Parents Checking In!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone!

I feel so out of touch lately!

I have been taking some night classes to get my real estate license. Between working full time, night classes 3 nights a week and all day Saturday, running Beetle to the gym 2 nights a week (thank goodness she has day practice 2 days a week!) and trying to find time to see DH and my other two kiddos, I haven't had much time to check in and visit my CB Friends!

So, How are things going? Fill me in! Tell me the following!

• What new skills is your gymmie working on? (If Any)
  • Tell me one exciting thing that has happened to your Gymmie
  • Tell me one struggle they are having.
I will start -

She is working a new vault - a handspring Full Off.

One exciting thing? That she gets to work Full off's again (HC Had said no for a while) AND her Switch Leap on High beam is at 180 and so nice!

One Struggle - Do I even have to say it? Pirouette!

Look forward to your answers!!
K

Welcome back, and I thought that my life was busy.............

!

Here goes my answers to your questions. ...........

1. Continuing to work on level 5 skills in addition to working on the level 4 routines.

2. When working routines, especially floor and beam, the coach will give each girl an "assignment" to work on after their turn -- like 5 leap series or such. The last few times DD has not had any assignment, coaches are really pleased with the routines, and have said that she is one of the top level 4s. That is great to hear considering how she struggled at our old gym.

3. Cut back on bars after her mill circle. She like to move her hand, to the center then move her leg back. I plan to have her do a private lesson next month for working on this in a one to one setting. Her comment is that she is afraid that she will fall of the bars.

Stay in touch, and good luck to Beetle on bars.

Barb

I will start -

K

Hi - WOW are you ever busy !!! Let's see...........

1. Since we are in the throws of meet season, not really working on new skills right now but she is very close to her front handspring (still looks a bit like a very fast FWO - steps out the landing.

2. She finished First AA in her first two meets this season and had a personal best on every event in her first meet and a 36.675 AA. 2nd meet was a little lower but her Asthma was acting up pretty bad and she had to go potty :eek:

3. straight legs. getting better but.............

Wow!!, firstly congratulations. I hope things settle down for you soon.

- just started working L6 routines, first meet is in 8 weeks. Still training L7 & L8 skills and drills for her yurchenko vault. Dd has been very excited every time she gets a new skill and is beaming when I pick her up at the gym. She tells me the names of the skills, but I can never remember them:eek:

- she's trying out for the part of the acrobat in the Opera Queen of Spades today. Wish us luck!! She was very disappointed when she didn't get Polichinelles in the Nutcracker this year, so I'm hoping for a good outcome.

- vault, as always, is the event that could get a real boost this season. One of these days it's going to click for her.

My goodness Kritilyne you are one busy woman, since the kids have gone back to school I have been bored. I am volunteering in my DD's old school for remedial reading. I help with hubby's practice and I spend most of my nights in the car.

Gosh I do nothing!:eek:

DD1
What new skills is your gymmie working on? (If Any)
Working on getting her layout on floor solidly and learning new floor routine
Tell me one exciting thing that has happened to your Gymmie
She has not been injured for two months after two years of back to back trauma.
Tell me one struggle they are having.
Vault, she was one of the best when she was younger, but not training vault for two years has bumped her confidence.

DD2
Flyaway off bars, but not as often as she'd like
Gets to go up to a higher level
Vault, she did the L4 vault last year, this year she has to use the gymnova springboard and vault over the table at 110cm to flat back, it is a bit of a challenge, but she has until January to perfect it.

Kristilyn---You are one busy lady!!! I know the feeling and I'm not taking any classes at night. Just tons of changes at work and keeping up with life has kept me feeling out of the loop.

Let's see on the questions:

New skills being worked on: nothing really since all the optionals just had skills testing. I know a few things she would like to work on, but now it will be pushing to get routines down.

One exciting thing that has happened: Wow, what timing on that!!!! Last night my gymmie was OFFICIALLY moved to L8!!!!! She and 5 teammates from last season are the new L8 team.

One struggle: Getting consistent on her fhs-front lay on the floor(fine on tumble trak and rod floor----now needs to work it out on reg floor).

Oh the life of busy moms and we are still expected to keep a clean house and have a hot meal ready at night!

Skills: DD is starting to work on the L4 rountines

Exciting: DD changed gyms and the new gym moved her out of preteam to their team.

Struggles: She has developed some pretty bad shins splits and everything hurts. I really feel her pain I have always struggled with shin splits. I even get them when I walk to much.

