Parents Cleaning the Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All- I clean the gym and was wondering what vacuum cleaners people have had good luck with. We have a low pile commercial carpet in the gym plus the "Floor" area. We currently use the Oreck XL commercial and it leaves dust marks everywhere and has a bag. I think I might need something with a filter but not sure how much wear/tearthe chalk will do. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the other thread going on...

We currently use the Oreck XL commercial and it leaves dust marks everywhere and has a bag. I think I might need something with a filter

The bag is a filter. How old is the Oreck XL and does it make a high pitched loud whine? Is the vacuum working properly?

If you are vacuuming high chalk areas with an Oreck XL or any other regular vacuum... you are asking for trouble. The vacuum will most likely degrade in performance quickly and not work well.

Basically... if you use a traditional filter... you will be cleaning it every two seconds. The bags in an Oreck need to be changed when the bag is about 1/3 full.

The bag is a filter. How old is the Oreck XL and does it make a high pitched loud whine? Is the vacuum working properly?

What I mean is... do other vacuums do this same thing?

If you are vacuuming high chalk areas with an Oreck XL or any other regular vacuum... you are asking for trouble. The vacuum will most likely degrade in performance quickly and not work well.

The vacumn is brand new and I clean 1x per week with new bag.
What I mean is... do other vacuums do this same thing?

Hmmm. We can only vacuum the chalk because of the commercial rug. The new vacuums only worked well for the 1st 3 weeks. I thought they may be inferior vacumns.

Hmmm. We can only vacuum the chalk because of the commercial rug. The new vacuums only worked well for the 1st 3 weeks. I thought they may be inferior vacumns.

Is it a high chalk area?

And what do you mean by commercial carpet... like hotel / ballroom type carpet?

Yes. Hi chalk around the bars. Commercial - High traffic area, low pile carpet. It is glued down. Is that uncommon to have carpet in the gym?

Yes. Hi chalk around the bars. Commercial - High traffic area, low pile carpet. It is glued down. Is that uncommon to have carpet in the gym?

No... it's not uncommon... however... if I ever design a new gym... I will do it without carpet.

Use a shop vac like in the other thread for the bar and high chalk area. Any regular vacuum will destroy itself within a couple of uses if you run it though a high chalk area. The vacuum will continue to run... however... it will just not work as well. Usually it will sound different as well.

I am not a vacuum expert... so maybe take it in to the local vacuum store with pictures and videos of what it is doing?

Depending on your model... it may be slightly different... but you need to check to make sure it's not clogged... make sure the belt is good... make sure the roller spins freely with no hair on it (hair needs to be removed every single time the vacuum is used)...

Make sure it is not plugged in when working on it or removing hair from the roller.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back