WAG Changing the Olympic team from 5 to 4....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the frustrating aspect is that non of the MAG or WAG committee members or the athletes commission were in favor/voted for this change. Just all the minority nations (in terms of athletes/quality programs/results) voted for this. I get that we need to hear the minority's voice but not to the point where it overpowers everyone else. The number of FIG positions held by members of nations that I don't even know about having a gymnastics program or scores about 11 at worlds is astounding. These countries can't organize a successful program within their own country so why are we taking direction form them about our sport! Is the aim to water gymnastics down to the point that a level six skill set is acceptable at worlds. We already have a large participation event... its called Gymnastrada, leave 'elite' for the actual elites, and if that is your aim and you are not there - keep working, but don't change the rules because you can't keep up.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I think there is some validity in this new approach. There are plenty of countries with good gymnasts who probably don't qualify to send a team but are on the cusp of producing an individual athlete that could be competitive. New Zealand is one example. Their population would make it difficult to compete with the stronger countries, but as their program develops, they will have one or two gymnasts that have Olympic-worthy skills.

I can't see how this is different to swimming, track and field, triathalon etc. How many times would there be a top 10 athlete in the world watching because they are the the third or 4th best in their country. It often happens for Australian and American swimmers, and I'm sure it happens for Jamaicans on the track, as well as some athletes in the veladrome. The Olympics is about participation and promoting sport, not just about having the best of the best compete.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I think there is some validity in this new approach. There are plenty of countries with good gymnasts who probably don't qualify to send a team but are on the cusp of producing an individual athlete that could be competitive. New Zealand is one example. Their population would make it difficult to compete with the stronger countries, but as their program develops, they will have one or two gymnasts that have Olympic-worthy skills.

I can't see how this is different to swimming, track and field, triathalon etc. How many times would there be a top 10 athlete in the world watching because they are the the third or 4th best in their country. It often happens for Australian and American swimmers, and I'm sure it happens for Jamaicans on the track, as well as some athletes in the veladrome. The Olympics is about participation and promoting sport, not just about having the best of the best compete.

I do see your point, but the sports you mention (swim, track) are individual events, not a team sport. These sports (other than relays teams which is still different) don't field a team of 5 or 6 backstroke swimmers and take the top 3 scores to count for team. It's not the same. Swimming and Track is about individual races, it's not the same concept. Gymnasts is about team AND individual. I see no reason why countries who can't field a strong team (as you mentioned New Zealand) wouldn't just send their qualifying girls to compete in the individual AA and event titles. How is that not fair for all? Let the those who can field teams compete as team and those who can't or don't want to compete for the individual titles for their country

I see no reason why countries who can't field a strong team (as you mentioned New Zealand) wouldn't just send their qualifying girls to compete in the individual AA and event titles. How is that not fair for all? Let the those who can field teams compete as team and those who can't or don't want to compete for the individual titles for their country

Hi flippin out, my understanding was that there are only so many spots for athletes in each sport, so by cutting the number of gymnasts on a team by one, that opens up 10 more spots for individuals, which then gives these emerging gymnastics nations an opportunity to qualify an individual.

At the end of the day, it sounds like every country will just have to "play the umpire's whistle" with these rule changes. It will be interesting though, as having depth won't really be rewarded as it has been in the past. Only having four compete with three scores to count means any nation that qualifies a team could have a good chance of doing well on the day. Maybe Australia can finally get that Olympic medal in gymnastics they are so keen on! You know how sports mad our country is...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back