Yikes! You are busy Kristilyn. I am tired now just reading your post. LOL. I will send the bar fairy your DDs way if I see her hanging out at the gym. :D Glad to see you back at the CB! Hope things relax a bit for you. :)

Here is what my little gymmie has been up to:

• What new skills is your gymmie working on? (If Any) BWO on beam (she has done it about 5 times by herself, on both low and high beam but not consistent.) BHS stepout on floor. Standing back tuck (she is soo close and it is driving ME crazy as I hate watching them). Casting to handstand on bars and kips (with heavy spots of course). Handstand on vault (to prepare for vaulting over the regular vault table, not mats like L4)
  • Tell me one exciting thing that has happened to your Gymmie She will get to compete this season, the last 2 meets. She isn't going to win anything, I am hoping for at least a 28AA, LOL, but she really wants to compete and has all her routines, they just need lots of polish.
  • Tell me one struggle they are having. She is struggling with her middle circle after having it for a few months now. :( Hopefully she will get it consistent again before the first competition in 2 weeks. :eek:

Sorry in advance, but I can't resist any longer. Here goes the obligatory **brag warning**

DD had her L5 competition season cut short due to a torn ligament in her foot. After four meets, she had to shut it down for the rest of the season and was in a walking boot and crutches. We were really hoping that she would get clearance to practice before States because she had worked so hard and just wanted to be there no matter what.

With one week left before the State meet, her doctor cleared her for practice. Our director told us that he didn't want her to compete because he felt that there wasn't enough time for conditioning prior to the meet. We begged and pleaded and he agreed to let her coach work her out. DD was so excited and her coach gave the thumbs up.

She was so happy that she was going to get to compete and we had a few talks about not having high expectations, but to just try and do her best. We were sitting on pins and needles hoping that she wouldn't re-injure her foot. What happened next was unbelievable! She started out on balance beam. She was a little hesitant but had a solid routine with no falls. The judging was generous and she scored a 9.225 (19th place).

Next she moved to the vault. This has been her most difficult event and we were very worried about her foot. She proceeded to nail both attempts and had a personal best 9.125 (9th place). I checked the scores and noticed that she was in the top five with her two best events still to go. My wife and I began to get a little emotional at this point:eek:

She moved to the floor exercise and put together another solid routine scoring a 9.6 (3rd place). Last up was uneven bars, her favorite event. She had another good routine and scored a 9.625 which was good enough for first place. She also had an AA score of 37.575 which gave her a second place finish. She was fractions away from the AA state championship in her age group, but what she really wanted badly was to be state UB's champion. We were beside ourselves with joy and satisfaction for her. It was a long road and she was very satisfied. This is my favorite picture and her joy really shows through.The Chalk Bucket - TeamDad's Album: 2007/2008 season - Picture

I'll start off with saying that I am a newbie here so instead of saying "welcome back" I'll say "Hi, nice to meet you!:)" (Also, welcome back:p)

LOL, with that being said

DD1- that darn switch leap on beam. She split the beam a couple nights ago and knocked herself out:(
DD2-Round off back handspring back-tuck. She has the rebound- but super scared to flip it.
DD3- Kip, super close! She comes up to a little below her neck. Will update on her!
DD4- Mini tap swings and back hip circle.
DD1- Did her back handspring on beam that she was dead scared to do! Level 7, here we come!
DD2- Didn't fall off the beam at her last meet (which was quite a struggle in level 4)
DD3- Made her front hip circle at her last meet (which was also a big struggle in practice)
DD4- nothing new- just practicing her round-offs and cartwheels on floor
DD1- Switch leap on beam (see first question) and giants on bars (has a good kip cast handstand, but can't get those stupid toes over!!:p)
DD2- Front handspring over vault (over rotates)
DD3- The kip. She just can't seem to throw her shoulders over. She is right up there, but just doesn't go over.
DD4- Nothing yet, she just loves being there. I'll tell you as soon as she starts level 4. (Which won't be for another 2-3 years;);))

Thanks for the fun question!

Last edited by a moderator:
New skills:
DD is reworking her Level 7 beam routine to be more progresive to Level 8 hopefully next year. Trying to get a round off to a dismount.

Positives:
Teammates this year. Oh yeah they are even nice. We also got a new girl from another club and she is a perfect fit in Level 7. Yeah!!

