Cheyenne Wyoming Gymnastics??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymGran

Finally the move is upon us. We are looking for a high caliber gym in or near ( +/- 50 miles) Cheyenne. If you have any recommendations please let me know. It is so stressful changing gyms. :(

a gym in wyoming? i'll come back later and see if anyone posts.:)

Here is the link to the Region 3 contact page. On it you can find the contact info for the Wyoming State Chair.

USA Gymnastics - Region 3 - Contacts

Good Luck in your quest!

Oh, just for info, Wyoming had 10 girls at thier Level 8 State meet and 6 qualified to the Level 8 Regional meet; Texas had 246 in thier state meet and 106 qualify to regionals (just for comparison).

Last edited:
That is a huge difference in numbers but if you look at it as a percentage Wyoming must have some good training somewhere.

You have Wyoming School of Gymnastics in Cheyenne or GK in Ft. Collins, CO. The Wyoming gyms go to most of their meets in Colorado since there are only a few gyms in WY. Ft. Collins is about a 50 minute drive south on the interstate. That drive will certainly be longer on snowy days.

You have Wyoming School of Gymnastics in Cheyenne or GK in Ft. Collins, CO. The Wyoming gyms go to most of their meets in Colorado since there are only a few gyms in WY. Ft. Collins is about a 50 minute drive south on the interstate. That drive will certainly be longer on snowy days.
GK in Fort Collins was the place I was thinking of.

Hal is truly 1 of the best. I did not know he was still involved running that club. for those here that mostly know coaches because of their athletes, Hal coached Connie Maloney who is Womens JO director for USA Gymnastics.:) she is the boss for the womens JO Program.

That is a huge difference in numbers but if you look at it as a percentage Wyoming must have some good training somewhere.

their judging rules are not as stringent. if they were, they might have only 1 gymnast qualified.:)

Here is a link to the parents club from the Cheyenne Parks and Rec. gymnastics program. They compete over a pretty large area, not sure what levels though. Might be an okay program to get you started and keep you from driving long distances in Wyoming winter weather (which goes from October to May).
Cheyenne Gymnastics Parent Booster Club | Cheyenne, WY 82007
There used to be a poster here who was a coach in Wyoming, I don't remember where though. She had a link attached to her profile though, so if she is still a member here and someone remembers her username you might be able to get a little info.
ETA- Found her, and she's pretty far from Cheyenne. She hasn't posted in about a year, but her account name is emacmommy if you wanted to try sending a PM her way. She probably has a general knowledge of some of the bigger programs in the state.

GK is a great gym, but the drive could be difficult in bad weather. It is worth looking at though!

There's a great coach, Hal Halverson, semi-retired running a club in tiny Buffalo Wyoming.

Unfortunately for the OP, Buffalo WY is about 300 miles from Cheyenne. From what I've read several clubs are not supporting the WY state association and going out of state for all of their meets--Wyoming School of Gymnastics is one of those. I did know a family whose dd trained at the Cheyenne rec program. They loved the strong supportive family atmosphere. The downside was it is a city run rec program so practice hours were somewhat limited as was the facility. Also they don't really have much above L6, but it may be a nice place to start for a year or so until the OP and family have time to really get to know the area.

Thank you!! I truly appreciate your input. Just wondering why WY doesn't have USAG gyms.

I grew up competing in Colorado and to be honest if you're looking for a quality JO program you'll have to go to Ft Collins from Cheyenne. And I'd def. recommend GK, I'm friends with Brandie Jay and she loves it there! It's only about a 45 minute drive and commuting is pretty common, I had to do the same drive to my gym except it was a mountain drive (Breckenridge to Vail). In Summit Co. where I lived, there wasn't a single USAG program. Not saying I-25 and the plains can't get nasty in bad weather! But it doesn't happen that often, promise! Unfortunately Wyoming just doesn't have the population (they have like 400,000 people in the whole state, only about double the size of the Fort Collins-Loveland area, not including the entire Denver Metro/Front Range region which has a few million people!) Welcome to the West where we get used to driving a loooott!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back