WAG Cecile and Laurent to WCC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm excited to see where this takes her. WOGA definitely seems to have a different coaching approach (in general) than Aimee did, but Simone is now also a decorated, adult gymnast who probably has a lot more autonomy than the average gymnast. It could be a great pairing! Time will tell...

I'm excited to see where this takes her. WOGA definitely seems to have a different coaching approach (in general) than Aimee did, but Simone is now also a decorated, adult gymnast who probably has a lot more autonomy than the average gymnast. It could be a great pairing! Time will tell...

My money is on the opposite. Simone not appreciating the WOGA style. I Simone has some diva in her. I remember her complaining to Aimee that her legs were dead prior to the Olympics.

My money is on the opposite. Simone not appreciating the WOGA style. I Simone has some diva in her. I remember her complaining to Aimee that her legs were dead prior to the Olympics.
I always understood it was very different than that. Aimee taught Simone to be involved in her training, to know her body and be aware of what she needed. I only imagine that now, any coach hired to work with her was considered for awhile and agreement would have been made. Also, it's not like she moved to their gym, they were hired at her gym.

I always understood it was very different than that. Aimee taught Simone to be involved in her training, to know her body and be aware of what she needed. I only imagine that now, any coach hired to work with her was considered for awhile and agreement would have been made. Also, it's not like she moved to their gym, they were hired at her gym.

Very good points. I hope it works out for all parties.

Yeah I agree. I don't think she's a diva. I think she and Aimee struck a very unusual gymnast-coach balance and obviously it worked well.

I'm sure she and the Laurants will and have started to establish their own rapport. Simone was in a unique position to bring a top level coach to her.

The only other gymnast in a similar position that I can think of was Dominique Moceanu. Her parents built her a gym in Houston and she brought her coach with her. Unfortunately, that gym was not successful and she emancipated from her parents not to long afterward.

Reactions: sce

What's wrong with saying that your legs are dead? I don't get how that makes you a diva.

I think the fact that Aimee was able to get so much out of a gymnast with POSITIVE and ETHICAL coaching should be a lesson to every coach in the country. You don't have to torture or abuse a child to achieve success. I also think it's great how Aimee taught Simone to listen to her body instead of ignoring it, and how to advocate for herself as an athlete.

I do think it's interesting that she picked a bars coach... I wonder if she is aiming to make all 5 finals at a world championship or the Olympics???

Yeah I agree. I don't think she's a diva. I think she and Aimee struck a very unusual gymnast-coach balance and obviously, it worked well.

Maybe Diva is the wrong word. I think you summed it up wonderfully. I still worry the WOGA mentality will end this relationship before we get to the Olympics again.

Cecile and Laurent don't entirely employ the WOGA mentality (except for maybe 'Train Hard or Go Home' - which probably won't be an issue with Simone). They both know their athletes and understand how to best encourage and coach each person according to their specific personality and needs. In my opinion, she couldn't have made a better choice, and if there's anyone who can get her to bars finals, it's definitely Laurent!

Cecile and Laurent don't entirely employ the WOGA mentality (except for maybe 'Train Hard or Go Home' - which probably won't be an issue with Simone). They both know their athletes and understand how to best encourage and coach each person according to their specific personality and needs. In my opinion, she couldn't have made a better choice, and if there's anyone who can get her to bars finals, it's definitely Laurent!

One thing I liked about him in a video shared was him talking about how important it was for his athletes to know that he believed in them, and that if he didn't believe in them, how could they believe in themselves. I don't know much about the Landis but that impressed me.

Can someone explain what the WOGA style is?

I don't think Simone or her parents will put up with either of those . Again, Simone is in a unique position, she has the power ( with her parents) to essentially kick her coaches out of the gym instead of the other way around. I'm sure she will listen to them like she clearly listened to Aimee but unlike most coach/athlete relationships it's her gym not theirs.

I could be wrong but I think they are referring to the culture of multiple daily weigh-ins, and a mentality of not questioning the coach.
My daughter trained there for many years and said that the weigh-ins stopped a long time ago. There have been a few coaches over the years who still made comments here and there about weight, but never Cecile and Laurent. Some of the coaches do have the mentality that they shouldn't be questioned, but more with the little kids, and probably more for their sanity. From my experience, it's more that they expect the girls to be machines that work out 36 hours a week, with lives that revolve around gymnastics. This is for all optionals, regardless of whether or not they are headed for elite. The coaching style is not exactly one of positive reinforcement, although I will say that Laurent is the exception to that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back