Cheating?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with everyone so far. I don't ever intentionally cheat, but some days i just really don't feel like doing it. If i have had a bad practice and my body feels like jello, some days i just can't make myself do it! I do sometimes stop when all my teammates have finished and i am almost done, but i don't do that a whole lot (i usuallly finish first).

I don't cheat intentionally...i lose count alot of the time or just completly forget what im doing (lol:D) or if im sick i do as many of the thing as i can...so i can get better faster

I never cheat! If I loose count I think of where I think I left off and then subtract 20, that usually works for me. But when we do conditioning we usually have partners or do it as a group.

At my gym after conditioning we would go to break. It was time for break when most of the gymnasts were done. Its abouit a fifteen minute break were wed eat snacks and such. So some people would hurry through and then if you really did it right then it would cut into break. So eventually everyone cheated :(

I try to finish all my conditioning, I really do, but sometimes when you've been working really hard on the events it's like you just can't do it. Or you can but it hurts like ****. So sometimes I do cheat a little bit by resting for a couple of seconds here and there.

Last night I hit a wall on v-ups and had to turn them into lemon squeezers. I just couldn't do them; I had been tumbling just before and I was all out of stamina :(

But I made up for it by doing some of my own free will today! :D

Also sometimes you're kinda torn because if your the last one still going everyone's sort of looking at you like "how long is she gonna take?" and you feel compelled to just stop there. :p

Oh and a few of my teammates are notorious for cheating during warm-up stretches (bent legs during pike, etc) but it's harder to catch stretch-cheaters because sometimes you can make it look like you're just having a stiff day. *shifty eyes*

Last edited:
cheatin

its just so messed up to cheat your only cheatin yourself and it'll show come time for comeptition:rolleyes:

If our coaches think that we are cheating everyone does it 2 times then paraatice is longer .Pluse we have todo extra work at open gym so we try not to cheat :) .......but we do sometimes lolzzz:p

When we did conditioning in a large group, the coaches would randomly pick girls to keep count for (just a couple). If those girls were caught noticeably cheating, we'd all have to start over. It definitely encouraged everyone to be honest because you didn't know if you'd be the one who ended up affecting the entire team.

Must be something about the area gracefulone! This is how it worked at our gym too!! =)

Our coach will count the stuff for us and we will do them with her like she will count out a number..so we really cant cheat. and its not because she thinks we will or we do or ever want to its just so she can make sure its done correctly or the way she wants it done. when we do do things by ourselfs sometimes i do loose track but not really intetionally and if i do ill just ask someone what number there on and go from there if it seems accurate enough

With my boys (at least the upper-level ones), I take a fairly unorthodox approach to this: on conditioning, I allow them to determine the difficulty of their own workout. There's no "cheating" because there's no specific level of intensity they have to do; I tell them I'm completely ok with them making it easier on themselves if they need to.

Generally what I've found is that when I first start doing this with a kid (ie when a kid moves up to the upper-level group for the first time), they go really easy at first. However, after a few practices of doing the bare minimum, they realize several things. First, they're not winning any "victory" over me by avoiding something I want them to do (which is important with the 11-14 age group, where the attitude kicks in); 2) they finish before everybody else and then have nothing to do but sit around and wait for the rest of the group to catch up; 3) while they're being lazy, everybody else is getting a lot stronger; 4) The girls team is watching, and nobody wants to look like the weakest team member in front of them.

It usually takes a week or two, but after that they really push themselves without me having to do anything to encourage them. I don't have to push them; they push themselves.

There's also an element of reverse psychology at work; the more I tell them "it's ok, you can make it easy on yourself," the more they want to challenge themselves.

What I love about this is that it really leads them to be internally motivated. They don't push themselves to keep me happy, they do it because it makes them happy. They know they're getting stronger, and once you strip away the distraction of a yelling coach, that's all the motivation they need.

As if to unknowingly prove my point today, here's how practice went for the upper-level boys.

