Cartwheels and Front Limbers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I have a few questions about cartwheels and front limbers. Thank you so much for taking your time to read/answer these questions!

1) Is there a trick to keeping your legs straight besides pointing your toes and really practicing a lot? I make sure to lunge forward and practice a lot and try to point my toes, do you need to be able to hold a handstand for this skill?
2) How do you do dive cartwheels? I always try to jump/dive into them, and then my hands give out and I can't kick over.
3) For pop cartwheels, I find it really difficult to take my hands off the ground at the end because my entire body weight is on them. I can't push through my shoulders.
4) I get scared of one handed cartwheels, they seem difficult for me. Is there a way to practice for these?
5) For front limbers, I can stand up from the bridge, but I can't flip over into bridge from a handstand unless I have a spot because I get scared. Is there a way to overcome this fear?

I'm trying to get my aerial soon, just wondering, I know everyone moves at a different pace, but how long did it take you to learn your aerial (after you just got your cartwheel)? I really want to get my aerial and front limber. Thanks so much!

To keep your legs straight - focus on squeezing all of your muscles. That helps me. For questions 2 and 3 it seems like it is a strength problem. Focus on doing lots of conditioning to make your muscles stronger!! 4.) Have a coach spot you. Do normal cartwheels and slowly start putting less pressure on the arm that you will lift. Strength will also help with this. 5.) Tell yourself you can do it!! Get a spot... work your way up from the beginning! You'll get it, I promise!

After I got my cartwheel I think it took me about a year to get an aeriel; but I learn skills slower :)

I don't know if this is guaranteed to work but for the fear portion you really have to trust yourself I learnt that I could do it and got rid of my fear I think it has something to do with the way I learnt it I did it very gradually but once I knew I could land it I had little to no fear:)

When I got my handstand to bridge I started by walking my feet down a wall then doing it straight onto mats and as I felt more comfortable decreasing the height of the mats :) there might be a better method but that worked for me

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back