CDC reports outbreak of COVID-19 delta variant at Oklahoma gymnastics facility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

the outbreak was from 2 months ago. This tells us more about how long the delta variant has been in the US. Also, 23 were gymnasts with another 21 as household contacts, so a good number of those positives were ineligible for the vaccine since the vaccine wasn't approved for 12+ until mid May.

I find these stories of breakthrough infections alarming. Four of the people who caught the virus were fully vaccinated; it would be good to know how many had mRNA vaccines and how many had the less effective J&J single-dose viral vector vaccine. We don’t yet know what the long-term consequences are of “mild” infections in vaccinated people, but those same “mild“ infections can have devastating long-term consequences in the unvaccinated.

All in all, this just confirms that we need (1) vaccination requirements and (2) continued masking for all (because you need masks on the infected people, not just on those who want to avoid becoming infected).

I find these stories of breakthrough infections alarming. Four of the people who caught the virus were fully vaccinated; it would be good to know how many had mRNA vaccines and how many had the less effective J&J single-dose viral vector vaccine. We don’t yet know what the long-term consequences are of “mild” infections in vaccinated people, but those same “mild“ infections can have devastating long-term consequences in the unvaccinated.

All in all, this just confirms that we need (1) vaccination requirements and (2) continued masking for all (because you need masks on the infected people, not just on those who want to avoid becoming infected).
4 out of 43 is under 10% which is within the stats they have provided for infection in vaccinated population using the mrna vaccines. They do not say how many were asymptomatic, nor whether the vaccinated people likely spread to others (which currently is not the prevailing belief in the research) , which would be a big help.

There is no guarantee of 100 % protection on any vaccine.

Many of the alleged break through infections are not only mild but asympotmatic (in other words a positive test with no symptoms). NY Yankees a perfect example.

No we do not need to require vaccinations, as in vaccination by force.

And no we do not need to continue to keep the whole world masked and on lockdown. Any one at risk is certainly free to mask for the rest of their lives. They are also welcome to limit their comings and goings but everyone else doesn't need to.

Are you implying that the J&J vaccine could be responsible for providing a false sense of security? Because in all actuality, as more and more data is unveiled, the J&J vaccine is arguably the most effective against variants according to recent releases & the Pfizer vaccine efficacy is down to 64% against variants. The J&J provides the longest efficacy at 8 months and Pfizer is now recommending a booster between 6-12 months.

No we do not need to require vaccinations, as in vaccination by force.

And no we do not need to continue to keep the whole world masked and on lockdown. Any one at risk is certainly free to mask for the rest of their lives. They are also welcome to limit their comings and goings but everyone else doesn't need to.
I agree with you. My brother had asymptomatic Covid around Halloween (caught it at church in a room with only one other person).

This spring, he was (in his own words) too lazy to get on a waiting list at work to get the vaccine. I had to postpone my first dose because of a hospital stay the week I was supposed to get it done (stupid obstruction). So I waited. The day after I got my first dose, he found out that his work was doing the J&J on a walk-in basis. He got it the following week, so he was fully vaxxed before me.

We still both wear masks when we are going shopping or to gym because our sister can't get vaccinated yet per medical advice (and the doctor who gave her the advice is fully vaxxed as is her entire staff, so the doc isnt anti-vax. Lol, it is the same doctor that encouraged me to get it done.)

Brother and I CHOSE to get vaxxed and we CHOOSE to wear masks.
Choice is a wonderful thing. And, it meant that we could safely meet our great nephew last weekend. He is so cute and the spitting image of his father (our nephew). The little guy was the only one not vaccinated for Covid - because, well, 1 year olds aren't eligible yet.

Are you implying that the J&J vaccine could be responsible for providing a false sense of security? Because in all actuality, as more and more data is unveiled, the J&J vaccine is arguably the most effective against variants according to recent releases & the Pfizer vaccine efficacy is down to 64% against variants. The J&J provides the longest efficacy at 8 months and Pfizer is now recommending a booster between 6-12 months.

can you share links on this? I cannot find anything that says J&J is arguably the most effective against variants. most I find still say Pfizer and Moderna, although the data on moderna is not as strong since it isn't approved everywhere yet. I just read several articles that suggest J&J was about 60% effective, and Pfizer was sitting around 84%.

