Changes to TOPS state level testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry I ve been try to delete this chart and repost it and Im making a mess of things for the past hour..:(

I will delete it, just post the link. Pasting documents here is AWFUL. Dunno and I once spent two hours messing with a word document, thought I would go crazy!!

My dd has had one test already. It is my understanding on the skills part such as beam that if they fall off they get a 0 for the entire routine. (even though there are several skills). They are also being strict on stuck landings. That is going to make it difficult for these girls that are only going to 2 testings. Hopefully my DD will be going to 4 testings in 2 states to try and get the highest score to qualify. This will be her last year for TOPS and hoping she can make it 3 for 3:) Good Luck to all the other girls testing!!!

The grading system is certainly different now. It will be interesting to see how everything pans out. Last year was my daughter's last year. So we are out of the loop. But we loved you experience with TOPS. First time she qualified to national testing, we were just happy to be there. Second time, we really were hoping she makes the team. She didn't. But just being around very talented gymnasts improved her expectations of herself; hence, her gymnastics. Good luck to those testing. Keep us posted.

I have to report that Ive been to 2 TOPS Tests so far.. Each had clubs from other states.. THis should be a very interesting
year for TOPS as in my opinion I saw no consistency in either test. The coaches from the out of state reported the same in their opinions...

I have to report that Ive been to 2 TOPS Tests so far.. Each had clubs from other states.. THis should be a very interesting
year for TOPS as in my opinion I saw no consistency in either test. The coaches from the out of state reported the same in their opinions...

That's exactly why our gym said they were going to opt out this year and see how it all plays out for next year. After observing the first test, which they hosted, they said they may send 2 guinea pigs to the last testing.

We have attended one TOP test so far this year. When you mention a lack of consistency, do you mean in judging of the skills? I think there has to be a lot of subjectivity in the grading of the skills. Do you think they will weight the physical abilities more heavily to counteract the potential inconsistent judging on the skills?

We are so new to TOP testing that we don't know what to make of it. My daughter seemed to enjoy the process, but we have a difficult time reading how well she did. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Even if youre not new to TOPS, its confusing this year.. Ive had TOPS national qualifiers and kids on A and B team over the years
and with all the changes Im confused. Im not sure how much skills will way in but,I do know skills total is 72pts. Do you know how
your daughter did? I asked for copies from each test and then made each girl her own copy..As far as consistency.. I had a 9 yrold testing as a 10 yrold score in the 40s and then the following week in the 20s on skills...

My dd has had one test so far and I think did fairly well. She had a fall and didn't stick some landings but still scored in the 50's. Since a 48 is an average of 4 (=good) on all of the skill sections, I'm hoping she scored high enough to qualify to national testing. The judges were strict in stuck landings and gave 0's for falls and being spotted on skills. Hopefully, judging in other states is the same. She is only going to one more test so has one last chance to improve her scores. Does anyone else have scores/experiences to share?

My daughter seemed to do well on the fitness part, but her coach didn't let us know any of the scores for either part of the testing. After talking to the more experienced parents, it appears that he doesn't share the scores with the girls or parents. I'm sure there is reason, but it'd be interesting to know how she did. She completed all of the skills, but I thought a few looked a little messy. I have no idea how she will do. It's interesting to hear about other girls' and gyms' experiences. I think she'll test one more time and we'll hope for the best!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back