MAG Cartwheels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Try the opposite way...leading with the other leg. Both my guys are righties but tumble like lefties.

THIS is the answer. and just to clarify. a left cartwheel is a 'right' side and right twisting skill.

it is clear that this boy needs to cartwheel left hand down first. turn that mat around and give it a couple of weeks. :)

Thank u everyone ! Dunno I'm gonna have him do that today . Yes thank goodness it's not on a beam lol . He's trying so hard hopefully with these tips it will help :)

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

It also looks like that mat is way too short for him. If he's trying to shorten his stride to match hands and feet to the prints on the mat, that would make it difficult if not impossible to straighten out his legs.

I don't think it looks all that bad. There is a magic day when a cartwheel becomes a controlled thing and not a momentum thing. He isn't there yet. For my son, it was just as his first level 4 season ended, and his second began. He was almost 7 at the time.

I have them jump back and forth between two lines making a triangle with their hands on something making the point, like this /*\. I put something in the empty space for them to look at. They start in X position on one line, facing the other line. Hands down on the thing in the middle and jump one foot then the other to the next line. He'll land facing the first line and go right back.

Once he figures out that the outer foot on one side is the inner foot on the other, he should be able to approximate the cartwheel pattern both ways.

I agree he's likely doing the wrong side, but I teach it both ways as soon as I can get them to stay in one place long enough.

First progression is X to X pattern (natural cartwheel motion). Second progression is lunge landing. Actually the problem with mixing feet on the landing and trying to do the wrong side is exacerbated in my experience when instructors insist on trying to teach the lunge.

I've had a lot of boys at this stage. He's not doing anything wrong at this point.

At this stage, he should be practicing both sides over a mat. Actually, his cartwheel would probably be easier if he were doing it off a panel mat.

He should not be worrying about a proper lunge in, cartwheel, land in a lunge. Side cartwheel is the basic. The lunge complicates thing with the 1/4 turn in and out. KISS.

The side cartwheel will be more difficult for those kids with poor shoulder and straddle flexibility and this might be a reason to focus on the front to back cartwheel. It still will go around the side until they get their shoulders open and legs more than 90 degrees towards 120 degrees. Some of this is because of the biomechanics and levers during inversion.

At this stage, it's all about the star cartwheel starting in an X over a mat or on the edge of the mat. They practice both sides.

1. one hand on each side of the end of panel mat. practice hopping from side to side over panel mat or a cone if they are placing hands at the edge of a mat (this way you can get 2 gymnasts on one panel mat).

2. hopping over one leg at a time. one leg then the other. they need to learn how to do this.

3. then they place their hands on the mat with the legs sort of in a lunge and hop over one leg at a time.

http://drillsandskills.com/article/10

Work more handstands first then move to cartwheels.
Best if they're done with a bit more room and a coach.

I talked to one of the coaches tonight .. Said he was using the mats and he actually landed on his feet a fee times ! Lol we have progress

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back