Parents Child Development Education for Coaches? (Thoughts & Resources)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
child-development.jpg

Does anyone know of any child development training that a gymnastics club could put coaches through?

It could be anything from Youtube videos to an online paid certification. The only thing it can't really be is a college course.

What are your thoughts on the subject of coach eduction in child development... and do you know of any good resources for clubs?​

Last edited:
The last gym I worked for had an entire curriculum that was required for all coaches. It was put together by our preschool director who was a former kindergarten teacher. It was really cool to learn why young children might respond the ways they do.

I really, really, really wish our gym required this, and I would be absolutely more than happy to pay extra dues for the coaches to take this kind of a class for the team coaches (and I have heard other parents say the same!)
I agree.

From an observational perspective, understandably I think, it seems like parent coaches typically have these skills to a higher degree than do coaches without kids.

This is the problem though... what do I use to teach the coaches? There has to be some sort of resources somewhere that would be good for coaches.
We had binders that looked like they came from collegiate child development courses.

My 16 YO daughter (L9) is coaching rec classes as young as age 2, and I think she'd dearly love some child development assistance. Luckily the head of the rec program is a teacher, and is available for help, but I know she's stumped at how to deal with some of the younger kids in particular. I've also noticed some of the team coaches don't really know how to deal with the girls once they hit their teenage years. Some good child/teen development guidance would probably help that too.

I'm starting to find some stuff... definitely not directed towards coaching though.

Attachments

• FULL-LIST-CDC_LTSAE-Checklists2021_Eng_FNL2_508.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 10
Registered and learning... from page 2 of the course...

Jean Piaget was a Swiss psychologist in the early to mid-20th Century. Through his studies and observations, he found that children should not be viewed as little adults.

Awesome stuff already... I encourage everyone to have all of their coaches take this!

Registered and learning... from page 2 of the course...

Awesome stuff already... I encourage everyone to have all of their coaches take this!
I’m sorry but someone shouldn’t need a study to know that. Techniques for sure but of course they are not little adults.

I’m sorry but someone shouldn’t need a study to know that. Techniques for sure but of course they are not little adults.

For those of you that don't understand... which I would think everyone would... I only quoted a small section of the course. The course goes into much more detail.

Also... for those of you that don't understand. It is a paid course that follows copyright laws... so I can't just copy & paste the whole thing here.

I would think that most people wouldn't need me to state that... but you just don't know.

Now to comment on your actual comment.

While everyone may say that they understand this... common coaching practices do not prove this.

From last week at our gym...
  1. 5 year old messing around in class wasting time for whole class
  2. Coach points out that child is wasting everyone else's time... how do you think your classmates feel about this?
  3. 5 year old is clueless as child is not yet able to see things from other's point of view
Coach needs training as coach is treating child like a little adult.

I think 2 really big areas that coaches need a deeper understanding about in general if the pre school age group and puberty.

There are a lot of gyms doing things with pre school aged kids, that are considered dangerous with their undeveloped bones and muscles. Doctors strongly recommend that pre school aged kids do not jump on bouncy trampolines, to skills like backward rolls, head stands, bridges, back bends, flics etc. And do not jump down from surfaces above their waist height, or go onto a height above their waist height without a spot. Their bones and muscles are still very underdeveloped and their injury risk is much higher.

Puberty and growth ages are volatile for gymnasts, yet often the time when they are pushed the most to increase hours, increase workload, push through fatigue etc. Injuries at this age are common and as coaches we need to work with our gymnasts to listen to their bodies.

You would be surprised. Not everyone understands how kids think.
Oh I get that they might need to direction on how to deal. But it should (yeah I know) be a no brainer that you can’t deal with them like adults.

I learned a lot dealing with the little humans in my life but it was clear they weren’t grown ups. Heck my almost 17 yr old, I can’t even believe I typed that, is still not quite finished yet, lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back