And yes, booster shots are probably going to be needed, although the difference between 8 months and 6-12 months seems negligible to me

can you share links on this? I cannot find anything that says J&J is arguably the most effective against variants. most I find still say Pfizer and Moderna, although the data on moderna is not as strong since it isn't approved everywhere yet. I just read several articles that suggest J&J was about 60% effective, and Pfizer was sitting around 84%.

And yes, booster shots are probably going to be needed, although the difference between 8 months and 6-12 months seems negligible to me
I will link the articles, but J&J claims their efficacy does not wane even after 8 months but expect longer protection as 8 months of data is all they have. I have read several journals where the J&J has been more effective against variants, but I’ll have to scour for those, but these are the ones I read today.
Pfizer variant efficacy for Israel, which just about has its entire population vaccinated.
The J&J study was released on their website July 1st and is currently under review for release in a journal if I read it correctly.

I will link the articles, but J&J claims their efficacy does not wane even after 8 months but expect longer protection as 8 months of data is all they have. I have read several journals where the J&J has been more effective against variants, but I’ll have to scour for those, but these are the ones I read today.
Pfizer variant efficacy for Israel, which just about has its entire population vaccinated.
The J&J study was released on their website July 1st and is currently under review for release in a journal if I read it correctly.
It seems that the data is still too new to really know what it is truly saying yet.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...icacy-as-delta-variant-concerns-rise/2419162/

I think some of the issue is that not all vaccines are available everywhere, and not all variables are controlled the same. But .... very happy to have been vaccinated, and will get a booster should one be suggested :)

It seems that the data is still too new to really know what it is truly saying yet.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...icacy-as-delta-variant-concerns-rise/2419162/

I think some of the issue is that not all vaccines are available everywhere, and not all variables are controlled the same. But .... very happy to have been vaccinated, and will get a booster should one be suggested :)
Most definitely will get a booster, but I do not feel that Pfizer or Moderna is a ‘better’ vaccine or that J&J is a less than vaccine. The J&J clinical trials were more diverse and spanned far more countries. I do feel that Pfizer is calling a lot of the shots and in some instances not being ethical, but that just could be my conspiracy spidey sense. For this reason, I got J&J and will not get Pfizer, but I’m not against Moderna, lol….

Of the three the one I wouldn’t get is J&J.

While all vaccines have risks for some individuals. The clotting issues that have popped enough for a pause makes it a no go. Folks who have undiagnosed disorders of coagulation typically get found when they throw a clot.

We are fortunate enough to have options. So it’s an easy decision to take J&J off the list.

J&J is, overall, much less effective against "mild" and "moderate" disease than the mRNA vaccines. Part of this may be a result of the fact that it is adminstered as a single dose rather than in a two-dose regimen.

I am not advocating for lockdown, but I fail to see how requiring people to wear masks in public places is an imposition. It is more effective to put the mask on the person spreading the virus than on the person who is trying to avoid infection, and most effective to have masks on both. The less the virus spreads, the less opportunity it has to develop into more dangerous variants that can evade the vaccines.

Most of the kids at the two facilities I am associated with had covid run through several months ago. The kids were either asymptomatic or had something along the lines of a runny nose. They are now immune from covid without vaccination. It is turning out that young people can be more at risk from the vaccine than actual covid, so I am definitely against mandatory vaccine for them (especially young males who are at the highest risk of cardiac injury).

Most of the kids at the two facilities I am associated with had covid run through several months ago. The kids were either asymptomatic or had something along the lines of a runny nose. They are now immune from covid without vaccination. It is turning out that young people can be more at risk from the vaccine than actual covid, so I am definitely against mandatory vaccine for them (especially young males who are at the highest risk of cardiac injury).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back