Parents Casting from a kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cloe Forner

Proud Parent
Hello all!
So my DD has a kip (well out of 5 try's she will make at least 3). They aren't 100% consistent, and they aren't always with straight arms. She cannot figure out how to cast out of her kip, and whenever she try's, she just falls forward. Does any one have any tips? Or how can she get her kip more consistent?

Thanks so much everyone!

I agree with both the other replies- consistency first, then worry about the cast. One thing that helped both the consistency and the cast for me was not looking at the bar as I swung up.

She is probably falling forward because she is trying to lean forward against the bar but has her legs behind her. If she finishes the kip with her toes and shoulders in front of the bar (folded at the hips) she is in the right position to cast. But I would leave this problem to the coaches.

I'd have to see a video to be sure, but here are the most common issues that would cause this:

1) Initiating the kip too early. She should extend all the way to the top of the glide, and initiate the kip as she starts swinging back.

2) Gripping the bar too tightly. A kip should have a fairly relaxed grip

3) Failing to keep the feet in front of the bar long enough at the end. As the kip finishes, she should try to keep her feet in front of the bar as her shoulders lean forward

If she's still at 3/5 on her kips, I wouldn't worry too much about the cast; it'll come with time. If the kip is done well, the cast becomes almost automatic.

Last edited:
So my DD has a kip (well out of 5 try's she will make at least 3). They aren't 100% consistent, and they aren't always with straight arms.

As everyone else has said... the kip needs to be consistent before learning how to cast out of it.

Once our athletes do their first kip... then we get them to go for a second and a third in the same turn. This does not mean that they can kip cast though. Many times they stop after the kip and then cast away and try another.

I agree with both the other replies- consistency first, then worry about the cast. One thing that helped both the consistency and the cast for me was not looking at the bar as I swung up.

She is probably falling forward because she is trying to lean forward against the bar but has her legs behind her. If she finishes the kip with her toes and shoulders in front of the bar (folded at the hips) she is in the right position to cast. But I would leave this problem to the coaches.
So if she's not supposed to look at the bar when she swings up, where should she look?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back