Coaches CIT Program (Coach In Training)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thought I would ask here before I started the program at the gym. The program I ran at a previous gym we just did shadowing, because we were a fairly small gym, but this facility is much larger. I would like to implement a program that is even better!
How do you run your CIT program?
Do you just do shadowing?
Do you have them learn and take quizzes?
Are there any written materials you pass out to them?

We are starting to figure this out better...
  1. Make sure they are successful (no sink or swim style training)
  2. Alternate shadowing and teaching
  3. Only train 1 event at a time
  4. Talk about the training immediately after to make sure they feel successful
Now I'll explain...

1. Give exact assignments. For example... this rotation is 15 minutes on balance beam. You are going to do 5 activities during this rotation... they will be 3 minutes each... here they are. Timeline is strict... you cannot teach the kick walk for 7 minutes. 3 minutes... next... 3 minutes... next... etc.

2. I am going to show you the first 3 minutes of balance beam (activity 1)... then you are going to do the next 3 minutes (activity 2)... then I will do activity 3 and you will do activities 4 and 5. 3 minutes... next... 3 minutes next... etc. Alternate until they are showing that they can do two in a row.

3. Once the class rotates to the next event... have the training coach stay at beam and do it again with the next class. If they are there for 2 hours and focus on only 1 or 2 events they will get better at them. Don't start by following the whole class and working class management and all that jazz. Go beam... beam... beam... beam... beam... beam... beam... beam... that's 8 beam rotations in only 2 hours... they will get better at it.

4. Now talk about it... How did you feel about teaching balance beam? Do you feel you progressed as the night went on? Next time you come in we are going to do that with uneven bars. Here are the skills to study before you come in next time.

Sounds great on the interweb (paper)... but it's tough in practice. If you have a coach call in sick... do not use this rookie coach to cover their class... just cancel the class. Make sure you have someone to train the coach that is actually trained in training.

We start with shadowing and they are maybe assigned to spot a specific station. Then they will lead an event, and maybe warm up. Eventually they're leading the whole class. We also have a visual curriculum specific to our gym, as well as hands on trainings available.

I ran weekly training session and we would go through skills, drill ideas, practise spotting etc.

We would talk about communication, giving feedback managing groups, injuries, behaviour etc and they would role play and practise.

Everyone would have a lot of fun and learn a lot.

It's a series of videos with examples of all of the skills and progressions on our recreational skill charts.

That's great... we are updating ours right now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back