MAG Cartwheels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I'm no coach, but it looks to me almost like he doesn't understand the difference between a cartwheel and a roundoff.

Yeah I don't think he does .. I don't how to help him . He tries to straighten those legs but it's not happening. He's bruising up his legs too cause half the time he can't land on his feet

How old is he? I am not sure what is going on, but I know I see that alot in our rec/level3 and 4 boys. I think it is a body control thing...like he doesn't yet know where his legs are and what they are doing. His coach should be able to help him get it!

He just turned 8 last month . None of the boys in his class really have the cartwheel that great. As far as coaches ., we really don't have a consistent coach because the boys coach " quit " .

I know how frustrating that can be! Hopefully he is able to get some consistent coaching soon.

Yeah it's frustrating for all ., I mean of course the coaches that fill in are great , but the boys need someone firm. They are trying to find someone . He really loves the sport ,and he wants to learn.

My son had such a tough time with straightening his legs and remembering to end up with his hips facing the opposite direction. It just took a lot of practice and reminders. It helped to show him videos of himself so he could see what his legs looked like.

I remember seeing a wide variation of cartwheels competed at L4. By L5, they have mostly sorted themselves out and the boys at least are going straight and have straight arms and straight legs. I think it's another of those million things in gymnastics that's harder than it looks. Be thankful he doesn't have to put it on a balance beam!

Every once in a while one of the coaches will ask DS and his L5 teammates to do one-armed cartwheels as part of their warmups. There is . . . significant variation. But they're better at that than at front walkovers!

With consistent coaching, he should figure it out. I'm sorry your program is going through such a difficult period with coaching.

I remember seeing a wide variation of cartwheels competed at L4. By L5, they have mostly sorted themselves out and the boys at least are going straight and have straight arms and straight legs. I think it's another of those million things in gymnastics that's harder than it looks. Be thankful he doesn't have to put it on a balance beam!

Yes, my 6yo just competed L4, and he didn't have what I'd call a clean cartwheel until the state meet. He cleaned up his roundoff well before that, though. He has great upper body strength, but balance and gracefulness are not his strong suits. It's a good thing the boys don't compete on the beam!

Looks like he's trying to do a side-landing cartwheel which (in my limited experience) is harder for kids to learn than a cartwheel to lunge. Get him to 1/4 turn at the end and land facing the opposite way he started, finishing in a lunge position. Hopefully it'll be a bit easier to land. Good luck to him!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back