ChalkBucket Is Secret?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you share ChalkBucket with your gym friends?

• Yes

• No

• I'm never thought of it like this... I will share the site now!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another unsettling thing I experienced was reaching out to a long time poster/member on CB several years back who gave some pretty decent advice, and then come to find out that person was one of the "bad guys" when all of the Larry Nassar stuff blew up. It really brings out the paranoia. It is so hard to find a safe place to ask questions about this sport.

We did have a member that did make some comments that were not in line with my beliefs (or really anyone)... however... I would definitely not call him a "bad guy". I think he did truly mean well.

We did have a member that did make some comments that were not in line with my beliefs (or really anyone)... however... I would definitely not call him a "bad guy". I think he did truly mean well.
We may be talking about the same person, but I think you might be talking about the coach in California who was a bit more open about his identity. This was even before that--very old school coach who was around for years. I just pointed it out because it was sort of shocking and gave me a general feeling of "who can you trust" in this sport.

Another unsettling thing I experienced was reaching out to a long time poster/member on CB several years back who gave some pretty decent advice, and then come to find out that person was one of the "bad guys" when all of the Larry Nassar stuff blew up. It really brings out the paranoia. It is so hard to find a safe place to ask questions about this sport.
@LJL07 ...I had a similar experience with that same poster and the Cali one too and it totally freaked me out when I figured out who they were. I was so thankful for the anonymity of CB because those 2 were always at JOs and I didn't want any repercussions from either of them.

I don't really tell anyone about this site or any of the facebook groups either. Basically I don't talk to the other parents about any of this kind of stuff anymore. I don't really try to remain anonymous (I mean I know a few people at least know who I am or what gym we go to just based on my posts), but I don't think anyone really cares either. I have learned not to complain anywhere though.. I just prefer to keep a low profile. I would probably not ever post anonymously here or anywhere honestly. I just like to read and talk about gymnastics and so come here to learn and talk without feeling judged.

So, rookie mum and former lurker here. Couple of reasons I can think of.

First reason I do not mention it to my gym parent friends is that I don't talk to any of the other parents. We all used to sit/chat/pretend-to-work in the lobby while waiting for our little pride and joys to finish their sessions and talking definitely happened (I may have even mentioned ChalkBucket), but sadly Covid has put a stop to that. We now drop them off and sit in the car, do the grocery shopping, go home or do whatever else we do to pass the time. My little one hasn't had any competitions yet either, so again no parents to talk to during the waiting there. I am assuming this will come back in the future, but we're not quite there yet.

Second reason is probably that we live in a small country with not that many clubs and sometimes that makes it difficult to talk about things that are very specific to this country or our club without outing ourselves. A lot of the things that are talked about are also very specific to the USA, so need to comment if you are not in the USA

Third reason there is already a lot of information out there. A lot of the questions that I had as a newbie gym mum have already been answered many, many times: is X hours too much (depends), is my gymmie going to the Olympics (highly unlikely), should I buy her a beam/mats/bars/grips/etc (nope/guilty/nope/nope), do I mention Y to the coach (yes, probably). I didn't feel the need to rehash all of that, so kept lurking.

Fourth reason, learning what DD, JO, FX , WAG, etc. stand for takes time and a little lurking is great to just learn the terminology (although a glossary with commonly used abbreviations would be so helpful!).

Final reason, you are all wonderful people, I am sure, but all you veterans with six kids doing lvl 10/hopes/elite/whatsnot, you can be a little intimidating. Your children are doing some serious time in the gym, have been there, done that, are wondering which college would be best and then there is my little one who could barely do a rolypoly. Now I know, everyone is super helpful, but some of us probably feel a little bit like an 8-year old talking to the coach.... it is a bit scary

Anyway, just my thoughts

Give us some feedback on this one... I'm adding a poll to the top.

Don't hold back on this one. We really need to understand why so many feel like they cannot share this site and need to keep it secret? Post and tell us.
I share the site with a gym moms. I am more introverted to begin with so I personally feel more comfortable searching for responses to questions than talking to another parent. I do talk over stuff with parents I feel comfortable with. At our gym super competitive parents. I am sure they know about this site and probably wouldn’t share. I think most people come on the site for honest advice and be anonymous. I personally like this site because it’s a great resource for questions/concerns.

I have mentioned CB and other social media groups by name in conversations to our coaches and parents. I just assumed they knew about it.

Exactly!

Sorry not sorry but every time I post something it makes the rounds and 6 degrees of separation later I get yelled at by someone. Our regions gym world is too small to share more space with
Yes! It's ridiculous to get in trouble for something posted on chalkbucket but it definitely happens! There is nowhere safe!

I don't talk about this site. Honestly the gym world is just too small and once you get to a certain level everyone knows everyone so I prefer being private. There are a lot of great people out there but there are also just as many who are crazy and vindictive and will do anything to try to give their child an edge. Plus I also want to protect the privacy of my daughter. It blows me away the number of gym parents who go on public boards and tell every detail of their child's mental health struggles, how and when they got their period, how they have no friends etc. My heart breaks for those kids! I can't imagine having all my personal struggles put out there for the world to see and discuss, so I try to maintain a low profile.

To further reinforce the point about the gym world being a small one, where we are based according to the governing bodies report from last year there are a total of 305 junior WAG competitive gymnasts and 169 senior ones- across the whole country. If I now mentioned what levels my girls were competing, it wouldn’t be that difficult to figure out who we are -for people involved in the sport here- or at least narrow it down to a very few possibilities . This means I’m quite wary of sharing this forum widely…what if I need to ask some advice on a matter that may be sensitive etc?
I see value in increasing the membership base and breadth of the forums and also the value of open dialogue in the sport but then on a personal level I don’t want to be “outed”. Not sure I have any real answers on this one as I myself am conflicted on it. ‍♀️

I tried to do a shrug emoji at the end of my last post but somehow that got lost in translation along the way!

Your gym friends, enemies, frenemies are probably already on Chalkbucket.
If you ask questions about gymnastics on Google Chalkbucket is the #1 or #2 result.
Try:
my daughter discouraged in gymnastics​
my daughter trouble with kip​
trouble moving up to gymnastics level 4​

If you ask questions about gymnastics on Google Chalkbucket is the #1 or #2 result.
Try:
sure, but they don't know that "you" are on CB as well, until you open up and say - "hey have you heard about CB?"

Try:
I should have said: they KNOW about Chalkbucket, if they search the Internet for answers.
It is possible that well connected people can ask coaches and friends and don't need the Internet. But I really don't know.

Ok everyone... here you go...

You can only post anonymously in the "Anonymous Posting" forum. Let me know what you need to know about it.

Here is the check box that makes the posts anonymous or public...

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.26.17 PM.png

You'll see it right below the text box when you are posting. Click "more options" if you can't see it.

Me not telling some of the gym moms that I’m subjected to is doing A LOT for the culture of this forum — unless people want to read posts about not giving your kid snack because they slack in practice, or not letting them go to sleep until they get the skill everyone else on the team was able to get in one practice.

Me not telling some of the gym moms that I’m subjected to is doing A LOT for the culture of this forum — unless people want to read posts about not giving your kid snack because they slack in practice, or not letting them go to sleep until they get the skill everyone else on the team was able to get in one practice.

Those are things that are helping crush the sport by crushing one kid at a time... so we'd love to have them here to show them a different point of view.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back