Parents Choosing between gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymgirlsmomma

Proud Parent
My daughter started gymnastics a little over a year ago at gym A. She seemed to have some talent for it and really enjoyed it so we started trying out gym B about 6 months ago. Gym B is well known, has been around a long time, sends kids to college most years. It seems in order to join gym B team, kids are started young and mostly funneled from their preschool program. Gym A has a very fun program, but their competative team is only a few years old and xcel only. Both gyms are a bit secretive on how to get onto team. Well we meant to quit gym A, but decided to continue both for a while as my daughter has some emotional difficulty with abrupt transitions. So now we are in a pickle because she enjoys both and is learning slightly different things, which I think is actually benefiting rather than hurting in the short term, but I know we need to choose one. She is in intermediate rec at gym A and a sort of pre-pre team at gym B( still considered rec/ no contracts). Her coach at gym A has mentioned that she would like her to come more often and that she is ready for team (bronze), but girls are not added to team until next spring and there is no preteam option. Gym B has two more preteam classes following hers that she has to advance through prior to being considered for team, it takes a minumum 3-6 months per level so we could be looking at moving onto team next summer or another 2 years of preteam before level 2. Should I pull her from gym B and focus on getting ready for team with more rec classes at gym A? Or should I stick it out with gym B with possibility of being an extra year before competing, if she is even selected. Stay in both until spring? She will be 6 next spring. Thanks for reading. I know I sound kinda crazy for having her at two gyms, and for even worrying about this at 5yo, but I'm just really bad at decisions and want what is best for her. I worry that if we quit gym B she won't be able to get onto team later if she wants more than gym A can offer. Go easy on me...

I think the main thing is just to pick one and make sure she is having fun and you think it is a good atmosphere.

If she pretty equally likes both and you think she might want to do DP (and all the hours and costs that come with that) I would probably chose B.

Seems like moving from B to A later would be easier than A to B if you change your mind.

Multiple years of preteam is common at some gyms. It also seems like at those early ages (5-9) learning good basics and having fun is more important that competing.

Way too young at 5 to be fretting over gym A or B and going to multiple gyms at the same time. Stick to the one that she enjoys the most, or if she doesn't care, the one that fits best with your family. At this age it's more important she is enjoying herself and is in a positive environment. Maybe in another 3-4 years you MIGHT want to start thinking about these things.

I'm confused about them only adding team members to Xcel after spring competition season, when it's still not quite Labor Day. Did I read that right?
If that's the case, she's already two years or so from being on a team in two gyms, each with very different approaches.
I don't even think you have to pick a gym until she's on a team or a rigorous preteam, but I may be wrong about that.

I think the main thing is just to pick one and make sure she is having fun and you think it is a good atmosphere.

If she pretty equally likes both and you think she might want to do DP (and all the hours and costs that come with that) I would probably chose B.

Seems like moving from B to A later would be easier than A to B if you change your mind.

Multiple years of preteam is common at some gyms. It also seems like at those early ages (5-9) learning good basics and having fun is more important that competing.
Thanks! She likes both, but likes the coach better at gym A. I can't really go off that though since she will not have either coach once she makes team. In general the coaches at gym A are younger and more upbeat than the ones at gym B.
I am fully aware of the time/ cost of competative gymnastics and think i could manage if she wants. She has no idea about the different types of teams, just wants to compete. Both seem slow and steady at adding hours so I think she would do fine with that.
I think I'm leaning towards gym B, just feel bad pulling her from A since she likes the coach so much and the coach dotes on her so she gets a lot of individual attention there.

I'm confused about them only adding team members to Xcel after spring competition season, when it's still not quite Labor Day. Did I read that right?
If that's the case, she's already two years or so from being on a team in two gyms, each with very different approaches.
I don't even think you have to pick a gym until she's on a team or a rigorous preteam, but I may be wrong about that.
Yeah supposedly they only add new team members in May. It looks like they do meets in january to april? They did mention she may be able to join a rec competition team this season while waiting if we wanted, but I don't know if that would be any benefit to her.

My daughter started gymnastics a little over a year ago at gym A. She seemed to have some talent for it and really enjoyed it so we started trying out gym B about 6 months ago. Gym B is well known, has been around a long time, sends kids to college most years. It seems in order to join gym B team, kids are started young and mostly funneled from their preschool program. Gym A has a very fun program, but their competative team is only a few years old and xcel only. Both gyms are a bit secretive on how to get onto team. Well we meant to quit gym A, but decided to continue both for a while as my daughter has some emotional difficulty with abrupt transitions. So now we are in a pickle because she enjoys both and is learning slightly different things, which I think is actually benefiting rather than hurting in the short term, but I know we need to choose one. She is in intermediate rec at gym A and a sort of pre-pre team at gym B( still considered rec/ no contracts). Her coach at gym A has mentioned that she would like her to come more often and that she is ready for team (bronze), but girls are not added to team until next spring and there is no preteam option. Gym B has two more preteam classes following hers that she has to advance through prior to being considered for team, it takes a minumum 3-6 months per level so we could be looking at moving onto team next summer or another 2 years of preteam before level 2. Should I pull her from gym B and focus on getting ready for team with more rec classes at gym A? Or should I stick it out with gym B with possibility of being an extra year before competing, if she is even selected. Stay in both until spring? She will be 6 next spring. Thanks for reading. I know I sound kinda crazy for having her at two gyms, and for even worrying about this at 5yo, but I'm just really bad at decisions and want what is best for her. I worry that if we quit gym B she won't be able to get onto team later if she wants more than gym A can offer. Go easy on me...
Well it seems as though she could possibly make team at either gyms around the same time (if she passes the 2 pre-team levels at Gym B by next summer). Moving up levels quickly isn’t always the best thing. Keep it fun and positive for her at this age to avoid burnout :)

I had a friend whose daughter did excel for several years before switching while mine did usag. Mine had a year less time on team and was doing more advanced skills. It would definitely be easier to switch from B to A, or rather, usag to excel. That being said, try and get a feel for the culture at each gym. My motto is, “every gym is dysfunctional in its own way.” I’m a bit jaded but this quote comes from a veteran gym dad I spoke with years ago. Honestly there’s so much money and pressure and while it’s a great initial sport, it seems few girls stick with it through the whole way. So pick the gym that is best for your family.

Update: she made preteam at gym B which ups her to two days a week, so we are dropping gym A. She is excited about moving up. Any good ideas for something nice we can do for her coaches at the gym we are leaving to say thank you?
Honestly, as a coach, my favorite things are when kids write a kind note or card. And it's totally ok if you help guide them. I have had notes from kids where it's clear their parents helped with the format/structure, and they are still incredibly meaningful.

Update: she made preteam at gym B which ups her to two days a week, so we are dropping gym A. She is excited about moving up. Any good ideas for something nice we can do for her coaches at the gym we are leaving to say thank you?
For junior coaches? A thank you card from your child and an amazon gift card from you. For more senior coaches? Just the card.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back