WAG Classic Rock this weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

interesting - there are meets where parents AREN'T allowed to attend? I wonder if that practice can continue in this environment?

I was talking to Sunisa Lee's dad at the chicago-style meet this weekend and he indicated that the new rule is that at least 1 parent must attend all meet and camps...
I dont think that was what she meant, but i could be wrong.

interesting - there are meets where parents AREN'T allowed to attend? I wonder if that practice can continue in this environment?

I was talking to Sunisa Lee's dad at the chicago-style meet this weekend and he indicated that the new rule is that at least 1 parent must attend all meet and camps...

In this case it’s a bit different from a camp where it’s likely a 1:1 coach to athlete ratio. In this case there is a large group of girls traveling together, there isn’t any one on one, and the older girls are “room moms”. I look at it like a school trip where there are same-sex chaperones and very good rules in place, so I have no issue with it. Athletes travel as a team in college, too.

I too heard that too. That the child must have at least 1 parent at all traveling meets or anything.

I too heard that too. That the child must have at least 1 parent at all traveling meets or anything.

Can that really be accurate? That would even rule out sending a kid with another family, which would make it impossible for some kids to get to some meets. There is a big difference between "a coach can't travel alone with children" and "children can't travel without parents." There is also a big difference between "parents cannot be denied access" and "parents are required to attend." And between "coach takes kid to the ranch alone" and "coaches and parent chaperones take kids to a travel meet, where the chaperones and not the coaches supervise the kids in the hotel and no adult is permitted in a kid's room."

Can that really be accurate? That would even rule out sending a kid with another family, which would make it impossible for some kids to get to some meets. There is a big difference between "a coach can't travel alone with children" and "children can't travel without parents." There is also a big difference between "parents cannot be denied access" and "parents are required to attend." And between "coach takes kid to the ranch alone" and "coaches and parent chaperones take kids to a travel meet, where the chaperones and not the coaches supervise the kids in the hotel and no adult is permitted in a kid's room."
Not sure of all the specifics, but I did hear something about this new rule and having to have a parent. Not sure if it applies to meets or what, but I understood it to be that. I think that they are putting this into effect to save any coaches / gyms from being held responsible for others underage children.

I believe the rule about having a parent/guardian is specifically for athletes on the National Team attending camps and competitions.

While it may not apply to JO programs, I imagine that as a safe-guard most gyms would adopt a similar policy.

Our higher level teams are just now starting to travel to meets more than just one state away and all the girls have a parent they are traveling with. As a coach, I would not want to be responsible for traveling on my own with multiple child athletes.

Yes, college athletes travel together - but they are already away at school, and travel with multiple adults (coach, asst coach, athletic trainers, etc.)

When I competed we would travel as a team to one meet a year, but pretty much everyone had a parent with them. We (the gymnasts) roomed with our teammates, but our parents were in the same hotel and usually the night before the meet we stayed with our parents.

I believe the rule about having a parent/guardian is specifically for athletes on the National Team attending camps and competitions.

While it may not apply to JO programs, I imagine that as a safe-guard most gyms would adopt a similar policy.

Our higher level teams are just now starting to travel to meets more than just one state away and all the girls have a parent they are traveling with. As a coach, I would not want to be responsible for traveling on my own with multiple child athletes.

Yes, college athletes travel together - but they are already away at school, and travel with multiple adults (coach, asst coach, athletic trainers, etc.)

When I competed we would travel as a team to one meet a year, but pretty much everyone had a parent with them. We (the gymnasts) roomed with our teammates, but our parents were in the same hotel and usually the night before the meet we stayed with our parents.
This is what i heard, and most gyms are following suite for the exact reasons you mentioned. I think it is a great idea!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back