Parents Chances of going to USAIGC regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jeb Jones

Proud Parent
So, this is the first year for our 10yo daughter on team. She's been doing gymnastics since age 8 and definitely has the strength and ability for it. We put off joining team sooner because of the time commitment and because she was enjoying doing gymnastics recreationally. But it just got to a point where she was too far ahead of the other girls in the rec classes. She joined the team this fall at the Copper 2 level in USAIGC.

Her first judged competition will be in December, but I've already noticed that if she qualifies in the spring, we will have a conflict for regionals in Wildwood NJ over the Memorial day weekend in 2017. I'm trying to assess how likely that is, so we can be prepared to make the appropriate changes to our plans.

I can see what the qualifying scores are (30.50 AA at states to qualify for regionals), but I have no idea how selective that really is. Our gym says they try to set the gymnasts up for success by placing them at a level where they will be challenged, but still likely qualify for states if they put in the effort. Historically, nearly all of the gymnasts at our gym have qualified for states at their respective levels. I see from the USAIGC handbook that this requires a AA 29.50 in a local competition.

I don't know if the state tournament is judged more strictly than local tournaments, or if they are all judged basically the same. Obviously, whether one qualifies for regionals will depend on the individual, but can anyone tell me how selective regionals really is? Do more than 50% of gymnasts qualifying for states also go on to qualify for regionals?

Since I gauge my daughter as a little above average on her team, I would guess that if regionals are not very selective (50% or more of state qualifiers will also qualify for regionals), that she is likely to make it to regionals. Also, if judging is generally the same for local meets as for the state meet, I should be able to assess her chances of going to regionals based on her scores in upcoming local tournaments.

Finally, if she does qualify for regionals, how important is it for a first-year competing gymnast to go to the regional tournament? Is this a great honor for the gymnasts, or is this more of a money-making venture for the organizing body?

Thanks.

-J

In our (limited) experience with usaigc, basically everyone qualifies for regionals. I would find it safer to assume she'll qualify, not that it means you'd have to let her compete. If you do rearrange plans- and this is just general gym parent advice- don't tell your DD why you're doing it. That's a lot of pressure that she doesn't need.

We do IGC. Our gym specifically doesn't do regionals because it is on Memorial Day weekend and getting to the Jersey shore is a traffic nightmare. Hotel prices are high and they typically require a 4 night booking. Regionals does not effect going on to the National/World meet, which I believe is Cancun this year. And there is no meet that qualifies you into regionals. So regionals in IGC is just not that big of deal. We do states and some of our kids/families elect to do the National/World meet. But that is voluntary as it is a travel meet and expensive.

I believe they are even having and Invitational meet in South Africa this spring.

I would check with your gym and find out how they handle it.

PS in IGC along with a score you must do 3 local meets to qualify for States.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back