WAG Cartwheel Official Hand position: T-Hand or 45-45 degrees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the ideal hand position for a Cartwheel?

In Round off , they teach the T-Hand position below. Should I also do same for cartwheel, or use 45/45 degrees hands?

What do most professional Level 10 and Olympic Gymnastics do? I am guessing, beginners use 45-45, and professionals use T-hand for Cartwheel.
I am hearing different things from colleagues and coaches. Looking for USA gymnastics or judge's thoughts also.

1641249175496.png

Score-wise, it makes no difference; there's no deduction for hand position in a cartwheel or roundoff to the best of my knowledge.

I generally have a mild preference for the T-hand position, but really it's whatever's comfortable and effective.

Score-wise, it makes no difference; there's no deduction for hand position in a cartwheel or roundoff to the best of my knowledge.

I generally have a mild preference for the T-hand position, but really it's whatever's comfortable and effective.

Hi statistically what percent of male and female gymnasts use T vs 45 in your experience ?

Hi statistically what percent of male and female gymnasts use T vs 45 in your experience ?
Can't say I've bothered to keep track. T-hands seem to work better on beam, since the hands fit a bit more comfortably in that position, but otherwise I don't think it makes a real difference.

Generally I start off by teaching T-hands, but I don't bother enforcing it past the very beginning stages. Athletes intuitively adjust from there to whatever feels comfortable.

Last edited:
I teach T hands for cartwheels, once they are ready.

It’s just easier for them to transition later on and be in the habit of Y hands when it’s time to turn their cartwheels into round offs and when they take their cartwheels to beam.

It also promotes a good turn out of the cartwheel, which is useful when we teach them side aerials.

I do not teach the hands in either. I actually don't teach anything unless there is some sort of issue.

Also don't teach the hands in a straight line. I teach a slight overturn.

Wrist injuries at our gym have gone down greatly now that we use "natural hand position".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back