that is exactly what I tell my dd's when they start worrying about their hair.

Tight hair = tight gymnastics. It doesn't have to be fancy but it has to be tight. There is enough gel and hairspray to keep your daughters' hair up. And I think when they say leotard matters, it needs to fit properly and be neat and clean. Saluting and approaching the judges' table appropriately is something they teach the girls right from the start. Being polite, respectful and having a smile will (and should) go a long way. HOWEVER, all of that will not help a bit if the gymnastics isn't there.

Tight hair = tight gymnastics. It doesn't have to be fancy but it has to be tight. There is enough gel and hairspray to keep your daughters' hair up.

So many meets my daughter would be too nervous to let me do anything to her hair. She'd pull it back in a ponytail (not tight, because "that makes my head hurt, and it already hurts enough because i'm scare"), so before she'd even hit the first event, her hair was hanging in her face. I finally told her that I'd found out (although I made it up at the time) that her hair counted. The next meet she let me braid the front hair into a really tight ponytail so it would stay tight. She got the best scores for that level that day. Now, she also didn't fall off the beam, as in previous meet, but it at least convinced her that she needed to be as neat with her hair as she could.
I think she's also more focused when her hair is tight.
Now if I could just get her to let me do a bun and keep the long pony tied up, we'd be golden! LOL!

-Everything about your presentation matters, including by not limited to your hairstyle, leotard, how you salute, and how you approach the judges table.

It is a subtle reminder of all of the "life lessons" one is exposed to/learns from in gymnastics. This part of the article parallels a job interview. Although your appearance, posture, handshake, etc. shouldn't matter, they do! These are non-verbal ways of communicating that you brought your "A" game and that you are setting the stage for your best performance.

I do think appearance matters, but gymnasts are hard on their hair! And my dd's hair is wild, wild, wild. I think we have hit on something that works though. and now I have to figure out my other dd's hair - which is completely different.

Speaking of hair....if anyone is interested in learning about techniques for indestructible gym hair, or sharing their knowledge, the social group Scrunchies, Braids and Glitter Spray is for you!:)
. Oooo. That sounds fantastic! May I have an invite as well?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back