ChalkBucket Is Secret?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you share ChalkBucket with your gym friends?

• Yes

• No

• I'm never thought of it like this... I will share the site now!

Results are only viewable after voting.

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent

ChalkBucket is my super secret place to discuss gymnastics and I don't want anyone else to know!​

jimmy fallon dancing GIF

Ok everyone... you have to stop this. We get asked all the time if ChalkBucket is doing anything to help the culture of gymnastics? I have to say... we aren't doing much if we are a secret.

So what are we doing... we are getting more people to ChalkBucket to talk more gymnastics.

ChalkBucket's membership literally has 1,000's of years of combined gymnastics experience. These stories and experiences need to be shared with everyone. As families come into gymnastics... they need to know what is normal and what is not.

ChalkBucket has the ability to help everyone learn about what a positive culture is just through the power of open discussion.

Please do not keep ChalkBucket as your secret place to talk about gymnastics. Make it the place where everyone comes to help drive gymnastics positively into the future.

Share good articles and discussions from ChalkBucket on Facebook and with your gym friends... bring them in... not lock them out.

Do you want to help develop a positive culture in gymnastics?​

Then here you go... start by sharing our latest great article on Facebook or through text with a gym friend... once you do... post here and let us know that you did...

Give us some feedback on this one... I'm adding a poll to the top.

Don't hold back on this one. We really need to understand why so many feel like they cannot share this site and need to keep it secret? Post and tell us.

I mention that I "did some research" or "looked ______ up online" but I don't think I've specifically mentioned the site by name to my gym parent friends. I am still a little worried about being outed, LOL, but I agree that the information shared here is too good not to share.

Same as above I have said I have found some good forums online or something like that but...I like the anonymity. I think some things I have said would maybe make me identifiable to people at my gym and if I need to complain about the gym and/or coaches I want to do that without rumors started by other parents. I think I have a core group of mom friends if they asked I would tell them but the lower level moms I dont share this site with them. I do encourage people to research the sport online which I think would bring them to this site on their own, then they may not be sure if that crazy lady on the forum is the nice lady from the waiting room lol. I need the possiblity of doubt in thier minds...

If someone asks me about it I'll rave about his site but I'm not particularly interested in other people from our gym being on here.

I shared with select few at our old gym when my daughter was in lower levels. I have not shared at newer gym for many reasons. But I would if I thought it would be received well.

Ok… so help me out… how do we get more people to the site without people having to “out” themselves?

Don’t get me wrong… I totally get it… but there has to be a way to get this out to rookie gym parents quicker.

What about just sharing the article? Pretty much the same… right? People would link you to the site sooner or later.

Ok… so help me out… how do we get more people to the site without people having to “out” themselves?

Don’t get me wrong… I totally get it… but there has to be a way to get this out to rookie gym parents quicker.

What about just sharing the article? Pretty much the same… right? People would link you to the site sooner or later.

This is a good question, and in many cases, we can remain pretty anonymous. But maybe a way to post anonymously even more...maybe thru a moderator? That could help people feel more comfortable?

Just a brainstorm.....

Interesting thought… what does everyone else think of this? Give members a way / place where they could post anonymously?

Is this something that would make people feel more comfortable?
This is a good idea. It would allow sharing if information without concern that our experiences (or children's) would be connected to the individuals. For example, share information on an injury and not worry about possible recruiting implications. I do think it should be moderated.

This is a good idea. It would allow sharing if information without concern that our experiences (or children's) would be connected to the individuals. For example, share information on an injury and not worry about possible recruiting implications. I do think it should be moderated.

Yes. I envision people being able to submit an anonymous post for the moderators to share wtih the board in some way.

I think if you had some people that arent scared of others knowing they are on this site they could post in some of the facebook gymnastics parent groups...though there are some CGM in those groups that likely would not take well to the uh feedback they would receive or the required self reflection that feedback may entail. Some of the facebook groups aren't so cringey I am in one for upper optionals that seems totally normal but there was one I was in that had a whole army of level 3 and level 4 perfect future Olympians with full gymnasiums in their basements.

Maybe even someone reaching out privately to moderators of facebook groups and asking if the moderator could do an informative post about this site as an additional resource could work then its not tied to anyone person heres facebook account etc.

I also think coaches could really benefit from being on here so is there a way to get more coaches on here to see the mind and concern of the parent and that even if we are crazy we arent THAT crazy lol. Also for parents to see what many coaches are thinking to know they are human too. Are there any coaches resources you could post about this site on?

Yes, I think having a way to post anonymously through a moderator is a good idea. They do that on some of the FB groups I am on and many people take advantage of it.

Nooo. I prefer the anonymity. And I am probably not even as anonymous as I think I am because the gym world is so small. We do not live in a strong state for gymnastics--there are barely any gyms that can produce above level 7/8 in the entire state. And furthermore, the gyms in this state could make a whole reality show series as dramatic or more so than "Dance Moms." I once wanted to post for feedback/advice about a gym situation so outlandish that there was no possible way I could describe it even under my chalkbucket user name without in some way "outing myself." I remember asking bogwoppit if there was any way I could post anonymously, and she basically said not really. I have ended up sending private messages to some of the more seasoned chalkbucket parents over the years and was VERY grateful that some of them sent great info and great responses. In many ways, this sport has felt like a very crazy mafia. I will throw a party the day we are done with all of this. Not because the sport itself isn't enjoyable and amazing to watch but the emotional experience and investment has been horrible.

Another unsettling thing I experienced was reaching out to a long time poster/member on CB several years back who gave some pretty decent advice, and then come to find out that person was one of the "bad guys" when all of the Larry Nassar stuff blew up. It really brings out the paranoia. It is so hard to find a safe place to ask questions about this sport.

I’m happy to receive posts for anonymous reposts.

We'll be able to do it with an add-on. What I'm hoping is that we can keep people totally anonymous... meaning... we (staff) won't even know who posted. However... I want to make sure we have to approve the anonymous posts before they just fly out into site. Sometimes people say a little too much when they are completely anonymous.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back