Off Topic Cheerleading

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a junior in high school, and I live in a decent size city but none of the public schools have a gymnastics team. My sister is four years older than me and she was a cheerleader. The cheer team found out that she had a little sister who was going to be a freshman and who could tumble, and was therefore instructed to get me to tryout at all costs. I made the squad as a freshman, which is a very difficult thing to do. My sister worked with me for hours and hours my first tryouts and I did the dance so much that I could do it backwards, forwards, and in my sleep. I even found that after making the squad that my ability to pick up choreography increased dramatically.

Today was my last cheerleading tryouts in my high school career, and I'm proud to say that I got first place at tryouts. At our school the top three cheerleaders at tryouts get recognition. I now have the most seniority on the squad, and I have basically been told by everyone that I'm going to be summer captain and football captain next fall.

It's funny after trouts because anyone can come watch the tryouts, and I'm the only one who tumbled, which you get extra points for. All I did was a RO two BHS because I have never tucked on a non-gymnastics floor. But probably the most amusing part was one of the basketball players in my grade informing me that I was the best back flipper ever. I just kinda nodded at him and said "right, right, that's me all right."

Tryouts are very stressful at my school because they are open tryouts; any one and everyone usually goes, and because we are required to do a cheer and two jumps all by ourselves. We also do an eight count and the school song in groups of four, but its the by yourself part that makes everyone chicken out.

Okay, I'm pretty sure nobody really cares about this super long description of my cheerleading career, but that's what is running through my head right now, and I thought that if I typed it all out then it would be out of my head, plus the "We haven't heard from you in a while" message on the top of my screen would go away...

That's great. I cheered for two years. Our squad was horrid though, and I was the only one with tight motions, splits and jumps, let alone tumbling! What really got to me though was that no one had work ethic or drive. I like cheering, and would probably still be doing it, with a different group of people. Oh yeah, and they tossed me straight back on a basket toss during a football game and it took me out of gym for a month and a half. I finished the season, and politely told my coaches I wouldn't be coming back...and they quit! So I'm glad you're enjoying yourself; I wish I could be in your situation. :)

There's a competition squad in the surrounding area that apparently is opening it up to more of an area team and they were at my tryouts. When everything was done they kinda pounced on me and invited me to tryout for their competition squad. It was really weird because they are technically from a rival school. But they were out looking for tumblers, and so they invited me. I don't think I have the time to commit to it though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back