Parents Changing gyms: what surprised you at new place?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tortuga

Proud Parent
What surprised you that the new gym did differently than the old gym? Not necessarily good or bad, jut different "normal."

I'll go first with a few anecdotes from other families as we haven't made a move yet:
- gym allows girls to wear shorts only on menstrual days vs. shorts anytime
- gym encourages/plans team meals for away meets vs. families on own schedule
- season fees paid post season based on actual coach travel costs vs. set upfront cost before season start

Daily rapport with coached vs. a few times a year. (One gym was super small and one huge.)

Cost difference even being only 10 miles apart. The better gym was cheaper per hour.

hmmmm..

- 5 coaches for team versus 1
- groupings for levels versus all levels
- staff member in charge of team logistics, not coach or parent
- lower price
- lots of communication via email and in person
- practice "uniforms"
- team contracts and expectations

The new family quickly pointed out that inappropriateness and it stopped. cuz. no. I decided if we ever went to such a place, my gymmie would be bleeding every day on principle -- are they gong to check?
That's what I was thinking, are they going to chart every girls cycle?

Such a strange policy.

Shorts on menstrual days????

That's creepy and inappropriate to me.

It should be shorts or no shorts, regardless of if someone is on their period.

So weird.
I have heard of that rule at a few different gyms and always thought it was weird.
The gyms claim that they don't want girls to wear shorts at all because they don't wear them in competition and don't want girls to be uncomfortable in competition... But they "understand that during their periods, girls need a little more modesty."
At least that was what one parent said was in their handbook.
Other gyms allow shorts except for the week before a meet.
Others never allow shorts, allow shorts all the time, or only allow specific types of shorts.

hmmmm..
- 5 coaches for team versus 1
- groupings for levels versus all levels

Meaning you had a coach specialized in each event so you didn't have, e.g., a L6/7 coach but had a coach for vault, different one for floor, etc? Which coaches attended meets? We've had 3 coaches covering 5 levels, each with events of focus, but can/do coach all events. Kids mainly practice with own level.

And what do you mean groupings for levels?

Meaning you had a coach specialized in each event so you didn't have, e.g., a L6/7 coach but had a coach for vault, different one for floor, etc? Which coaches attended meets? We've had 3 coaches covering 5 levels, each with events of focus, but can/do coach all events. Kids mainly practice with own level.

And what do you mean groupings for levels?

sorry..I have a MAG :)

Anyway..at old gym...all levels -5-10 practiced at same time with one coach.

At new gym, each level (or 2 levels) has its own practice and there are 5 coaches spread out. So, L4s, L5s, L 6-8, L JD- 10. They pretty much each do a level, although D has had each one at some point. He has 1 main coach that does all of his meets.

I have heard of that rule at a few different gyms and always thought it was weird.
The gyms claim that they don't want girls to wear shorts at all because they don't wear them in competition and don't want girls to be uncomfortable in competition... But they "understand that during their periods, girls need a little more modesty."
At least that was what one parent said was in their handbook.
Other gyms allow shorts except for the week before a meet.
Others never allow shorts, allow shorts all the time, or only allow specific types of shorts.

I know this is off topic, but I saw a girl competing in leggings at a meet this year. She got good scores. I asked my daughter "what was up w/ that" - she said you are allowed to compete in shorts or leggings if you want, it's just frowned upon by a lot of gyms???? Is this true? Is there really not a rule that you can't compete in shorts at a meet?

I think the shorts only when menstruating rule is very weird mostly cause it's like announcing to the whole gym that you're on your period! - that is really awkward and strange. People also could use it to blame the girl for being in a bad mood ;). "Did you see how nasty Susie was being about doing her conditioning? - yeah, well she was wearing shorts, so that's why!" - haha.

I can imagine a gym having a hard time w/ actually collecting some of their money with "a pay for everything at the end of the season after actual costs are determined" policy. I could see some quitting members just leaving and not paying. Of course, maybe that gym has a really good record of retaining costumers.

The team meal thing sounds kind of nice. I wouldn't mind if our gym did that provided it was optional. What I think would be really cool is a team bus to travel meets, but never heard of gym doing that.

Okay, I have a different take on the shorts while on your period thing...

I took it as gym preferred no shorts ever, but would allow if a girl was on her period.

Some young girls don't like tampons, and a pad in a Leo would be rather obvious, so they allow shorts to facilitate the girl being more comfortable with situation. Granted, it still broadcasts to whole gym what time of the month it is, but at least it's the gymnast's choice.

Reactions: sce
My daughter is 11 been at gym since 6, team since 2 for rec (2 gyms actually) has worn shorts to every practice. They only time she doesn't is meets. And she has no problem transitioning from shorts to no shorts. Has not had her period yet.

New gym does not have a booster club. At old gym, we paid hundreds of dollars (maybe >$1,000) up front for meet fees and coaching fees (travel, meals, etc.) before the season started. At the new gym we are charged meet fees as the kids are entered in meets - so $100-$150 here and there. No additional fees for travel, food, etc. With no booster club, communication is also much better because it's coming directly from the gym.

I know this is off topic, but I saw a girl competing in leggings at a meet this year. She got good scores. I asked my daughter "what was up w/ that" - she said you are allowed to compete in shorts or leggings if you want, it's just frowned upon by a lot of gyms???? Is this true? Is there really not a rule that you can't compete in shorts at a meet?
From my understanding, as long as the leggings are the same material and color as the leotard (same with shorts- tight fitting and match the leotard), they can be worn in competition.
If a gym is unsure, they can "get permission" from their regional something committee. All it says in the R&P is no boxer shorts.

I have a friend with a daughter who does gym in a different state, and there are three girls on her team who wear both leggings and head coverings while competing.

We've had the range of rules for shorts- yes all the time, no all the time, no during meet seasons, no except in "special circumstances"- read during their periods. My daughter prefers all or nothing. She has worn pads with leos for years with no issue without shorts.

A big change at our new gym was that our coach lets parents pay when they can for meet fees- before or after the comp. I know at the beginning of the season he was still collecting from last season.

The biggest change ever though was how flexible practice times are. The HC will often show up halfway through practice- but.. he will stay hours after practice at times, still working with the kids who want to/are able to stick around. This is why my kids will often show up for a four hour practice and still be going 5-6 hours later.

I was (happily) surprised at how organized the team program was compared to where we came from.

We just recently switched and the thing that surprised me is the number of drills and progressions they do to work towards getting a skill. Also, they do a lot more spotting. It was definitely a big difference and dd seems to be getting more confidence in this kind of environment, she's trying things she never would have tried before.

I was surprised how not one minute on the floor is wasted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back