Struggle:
I am with Kristilyn some thing are the same struggle forever!!!! Monkey struggles with her Giant for like 1 1/2 years. She now does one Yeah BUT it looks horrible more like a letter C. Soooo she is trying to figure out scooping with her feet not her stomache. I guess that is why it look like a C. A new voice on this would be good about now. I am about ready to have a different coach work this with her. The problem is right now we only have 2 upper level coaches and she is working with both. HMMM I wonder if the boys team coach want her. LOL

Life on the home front continues to be busy. My hubby is the one in school until April 09. Yeah!!! Older DD is just finishing up with Football Maraching Band. I contiue to work 2 days a week for now. Maybe more soon in this terrible economy. Have a great day all.

Hi everyone!

I feel so out of touch lately!

I have been taking some night classes to get my real estate license. Between working full time, night classes 3 nights a week and all day Saturday, running Beetle to the gym 2 nights a week (thank goodness she has day practice 2 days a week!) and trying to find time to see DH and my other two kiddos, I haven't had much time to check in and visit my CB Friends!

I will start -

She is working a new vault - a handspring Full Off.

One exciting thing? That she gets to work Full off's again (HC Had said no for a while) AND her Switch Leap on High beam is at 180 and so nice!

One Struggle - Do I even have to say it? Pirouette!

Wow your schedule is making me tired :p and Bettle seems to be chugging along nicely:cool:
My DD is having trouble keeping her kip, she almost has her long hang kip. She is busy learning the Level 5 floor routine. Her first meet is in November.:eek:

Kristilyn---You are one busy lady!!! I know the feeling and I'm not taking any classes at night. Just tons of changes at work and keeping up with life has kept me feeling out of the loop.

Let's see on the questions:

New skills being worked on: nothing really since all the optionals just had skills testing. I know a few things she would like to work on, but now it will be pushing to get routines down.

One exciting thing that has happened: Wow, what timing on that!!!! Last night my gymmie was OFFICIALLY moved to L8!!!!! She and 5 teammates from last season are the new L8 team.

One struggle: Getting consistent on her fhs-front lay on the floor(fine on tumble trak and rod floor----now needs to work it out on reg floor).

YIPPEE Congrats! DD's front Hand Front Lay's are nice! I wish she could take some of that confidence to bars! HC told us today again that the minute she gets that Pirouette she gets to go to L8. She had 4 cast to HS today, but no turn overs...

Oh the life of busy moms and we are still expected to keep a clean house and have a hot meal ready at night!
What??? A Clean House??? I should take a photo and post it.. my house is most certainly NOT clean! LOL and even if it is 'picked up' when I leave.. the Hurricane (My 4 year old) hits at about a Category 4 daily... LOL

Oh and my kids Hot Meals are courtesy of my DH, Tonight they had Sandwiches and Soup.... hey at least they are not fast food dinners!

Tell me one exciting thing that has happened to your Gymmie She will get to compete this season, the last 2 meets. She isn't going to win anything, I am hoping for at least a 28AA, LOL, but she really wants to compete and has all her routines, they just need lots of polish.

Ahhhh Mariposamama... she is going to do just fine. Beetle is kinda the same way.. She would rather get 7's and compete L8 than 9's and compete L7...

Good luck!

I'll start off with saying that I am a newbie here so instead of saying "welcome back" I'll say "Hi, nice to meet you!:)" (Also, welcome back:p)

Nice to meet you too!! You DD's seem to be well on their way to gymnastics sucess! Those switch leaps are scary to watch arent they? I can hardly watch Beetles..They are pretty, and she is solid but my imagine goes wild!

Team Dad! HOLY COW!!! Congrats to DD!!! I got goosebumps just thinking of your triumph!

Struggle:
I am with Kristilyn some thing are the same struggle forever!!!! Monkey struggles with her Giant for like 1 1/2 years. She now does one Yeah BUT it looks horrible more like a letter C. Soooo she is trying to figure out scooping with her feet not her stomache. I guess that is why it look like a C. A new voice on this would be good about now. I am about ready to have a different coach work this with her. The problem is right now we only have 2 upper level coaches and she is working with both. HMMM I wonder if the boys team coach want her. LOL
D - What is with our girls and bars??? Do you think you and I could hire a private UBER BAR Coach?? LOL I know they can do it. they are both positive and inspired!

I am so glad to hear that gym monkey has a team again! Beetle's Best Friend is a L8 - even more reason to go up a level right?

I hope the economy picks up.. DH started his own firm this month.. it is terrifying but I think in the end it will work out. if you know of anyone in my area that needs legal work let me know! LOL!!!

Thanks for all your support. Glad to hear you whole family is doing well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back