DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
For everyone that has been hearing about ChatGPT... it's pretty interesting. It definitely needs to learn more though...

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 8.58.04 PM.png

A bunch of junk... now we'll regenerate and see if it gets smarter...

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 9.02.46 PM.png

Nope... didn't work... let's tell it that it is wrong and see...

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 9.04.57 PM.png

Let's try something easier...

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 9.07.17 PM.png

Ok... getting better... so it's pretty good at writing about stuff that has been in Encyclopedias for 100 years.

Definitely a bit worried... but last time I remember worrying about AI it looked more like...

film fire GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

I have to say... right now... I'm more worried about the social media algorithms than ChatGPT.

Anyone else following OpenAI and ChatGPT? Have you tried it yet? What do you think?

@JPC13 What do you think with your job?

I’ve experimented with ChatGPT and it seems to be a hot topic. Honestly, it’s a lot dumber than I first thought. It’s just been fed staggering amounts of data and since it’s very interactive people have been captivated by it. It’s going to improve though, since growth in these fields is usually exponential. I think we’re a long way away from “the singularity“ though lol. It’s fun to mess around with but the fact some kids use it for schoolwork is kind of concerning. I don’t, since I know I can write more specific essays than it can currently but I will admit I have used it to check code for a coding course I take. My dad thinks “white collar number crunching” jobs will be replaced by AI in the next few decades but those are his words, not mine. I don’t think it‘ll have much impact on gymnastics unless they start a robot-gymnastics olympics. Well, it’s possible!

I'm an openai API user. I've trained a couple of verbal models with some success.
AI is definitely the next big thing, but because GPT/chatGPT is a predictive model, it'll always be dumb as dirt. A predictive model can't even COUNT. Ask it how many words are in a sentence. Then laugh.
I found this podcast really helpful in parsing the difference between predictive and symbolic AI. It's not as boring as it sounds.

I honestly don’t think high school teachers are too worried about chat GPT yet because it isn’t very good. I put a couple of my kid’s English assignments through it out of curiosity, and the output might have got them them a C, and only that if the teacher had never encountered chatGPT before. It’s always beautifully structured, but only has surface level insight. And once you have read a few chatGPT essays it’s pretty easy to pick them. Our local paper had a quiz the other day where they published a range of items and you had to choose whether they were chat GPT or a real kid and it wasn’t hard.

Whereas social media algorithms are genuinely a worry. They’re dumb too, but they’re dumb in a dangerous way and we know from extensive research that they can set up rabbit holes and echo chambers that radicalise kids.

* when I say it isn’t very good, that is being a bit dismissive. It is actually quite amazing and definitely fun to play with - especially when you ask it to write ‘poetry about x in the style of y’ or something like that. But it is very, very surface level, if that makes sense.

But it is very, very surface level, if that makes sense.

Yeah. Fourth grade reading level. Lots of repeated phrases and filler. Nothing interesting said at all. A kid will always have some funny sidearm in there, right?

I honestly don’t think high school teachers are too worried about chat GPT yet because it isn’t very good. I put a couple of my kid’s English assignments through it out of curiosity, and the output might have got them them a C, and only that if the teacher had never encountered chatGPT before. It’s always beautifully structured, but only has surface level insight. And once you have read a few chatGPT essays it’s pretty easy to pick them. Our local paper had a quiz the other day where they published a range of items and you had to choose whether they were chat GPT or a real kid and it wasn’t hard.

Whereas social media algorithms are genuinely a worry. They’re dumb too, but they’re dumb in a dangerous way and we know from extensive research that they can set up rabbit holes and echo chambers that radicalise kids.

* when I say it isn’t very good, that is being a bit dismissive. It is actually quite amazing and definitely fun to play with - especially when you ask it to write ‘poetry about x in the style of y’ or something like that. But it is very, very surface level, if that makes sense.
Someone made an app that checks if essays and other school writing assignments are written by ChatGPT or not, so it must mean some kids actually use the thing to write their homework. I'm not sure why though, unless they're SERIOUSLY bad essay writers.

Here it is:

Students are starting to use it to cheat on their work, but so far the output is pretty poor. It seems capable of generating a response that might score 70/100 if you’re not paying attention.

Apparently there’s now an arms race between these AI response algorithms and AI based detection systems. So far the detection side is winning.

Reactions: JBS
Ok... Google "Bard" is in the house now...

You can join the waiting list for the new Bing...

I have to say... I am not really impressed by what I am initially seeing here. We'll see how I feel once all of this if fully in motion.

Are you using it to search stuff or do chat stuff?

I am not using it at all... just following it.

Google and Bing are both releasing their chat enabled search shortly... I'm waiting for that. That is what is supposed to destroy this site in general. We get tons of traffic from Google.

Ah. But won't you also get a ton of traffic from Bing too?
Or will the questions be answered via chat not link, and that's the issue?
As I understand it, Bing will show the source of the answer, which will lead to you. IDK if that's comforting at all.

Time will tell, of course, but I think people will still come to the site for personal experiences/answers. The search engines already answer a lot of gymnastics questions that one types in and people still choose to come here.

When the article about LaMDA first came out last year, I was amazed by it's ability to appear like it was conversing. Will be interesting to see what Google does with it. My overriding question is how they are addressing plagiarism with it. Will it be referencing where it is pulling the info?

Reactions: JBS
To give you an idea of the power of Google.

So far in 2023 here are the top 5 sources of people coming to the site...
  1. Google - 82.35%
  2. Direct (typing chalkbucket.com) - 11.80%
  3. Facebook - 2.62%
  4. Bing - 1.02%
  5. Yahoo - .89%

My overriding question is how they are addressing plagiarism with it. Will it be referencing where it is pulling the info?

Probably not as it is technically "learning". It is reading a bunch of stuff and giving its own answer... so it doesn't kick any of the plagiarism checkers. It's all very weird... but it would be bad if it just gave everyone the answers that they needed and they never left Google / Bing.

@TheXcelMom And Bing is basically nothing in the search world... that is why they have invested in ChatGPT... to try to level those stats that I just typed above.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back