Parents Cleaning gym before states: is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really

Proud Parent
DD's team had 5 practices left before state competitions. The gym owner had them gloved up (but no dust masks!) cleaning up chalk dust underneath the trampoline and mats for an hour during practice. Her take was that they had just qualified for states at sectionals, and they always take it easy after a big meet, and the girls were having fun cleaning (which was true, my daughter thought it was fun). Our handbook does say that the gymnasts are expected to help clean pits and mats periodically, but I was NOT expecting them to be doing so before the biggest meet of the season, just because the owner had scheduled a new heater to be put in.

My question is, is this within the normal range of behavior for gyms? Do your kids have to do these types of cleaning tasks a.) during practice hours that you've paid tuition for, b.) without compensation (via a "volunteer point system") c.) without proper safety gear (dust masks) and d.) before a big meet?

DD's team had 5 practices left before state competitions. The gym owner had them gloved up (but no dust masks!) cleaning up chalk dust underneath the trampoline and mats for an hour during practice. Her take was that they had just qualified for states at sectionals, and they always take it easy after a big meet, and the girls were having fun cleaning (which was true, my daughter thought it was fun). Our handbook does say that the gymnasts are expected to help clean pits and mats periodically, but I was NOT expecting them to be doing so before the biggest meet of the season, just because the owner had scheduled a new heater to be put in.

My question is, is this within the normal range of behavior for gyms? Do your kids have to do these types of cleaning tasks a.) during practice hours that you've paid tuition for, b.) without compensation (via a "volunteer point system") c.) without proper safety gear (dust masks) and d.) before a big meet?

Not normal at all. I've been at several gyms and I've never been aware of our kids cleaning that gym. That being said, they would be happy to pitch in and would think it was fun. But it would seem more appropriate during a time when practice is not scheduled. And proper protective gear is a must. Don't clean out the pits without a mask and eye protection!

A. Yes, they clean up every practice, it teaches responsibility. Yes they do these types of tasks also, but it is not weekly, obviously.
B. Yes, and I think it’s good for girls to do this periodically, it’s their gym and I have no problem with no being compensated.
C. Yes, and if you really watched all the chalk flying around out there during bars, it’s probably worse than what your kid experienced cleaning...my God my kids water bottle looks like it was in the darn bucket after practice...I have since changed her to a different style of drink opening...I would rather she didn’t digest it literally. But she inhales it all the time, can’t be avoided...parents can literally see the chalk cloud in the sky during bars.
D. At this point the routines are learned and they are ready to go. Due to a family situation that was critical, the entire team had Monday off before states...didn’t even phase my dd or her teammates. And one year I do remember them cleaning for about that much time on a Monday before states, because of an issue that was legit. Do they do this every year at this time? No. There was a reason that was legitimate and I had no problem with it. Now the night before it? No. They wouldn’t do that.

Hope the responses don’t sound snarky, they aren’t meant to be. But it really isn’t that big a deal in the big pic, and won’t affect the girls at all. Good luck to your girl at states!

I don't think I've ever seen the girls at dd's gym dusting mats, but I have seen them cleaning pits before. And they thought it was the best thing ever and loved it! Of course the parents were all grossed out by it. lol. They also have to put mats away and straighten up after many practices, usually before the cleaners are coming. Sometimes they'll start in the last 10-15 minutes of practice. Most days they just get out even later (practice ends at 8:30, they don't get off the floor until 8:50 for example). But I would find the timing you mentioned a little odd.. taking an hour of practice time that close to states. It sounds like they were just using them for some cheap (i.e. free) labor. I could honestly see that happening at dd's gym too if the timing/circumstances worked out that way.

Our kids do clean up. Particularly the pit. I think they "fluff" weekly.

If its something that's a big job. They actually ask for volunteers and provide lunch.

Our gymnasts do not clean the gym. They do, however, have to clean a few mats to earn their grips back if they accidentally leave them out after practice. ;)

Our kids do clean up and also help to take down all the equipment, including the spring floor, 4-5 times a year. It happens at the end of their practice, but it is their practice time. The parents come and help as well, but the girls are definitely working, not just playing. Do they always like it? No. But it needs to be done and if the girls didn't help, it would take twice as long and that would be taken out of their practice time. I know this is not a normal practice and our situation is pretty unique. We would all love it if we didn't have to take the gym down every couple of months for a week or so but it's not up to us.

I think that it's good that the girls learn to help and take care of the equipment. This way they will respect the equipment more and make sure that they stay in good condition under their watch. And when they have to clean up the chalk around chalk bucket every now and then they will remember to do the chalking over the bucket, not all over the place. That being said, I think that the gym should provide masks, gloves etc and make sure that the work that the girls are doing is appropriate for their age and level.

All of our team girls and boys along with a parent help with a semi-annual gym clean.

As far as doing it now, the timing is strange, but if the coach felt they needed a mental or physical break but still wanted to do something productive than sure why not. Our girls took 30 minutes to hide easter eggs as a break a couple of weeks ago.

It seems pretty normal to me. I think my daughter and her teammates are regularly expected to help pick up or clean some part of the gym during practice, and I know she's helped empty out the pit to clean it at least once or twice (although that might have been during summer camp, I can't remember). The only reason I think I'd be upset by that scenario is if 1. they had the girls cleaning every week for a significant amount of their paid practice time or 2. They were cleaning areas that weren't related to their gymnastics - for instance, if they were cleaning bathrooms or the office I might have an issue with the cleaning assignment.

The kids help put mats and equipment away after practice (if they are the last ones in the gym) and periodically help to ‘fluff’ the pit. I don’t mind my kiddo taking some responsibility for cleaning/straightening up.
If it was heavy duty cleaning on a regular basis I might be upset.

Our girls don’t clean, but then again it doesn’t look like the owner ever cleans it either. I don’t knon how I would feel about only team girls having to help clean. It should be team and recreational helping on a volunteer basis.

When we hosted a Future Stars event, most of the older boys/optionals came in and cleaned for about five hours. It was kind of funny seeing how fussy and irritable they got with the girls who then came in and messed up "their" gym the next day (which was the day before the event). My daughter was in the gym last weekend for four hours helping to install a new foam floor for rec. She and her best friend glued down over 900 foam blocks! The owner threw her a little cash, but it was really a volunteer effort.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back