Classic Challenge

GymBeamRisky

Proud Parent
Apr 25, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Silver just 7 in the South East and only 5 in Yorkshire . 5 out of 7 girls in the SE and all in Yorkshire will get to visit the national finals ,good for them. Gold is looking a non event with just 1 entry from SE and zero from Yorkshire.

Let’s hope for better representation at higher levels from other regions, but I am not too optimistic as you will see from my previous posts on this thread.

Bex08

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Nov 12, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know the process is for qualification? Is it just top 5 across any age group for the colour - do copper qualify as well? Or just bronze , silver and gold?
Perhaps south east are splitting ages so more girls get medals which is quite nice and then overall apparatus medals/ awards

GymBeamRisky

Proud Parent
Apr 25, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Its only bronze,silver& bronze for the national finals at Guildford for Nov 5th weekend. Looks like BG may have had a word about splitting the regional bronze into age bands as Yorkshire have gone down this route as well. As you say its good that more ages will get recognition with individual medals. I think some of the younger ones have also managed to qualify alongside the older age group for the bronze final which is good news.I am assuming there is only going to be one "all ages in" bronze national final of course as I have not heard anything to the contrary since BG made the classic competion announcement earlier in the year.

I am also assuming that as with the national grade finals teams will consist of the top 6 all round qualifers in each region, 4 competing, 1travelling sub and 1 non travelling sub.

Bex08

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Nov 12, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
that all makes sense - My daughter is no longer a gymnast but there are girls she trained with which are nice to follow their progress - plus I’m a gym nerd fan lol!

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
They don't qualify through apparatus positions. The top 6 AA scores make the team for nationals regardless of age.

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
Its only bronze,silver& bronze for the national finals at Guildford for Nov 5th weekend. Looks like BG may have had a word about splitting the regional bronze into age bands as Yorkshire have gone down this route as well. As you say its good that more ages will get recognition with individual medals. I think some of the younger ones have also managed to qualify alongside the older age group for the bronze final which is good news.I am assuming there is only going to be one "all ages in" bronze national final of course as I have not heard anything to the contrary since BG made the classic competion announcement earlier in the year.

I am also assuming that as with the national grade finals teams will consist of the top 6 all round qualifers in each region, 4 competing, 1travelling sub and 1 non travelling sub.
The top 6 qualify to the team for nationals and all compete. The top 4 scores count towards the team total on each piece.

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
Do you know the process is for qualification? Is it just top 5 across any age group for the colour - do copper qualify as well? Or just bronze , silver and gold?
Perhaps south east are splitting ages so more girls get medals which is quite nice and then overall apparatus medals/ awards
Top 6 across any age make the team for Bronze, Silver and Gold. Copper don't have a national final.

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
I can't seem to start a new thread but good luck to those competing in the FIG Challenge cup this weekend. The fields are really low on numbers which gives a really good chance to qualify to the British Championships this year. I believe the top 3 qualify automatically (unless it changed) and the espoir sections only has 8 entered. That is good odds! I think most people decided to try and go the compulsory 2 route this year.

Annikins

Proud Parent
Aug 16, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some of the people who were at fig challenge were those who went to compulsory 2 and didn't pass. I've never seen people do both before (a couple of weeks apart) so I thought it wasn't allowed but it's good for them to have two chances.

I do think it's a shame that 2010's only had one chance before the British 2022. Usually year groups get the chance of a retake early in the year. And they are the age that wouldn't necessarily have had all the comp 2 skills before the first lockdown as they would have been prepping for comp 3 not 2. And they aren't old enough to try fig challenge yet.

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Fan
May 21, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some of the people who were at fig challenge were those who went to compulsory 2 and didn't pass. I've never seen people do both before (a couple of weeks apart) so I thought it wasn't allowed but it's good for them to have two chances.

I do think it's a shame that 2010's only had one chance before the British 2022. Usually year groups get the chance of a retake early in the year. And they are the age that wouldn't necessarily have had all the comp 2 skills before the first lockdown as they would have been prepping for comp 3 not 2. And they aren't old enough to try fig challenge yet.
You aren't allowed to do both in the same year. I didn't see any names in common. (Don't mention them here though).

The 2010s have plenty of time. This year was weird, but by next year hopefully everyone will be back on track and a year either way really won't make a difference.

I'm not exactly undercover on here. I have a 2004 gymnast who tested positive for covid on Friday. She'd love to have that many years in front of her to have another go. The BG app even gave her a phantom score at one point which was bittersweet with her stuck watching from her bedroom!

• Sad
Reactions: Jenny

Annikins

Proud Parent
Aug 16, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure it's not allowed? It wasn't just one person that did both! I was surprised but then when I tried to check, all I could see was that you couldn't do classic challenge and compulsory, not any mention of fig challenge and Compulsory. And tbh I can't really see why you wouldn't let people have two chances, if they have the routines. I would prefer that it was allowed!

Annikins

Proud Parent
Aug 16, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
You aren't allowed to do both in the same year. I didn't see any names in common. (Don't mention them here though).

The 2010s have plenty of time. This year was weird, but by next year hopefully everyone will be back on track and a year either way really won't make a difference.

I'm not exactly undercover on here. I have a 2004 gymnast who tested positive for covid on Friday. She'd love to have that many years in front of her to have another go. The BG app even gave her a phantom score at one point which was bittersweet with her stuck watching from her bedroom!
Sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope she isn't feeling too bad. Did that mean she couldn't go this year? What a shame for her if so :(

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Fan
May 21, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope she isn't feeling too bad. Did that mean she couldn't go this year? What a shame for her if so :(
Yep. She couldn't go. Didn't realise quite how much she wanted to until she couldn't. Always the way. But when she gets back in the gym she can get back to working on upgrades and let's hope 2022 is better for everyone.

• Sad
Reactions: Annikins

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
Are you sure it's not allowed? It wasn't just one person that did both! I was surprised but then when I tried to check, all I could see was that you couldn't do classic challenge and compulsory, not any mention of fig challenge and Compulsory. And tbh I can't really see why you wouldn't let people have two chances, if they have the routines. I would prefer that it was allowed!
Technically I think if you fail a grade it's like you haven't taken it. So probably could do both although hard to change routines over in such a short time. I also have only seen no Classic Challenge and compulsory grades/ levels in same year but might have missed something.

Reactions: Annikins

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Fan
May 21, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Technically I think if you fail a grade it's like you haven't taken it. So probably could do both although hard to change routines over in such a short time. I also have only seen no Classic Challenge and compulsory grades/ levels in same year but might have missed something.
Seems you're right. It was a very quick turn around, so they deserve some serious respect.

Trending Threads