Several guys were out of town, so I only had three today for the level 6 and up workout. Two had injuries from outside of the gym (one skateboarding, the other I don't know), and the third was just feeling cruddy. They just didn't feel up for tumbling or swinging, and so they (all three of them) asked me if it was ok for them to just spend the whole workout conditioning.

Last edited:
With my boys (at least the upper-level ones), I take a fairly unorthodox approach to this: on conditioning, I allow them to determine the difficulty of their own workout. There's no "cheating" because there's no specific level of intensity they have to do; I tell them I'm completely ok with them making it easier on themselves if they need to.

Generally what I've found is that when I first start doing this with a kid (ie when a kid moves up to the upper-level group for the first time), they go really easy at first. However, after a few practices of doing the bare minimum, they realize several things. First, they're not winning any "victory" over me by avoiding something I want them to do (which is important with the 11-14 age group, where the attitude kicks in); 2) they finish before everybody else and then have nothing to do but sit around and wait for the rest of the group to catch up; 3) while they're being lazy, everybody else is getting a lot stronger; 4) The girls team is watching, and nobody wants to look like the weakest team member in front of them.

P.S. This is L7-L10 (the highest levels at our gym)
It usually takes a week or two, but after that they really push themselves without me having to do anything to encourage them. I don't have to push them; they push themselves.

There's also an element of reverse psychology at work; the more I tell them "it's ok, you can make it easy on yourself," the more they want to challenge themselves.

What I love about this is that it really leads them to be internally motivated. They don't push themselves to keep me happy, they do it because it makes them happy. They know they're getting stronger, and once you strip away the distraction of a yelling coach, that's all the motivation they need.

I love that method!:D I am the type of person who would push themselves all the time, but I would love to have the option to take it a little lighter if I weren't feeling great that day. However, I don't think that many girls on my team would push themselves if we had that option. Actually, I can count on one hand the number of girls who would probably do anything that actually required effort.:rolleyes::(

Last edited:
SAME with me! In fact, I always try to do extra just to make me feel good about myself, for example, if a coach says to do 50 pushups, I'll do 55, hahaha, not too much more because I don't want to be behind! But yeah, it feels like everyone gets done WAYYY before and when I count for some people, they so obviously do not do the right amount! And even if they do, they don't worry about their form, they just want to get it over with! What's even worse is that these same people get skills about a month before I get the same ones, get more attention in practice and score better! And they don't even try! No fair! :(

This happens a lot with one of the girls on my team!!!! She won't do the correct number and will either have bad form! Or she will not get caught doing it incorrectly to make it easier on herself.It annoyes me sooo much but I just remind myself "hey she is only making herself weaker and it will be harder for her to move up." But sometimes I will be like Brooke are you sure you did all of them or here you do this thing like this not with bent knees or arms. Usally she will reply yeah I did all of them or ohhh well I already finished. But it is obvious that she cheats on condidtiong because she has a hard time learning new skills and she has really bad form.

As for myself somedays I will be like I just want to go home. On those days I usally end up finishing first. Not because I cheat because I have the drive to just get done and not reat and stop. Other days when we get to choose are conditiong and numbers I will pick the hardest things and have bid numbers. Those days I usally end up finishing last or not at all because other people choose the easiest things and small numbers. This is just how I feel

Today I was actually surprised by how many people I saw cheating during conditioning. We do rocks on all sides, and our coach said to do 15, and I saw that almost all people did only 7 on each side. I was left last, and I felt kind of annoying because I was left last. Also, we were doing leg raises, and we only had to do 10, so most people did 4. We have to do 15 pull up rocks in a row, people do three in a row about two or three times. It's just sad. And I was the only person today who did the 10 windshield wipers in a row.

I also noticed, that every one doesn't cheat, but if some one cheats, they cheat on everything. And if someone doesn't cheat, they hardly ever. I don't believe in cheating because then you don't get any better, and I need to catch up on uneven bars. And people who don't complete all their conditioning aren't very strong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back