WAG Cartwheels and Handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pancake713

Gymnast
I'm in level 3, and I'm trying to learn how to do cartwheels and handstands on beam. In cartwheels I can only land one foot on the beam. My handstands don't go high enough, probably because I'm scared of falling. Does anyone know how to make these skills better?

Our HC has always said that if you can land one foot on the beam on a cartwheel, then you can land both of them :) To PRACTICE... just hold the second foot in the air for the split second needed to place it on the beam.
As for handstand... you need to kick up higher... which means you need to know that you can safely get out of the handstand (in case you kick too high)...
HS-Forward roll on a floor line... then a floor beam... then a low beam... etc.
I used to do a HS to a bridge on beam when I was younger.
You can also practice kicking up to a handstand at the end of the low beam with a wedge mat up against it... or with the beam against a padded wall.
Good luck.

For the cartwheel, bring your shoulders up and back quicker once your first foot lands on the beam. This was DD's problem when learning both the cartwheel and front walkover on beam. Once her foot landed on the beam, she was taking to long to finish the skill, and losing her balance.

Our HC has always said that if you can land one foot on the beam on a cartwheel, then you can land both of them :) To PRACTICE... just hold the second foot in the air for the split second needed to place it on the beam.
As for handstand... you need to kick up higher... which means you need to know that you can safely get out of the handstand (in case you kick too high)...
HS-Forward roll on a floor line... then a floor beam... then a low beam... etc.
I used to do a HS to a bridge on beam when I was younger.
You can also practice kicking up to a handstand at the end of the low beam with a wedge mat up against it... or with the beam against a padded wall.
Good luck.
Thanks I'll try this next practice

For the cartwheel, bring your shoulders up and back quicker once your first foot lands on the beam. This was DD's problem when learning both the cartwheel and front walkover on beam. Once her foot landed on the beam, she was taking to long to finish the skill, and losing her balance.
Thanks I'll try this

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back