WAG Cheese mat improper usage

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I read a post on here about how gymnasts should tumble up a cheese mat instead of down- for back handsprings, walk-overs etc. but I can not find that info. Please send this info. again as we have a coach using the cheese mat to tumble down, which has been linked to wrist and knee injuries. Any help here is appreciated- thanks

Actually, it depends on where the gymnasts are in the progression for the skills as to how they use the cheese mat. Going downhill is easier (so for those still learning it is helpful). It is similar to learning to kick over first with your feet on a higher surface.
Here is a youtube video showing it being used (starting at 1:06) in the progressions for BHS.

Never a back walkover or back bend down a hill… can be very dangerous.

Back handsprings either way.

Back bend goes up a wedge, back handspring generally goes down a wedge, and back walkover has no place on a wedge whatsoever. I draw a very hard line on wedge and trampoline use for back walkover with anyone I coach and any coaches in my gym.

@TravelingCoach Oh yes… bwo’s on trampoline… that’s always an accident waiting to happen… and it usually happens in about 30 seconds.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back