WAG CaptainU? -- USAG recruiting website?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
I was renewing my daughter's USAG membership and am being asked if she'd like a free college recruiting profile with CaptainU. I have never heard of this site. I'm not opposed to having her listed in a database but is this something new, or did I just not notice it in the past? Anyone know anything about CaptainU?

I know I've never heard of it until the other day.

So I went ahead and signed up for it since it was free and my daughter is a junior. As soon as I did they immediately sent me emails saying college coaches are looking at you and here are schools that we think you fit in with. Then of course they wanted me to up grade to a paid subscription. I think once the season starts, if it does, I will at least have my daughter fill out the free portion. Right now as a rising Level 10 she does not have a lot to write about so no need to notify coaches indicating that my daughter really is not ready for college skills yet, that is just a good way to not get looked at down the road. I did look on USA gymnastics and read that this is a new partnership. Everyone starts out with a free version but you will get emails asking to pay for higher levels of recruiting options. I personally don't mind getting a little spam if down the road it does become something I am interested in and if college coaches actually use it. Its new, so totally unproven at this point but the company does this for many sports so I do think that it is legitimate. If you look for the parent company information you will find a large network of on line companies. So your personal choice, but you can set up a free profile which I am sure will just get you more emails asking for you to upgrade.

As a follow up I did respond to one of their emails I got describing how I (my daughter) was supposed to be posting about all the events my daughter is going to and updates and a lot of things that are not happening right now do to covid. I basically said in my email "You do realize there are no events right now due to Covid 19?" My email was sent to their help desk and they took me off the distribution list for emails right now since I was getting at least one a week already. So at least hey responded.

Fyi I don’t know how new it is. My daughter got their emails 4 years ago when she was recruiting. I believe she signed up as it was free but I don’t think anything happened. I got the feeling that it wasn’t going to be really oriented to gymnastics anyway but this was 4 years ago.

My gymnast is only 8th grade, but I signed up my older daughter a year ago when she entered her freshman year (softball and volleyball player) and get many "a coach has found you" emails, but as stated I can't see who they are without paying for an upgrade. I figured I would do that during softball season, since she made the varsity team - but then Covid hit and there were no games, so nothing to add to her profile, and now our state is in limbo if volleyball is going to go... They do offer "free" recruiting seminars, but unfortunately they are always "tonight" and the email is delivered after I've left work so I miss them - and kind of suspect they might just be infomercials to upgrade. So, really, I have nothing concrete to review....lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back